Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow how times have changed. I bought my wife a 2022 Accord Sport SE earlier this year. I never buy extended warranties or service since I've always done it myself. We were told first service on the new Honda was free. Tried to bring it in for service at the dealer we bought it from but they said it was not included and that they keep getting customers thinking it is. Decided to get the service done at a closer Honda dealership figuring it would be 40-50 bucks. They have a special they run called Ladies Day Wednesday. https://www.largohonda.com/service/service-specials/
It's a complete scam. They charged $80.00 for an oil change. Not sure if this even includes the filter. I'll be checking this later. I've always been very weary of dealers but this is just unbelievable in my opinion. I'll guess I'll be doing oil changes from here on out. Just wanted to rant a little. I feel a tiny bit better now.

Registered
Wow how times have changed. I bought my wife a 2022 Accord Sport SE earlier this year. I never buy extended warranties or service since I've always done it myself. We were told first service on the new Honda was free. Tried to bring it in for service at the dealer we bought it from but they said it was not included and that they keep getting customers thinking it is. Decided to get the service done at a closer Honda dealership figuring it would be 40-50 bucks. They have a special they run called Ladies Day Wednesday. https://www.largohonda.com/service/service-specials/
It's a complete scam. They charged $80.00 for an oil change. Not sure if this even includes the filter. I'll be checking this later. I've always been very weary of dealers but this is just unbelievable in my opinion. I'll guess I'll be doing oil changes from here on out. Just wanted to rant a little. I feel a tiny bit better now.
So... unfortunately if you look up the price for OEM Honda fluids and parts... and add in labor... $80 isn't really considered a rip-off anymore.

The MSRP of a quart of Honda 0w-20 full-synthetic is $9.58. An oil filter is $8.56.

$9.58 x 4 quarts = $38.32 + $8.56 = $46.88. Add 15-20 minutes of labor at Honda's rate and a few bucks that most shops charge for supplies or disposal of old oil... and $80 isn't really all that unreasonable.

It certainly would be cheaper somewhere else... or if you did it yourself... Dealers charge a premium for service... and they always have. Times haven't changed... dealers were doing the same thing a decade ago... or two... or three. Playing games to get people in the door- and then charging high fees.

Some dealers offer discounts or specials for oil changes... but then make up for that loss of income by pushing lots of other things that drive up the price. Full synthetic oil changes are usually twice the cost of traditional oil changes... just because the oil is more expensive.

With any dealer... really any service by any shop... get the price in writing before the service.

Registered
Dealership here is $65 without coupon. My normal shop charges $80-$100. Free first oil change is something some dealerships do, not Honda NA. There is free maintenance on some 23 models, mostly because Toyota offers it on all of theirs right now.

8th Gen Believer
I worked at a dealership. There are very few who are honest, especially now that they can't get enough new cars to sell.

Registered
Honestly, if that鈥檚 $80 for a synthetic oil change, it鈥檚 really not that bad.

If not, yeah, it鈥檚 a bit ridiculous, but nothing really unheard of. I鈥檝e seen all kinds of BS at the dealer. Quotes, stories, services lol it鈥檚 actually kind of interesting to browse the dealership occasionally and test drive that new Honda just for kicks and giggles. I miss the good old times.

Registered
2020 Accord EX-L 1.5T
One thing to consider is keep track of the exact service code the car is asking for in the dash ("A1", "B2", etc.) When I take my car to the dealer, I tell them the exact service code the car is reporting, and request the service by the exact two-part code. Of course they always call me later and "suggest" other services. First thing I do is check the code lists, which is available in the Honda website, in the Owners link, in the Vehicle Info section. If they are trying to sell me a service that is part of another, more comprehensive service code, I tell them: "No thanks, that is part of the <so-and-so> code" which is not called for the in the current service code. After that they leave me alone.

Registered
Funniest story was a co-worker bought a Toyota Truck with " 5 free Oil changes". On one of them they told him he needed a new Air filter and they would swap it for normal cost of something like $35..
He walks over to the parts counter and asked what an air filter cost for his car and is told something like $18.. He walked up to the service lady and called her out in front of everybody for misleading customers. She did the fake apology crap but he never went back and tells everybody to avoid that dealership.

Super Moderator
If you paid $80 for an oil change at a dealership I don't see how that was a scam. Last year my oil change at Acura was $59.99 after a $10 coupon. This year when I went back it was $89.99 + the fees. $80 OTD is not bad considering "Shop fees" and disposal is around $15.

My beef with the dealership was that they added around $400 worth of stuff to the B1 service which I simply told them to remove before I signed the work order.

When you DIY you can probably do it for $30 but that's the price of letting someone else do it. Even non-dealer shops are around that price.

Administrator
Honda recommends Honda-branded oil or any other brand of oil of the specified viscosity that contains the API symbol on the container.

I used to use Honda-branded oil until it became nearly twice as expensive as other oils that are recommended by Honda.

