Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know absolutely nothing about my cars brakes. I have a 2006 i4 accord coupe lx. I was looking at my cars brakes and I noticed that the front and back brakes are completely different. In the front it has the disc and the brake pads but in the back is just what looks like a concrete disc with no sign of brakes. Is it supposed to be different in the front and back? Most cars I see have the disc type brakes in both the front and rear.

Sorry for not knowing anything about cars

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Yes, you have drum brakes in the back and disc brakes up front. Many cars have this setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats exactly what it looks like. Do all accord 2006 i4 coupes have this? I am only asking this because i bought it used and it did get in a rear collision before. Is there a way to change it to disc brakes in the rear

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Thats exactly what it looks like. Do all accord 2006 i4 coupes have this? I am only asking this because i bought it used and it did get in a rear collision before. Is there a way to change it to disc brakes in the rear
Anyone correct me if I am wrong, but you should just be able to remove and replace.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
Why did they go between discs and drums in the rear? Was it based on trim level?

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
829 Posts
I thought only the DX had rear drums?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope my car is definitely an LX and it has rear drums. I just don't really like how they look but I can tolerate it. Afterall, i'm sure a conversion would be expensive.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Mine is an LX and has drum brakes too. The reason they are used is for cost cutting, sorta like cloth seats. If you upgrade to a more expensive trim level, you get discs all around. There was a time when the cheaper cars even had them on the fronts.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
My EX has rear discs. Be jealous.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
All DX & LX 7th Gen. U.S. based cars got rear drum brakes. Easiest way to switch, is picking up entire rear hub assembly & replacing, along with new rear emergency brake cables.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
My 2007 SE trim has disc's in back ...

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,677 Posts
It would likely cost you to switch from drum to disk, especially if you can't do the switch yourself. Even a salvage yard would not give the setup away. Nothing really wrong with drum brakes, and the shoes probably last longer than the disk pads. Might not look so good if you have open wheels, but LX and DX models usually have hubcaps over steel wheels that cover everything.

Even my 92 Accord had rear disks, and ABS. Not many cars had that in 92.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Might not look so good if you have open wheels, but LX and DX models usually have hubcaps over steel wheels that cover the rotor.
I have some wide open seventeens and it looks okay. The best thing about it is that they stay clean. No brake dust, unlike discs.

·
You're easy money.
406 Posts
I have shoes in the back too, hate them so much. Only benefit is that they keep your rims clean :thmsup: they don't give off too much brake dust, also if you get aftermarket rims and they are exposed, just paint the drum black. Helps is blend in more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Give me rear drum brakes

All this hate for drum brakes!! My last car had rear drum brakes and I went nine years and 100,000 miles without touching them (original brake fluid too). Now I have to disassemble, clean, lube, and reassemble my rear disc brakes twice a year to keep them from seizing up, and replace the brake fluid regularly. And our cars can't go fast enough to need rear disc brakes. Oh, and ALL cars use to have drum brakes on the front.

·
khol
106 Posts
Drum brakes are not as good as disk brakes as the pads are in the inside of a metal drum. What happens is as they stop the car the metal drum heats up and expands. As a result the driver has to put more force on the brake pedal to maintain the same amount of brake force.
When it is raining or snowing water can get in them and lessen there braking force and in some cases can cause brake failure. When she was young my mom remembers her mother working about her brakes getting wet and not working.
In all though it does not effect your braking too much if you have drum brakes in the back because your front disc brakes are the ones that do the most amount of the stopping.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts