Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTF?
While diagnosing my 'new' 2001 Honda Accord with a F23A4 engine, I used a static compression tester from O'Reilly's. (Tool is Evertough by Eaton) I've used compression testers on many cars, admittedly this is the first one that has spark plug tubes.

Tested #1 cylinder, but how the heck do I get the tool back out? It is only finger tight, the backside of the tool that threads in place of the spark plug is flat and round (no place to insert a tool), and the connection to the tube sits and spins. There's no gap or flat edges to insert a tool to entice it to come out. If it were rigid at that point (from tube to threaded part) it would be easy to just unscrew, maybe they had to repair it, and the way it is now I spin the tube, but not the small threaded part.

No, I didn't cross thread it. Besides, I screwed it in only finger tight!

I pulled the valve cover. No apparent way to get the spark plug tube out.

I "Googled" various word combinations, and as far as I can tell there are a few types of tubes:
Honda F22 engine: apparently the whole valvetrain has to be removed to get to the gasket under the tube (no suggestion that the tube comes out), but I have no problem with the gaskets, no oil leak, no problem but this friggin tool that is now tucked down inside my engine!
Toyota - certainly has a threaded tube
YouTube, unknown car - the tub just pulls right out with a bit of force, reinstallation requires cleaning it, adding silicon, and using a hammer and 2x4 to pound the tube back in.

Two questions:
1. Which type of tube does the Honda F23A4 have? (thus, how to remove)
2. Any idea how to get the tool out without pulling the tube? I'll walk out there again right now and see about jamming a really thin, long screwdriver in there but don't have much hope for it working.

Please help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Problem solved, though I'd still like to know how the F23 tubes are removed, or if they even can be. (for the next guy, and so I better know my car)

My solution:
Time sitting in really cold weather shrunk the steel threads apparently, maybe my coaxing it with a thin screwdriver helped (not sure). No way I'm testing the other cylinders with this tool!

Better answer:
Do not use any compression tester that has a joint that can spin behind the threads, even a little bit, on any car that has spark plug tubes. (Honda or otherwise, I guess) If you own one, fix it securely with something (Locktite?, Super Glue?, solder?) so it will not spin.

What a PITA!

·
Elvira
3,442 Posts
Whew!!!!!
I think you will need adapters to keep the threaded part of the tester at the proper height. Closer to the top of the tube more or less.
As far as the tubes they are part of the head and you'd need to remove head. That's what I'm familiar with anyway.
Miker

1 - 3 of 3 Posts