Nearly all dealers use the least expensive bulk engine oil they can get from a local supplier - not Honda-branded oil. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but they pay about $2/quart for it - about one-third what they pay for Honda-branded oil.

$40 will buy a jug of 0W-20 oil, a filter, and a new sealing washer. No need for an appointment. Change at your convenience. Save money. Know the job is done to your satisfaction. No worries about the dealer damaging your vehicle. :)

My local Honda dealer had a "ladies day" several years ago. I inquired as to whether this applied to transgendered persons who identified as ladies - they said as long as their driver license identified their sex as "female", they qualified for the discount. :)

Registered
Honda recommends Honda-branded oil or any other brand of oil of the specified viscosity that contains the API symbol on the container.

I used to use Honda-branded oil until it became nearly twice as expensive as other oils that are recommended by Honda.

Nearly all dealers use the least expensive bulk engine oil they can get from a local supplier - not Honda-branded oil. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but they pay about $2/quart for it - about one-third what they pay for Honda-branded oil.

$40 will buy a jug of 0W-20 oil, a filter, and a new sealing washer. No need for an appointment. Change at your convenience. Save money. Know the job is done to your satisfaction. No worries about the dealer damaging your vehicle. :)

My local Honda dealer had a "ladies day" several years ago. I inquired as to whether this applied to transgendered persons who identified as ladies - they said as long as their driver license identified their sex as "female", they qualified for the discount. :)
I use amsoil and a Royal Purple filter and cost me around $55 and takes 15 minutes. Hassles is taking the used oil to the autoparts store but I have a 5 gallon gas can I fill with oil
But with 4 cars it fills up fast

Registered
My local dealership offered a coupon a couple months back for an oil change and tire rotation for $55 + tax. Great deal I thought- so I called them to set up an appointment, only to find out they have enacted a new policy where they will not do an oil change or service any vehicle that is over 10 years old or has over 125k miles on it. When I asked them the reason they came back with the outlandish explanation of "that age and mileage increases the risk that something might break on it if we touch it." Say what??? :confused:

Registered
Wednesday Ladies Day - who at the dealership gets to decide who's a lady or not, or female or not? Is there a booth you walk through before service to verify female reproductive organs? Aside from the dirty sale tactic calling it "Ladies Day" - it speaks of that management's imbecility that they left themselves so open to a lawsuit.

Registered
$80 OTD is not bad considering "Shop fees" and disposal is around $15.
I would assume..hopefully everyone knows...you can drop off your used engine oil to AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts for no cost at all. No papers to sign. No ID to show. No questions. No time. Put your oil in gallon water jug(s) and then just walk in and drop it on the counter, they'll say thanks and thats it.

So...disposal fee?

And $15??? To take 4.5 quarts of oil?? ..... YES, THAT IS highway robbery.

I would have said...thanks, I'll take the oil back with me, myself. I'll dispose of it.

The dealer fee with oil change shouldnt be more than $5 MAX. Typically $2-3

Thats the dealer charging you that. Thats like the salon charging you $15 for cleaning hair on floor fee. Certainly is not costing them anything, except a few seconds of their time. But, they'll make money ANY way they can.

Whether they're going to take 15 jugs or 20 jugs to the recycle. Doesnt matter... Same "cost" to them.
If you do it yourself...there is no ridiculous rip-off "disposal fee."

Registered
A LOT of dealerships/oil-change spots will MAKE MONEY selling their used oil to recycling centers.
Like $1,000/month...profit...for just selling their used oil to recyclers.

So...yea, at $15 disposal fee...you're getting taken to the cleaners.

Administrator
I would assume..hopefully everyone knows...you can drop off your used engine oil to AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts for no cost at all. No papers to sign. No ID to show. No questions. No time. Put your oil in gallon water jug(s) and then just walk in and drop it on the counter, they'll say thanks and thats it.
Years ago, I used to recycle my old oil by pouring it into recycling tanks that were open to the pubic behind Walmart and auto parts stores. After people started contaminating the used oil with things like coolant, I had to get an employee to unlock the tank who would remind me that only used motor oil was accepted. A few months ago, they started requiring me to sign for each drop-off and attest that I was pouring in used motor oil and nothing else. At least it's still free. :)

Registered
Years ago, I used to recycle my old oil by pouring it into recycling tanks that were open to the pubic behind Walmart and auto parts stores. After people started contaminating the used oil with things like coolant, I had to get an employee to unlock the tank who would remind me that only used motor oil was accepted. A few months ago, they started requiring me to sign for each drop-off and attest that I was pouring in used motor oil and nothing else. At least it's still free. :)
Our autozone has a sheet to write your name but no one is checking it. It was closed once because some id10t put diesel fuel in it!

I have a old 5 gallon gas can I store used oil in, 4 cars so doesn't take long to fill it up

1 - 20 of 31 Posts