Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Accord Touring V6. Just got it so I have a temp plate. Last night on Ohio Turnpike, the toll gates opened automatically. I had no EZ Pass nor did I pull a ticket. Looks like over the rearview mirror there is a black unit that is not an add on. I stopped at the dealer and they said there is no such thing as a built in EZ pass. Not sure how the gates opened but also don't want to ignore and in 6 months get a huge toll bill. I e-mailed the sales person who sold me the car to see if previous owners put something in there. It's a complete mystery to me. Any advice or direction would be appreciated. I have not yet read manual because I just got the vehicle. Thank you.

·
VCM DELETE
1,066 Posts
Lots of time on the Ohio Turnpike (as someone who travels it all the time) The gates will go up, they snap a pic of your plate and mail you a bill. The only time you have to worry about a huge bill is if you dont pay it, each month it adds on fees. I wouldnt worry too much if they have your plate you will get mailed a bill. I think Ohio - (Just like PA has done) is doing away with acutal toll takers and going to all EZ-pass electronic tolling

I got rid of EZ pass and use something called E-Pass - see above... (its thru Central Florida/Orlando Area) not only does it work on all EZ pass states...it also works on ALL HIGHWAYS in Florida...and incase you have never driven there, its a ton of toll roads. Also toll roads in GA too! I frequently take trips to South Florida from Ohio and this is the only thing that seems to work on all the highways.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Lots of time on the Ohio Turnpike (as someone who travels it all the time) The gates will go up, they snap a pic of your plate and mail you a bill. The only time you have to worry about a huge bill is if you dont pay it, each month it adds on fees. I wouldnt worry too much if they have your plate you will get mailed a bill. I think Ohio - (Just like PA has done) is doing away with acutal toll takers and going to all EZ-pass electronic tolling

I got rid of EZ pass and use something called E-Pass - see above... (its thru Central Florida/Orlando Area) not only does it work on all EZ pass states...it also works on ALL HIGHWAYS in Florida...and incase you have never driven there, its a ton of toll roads. Also toll roads in GA too! I frequently take trips to South Florida from Ohio and this is the only thing that seems to work on all the highways.
I've read that EZ-Pass is now accepted at E-Pass sights in FL as well.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Touring V6 sedan, Lunar Silver
44 Posts
@dforde : Just as @scar_cle says, many places (including here in downstate NY) have gone the all-electronic route in recent years: it's done by either EZ-Pass (if the driver has one) or a photo-then-billed... just like those blankety-blank :confused: red-light cameras that we have here also. There are some intersections around here that are bigtime cash cows for the county... but I digress.

I have an EZ-Pass but because I don't need it very often, it's kept in the glove box and just held up near the windshield when needed. No need to stick it on the windshield just for the half dozen times a year when I go to CT or NJ. Plus, I have LLumar AIR 80 film on the windshield and don't want to muck it up with an adhesive.

Congrats on the car, OP! I bought mine new, as a replacement for the 2002 Lexus ES 300 that I loved. And if you ever decide that those 19" rims and rubber-band tires aren't your cup of tea, well, there are options. ;) I just downsized mine at 21K miles which was how long the OEM tires lasted before not quite coming up to par for the next state inspection.

·
Registered
2017 Touring V6 sedan, Lunar Silver
44 Posts
Depending on how much time elapsed between the processing of the temp plate by the Ohio DMV, and the snapshot taken at the toll gate, the bill might end up being sent to the car's previous registrant instead of the OP ;)

If both happened on the same day, the DMV's database might not have updated before the EZ Pass system searched it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Maybe he’s talking about the bump for the FCW/LDW. That’s part of the assisted driving feature

·
Registered
1,672 Posts

I have an iPass (Illinois) and it works everywhere EZ Pass works so I've never had to get a bill from OH. Back in 2015 though, we drove through the Miami area on our way to Key West. iPass didn't work there, but I never got a bill either. I did for the Tacoma Narrows bridge back in 2019, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts