Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Honda factory alarm kit for my 06 coupe. I'm trying to see how long it usually takes so I know how much time I should set aside this weekend to self install.

·
Not a n00b!
542 Posts
I ordered a Honda factory alarm kit for my 06 coupe. I'm trying to see how long it usually takes so I know how much time I should set aside this weekend to self install.
If I recall correctly, the last one i did was actually made by alpine and took all of .5hr to install. you just plug in the connector to the one under the dash and poof! instant alarm...

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
It depends what features it has. I installed the OEM security system in my '08 Element EX and it featured an LED to be mounted in the steering wheel column along with a glass-break microphone for the center dash console. If the Accord model has the same features, it will take a few hours to route the wiring, microphone, LED and plug in the harness. In the Element, the hardest part was opening the steering wheel column because the plastic was so flexible, it was hard to get the clips to release. Go to collegehillshonda.com and look up the security system accessory for your Accord model. They will have a link for the installation instructions. Read them and then you can determine how much time will be needed.

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There's only 3 connectors I need to attach to the car.

Mine has no LED nor did the manual have any mention of LED install but there is mention of LED light usage. Weird. Maybe there is one built in the dash? It does have a MIC.

·
Registered
249 Posts
There's only 3 connectors I need to attach to the car.

Mine has no LED nor did the manual have any mention of LED install but there is mention of LED light usage. Weird. Maybe there is one built in the dash? It does have a MIC.
Same here, I have no LED anti-theft light indicating my alarm is on. When I get out of the car and hit the "lock" button on my key the car will lock. then when I hit the "lock" button a second time the car will "beep," which I always thought indicated the alarm turning on. However, there is no LED light that blinks or lights up on my dash. Anyone have any answers? :dunno:

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll snap a photo of the kit later when I get home. Maybe someone knows where we can tap into a line to splice in an LED light. LED light could be bought from Radio Shack or Fry's.

They gave some stickers in place of LED me thinks :thumbsdow

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Same here, I have no LED anti-theft light indicating my alarm is on. When I get out of the car and hit the "lock" button on my key the car will lock. then when I hit the "lock" button a second time the car will "beep," which I always thought indicated the alarm turning on. However, there is no LED light that blinks or lights up on my dash. Anyone have any answers? :dunno:
If you look on your radio unit while your car is off, there should be a light there that blinks periodically. This is not an indicator of an alarm system, but it is an anti-theft alarm for your radio only. I don't think LX-S or anything below EX models came with factory alarm.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My dad has an 03 EX coupe V6 and he does have the red light on his radio that blinks when the car is off, it's a small red light. On my 07 LX coupe I don't even have that. I do have though on both my passenger and drivers side windows a decal with a key pad lock and car on it that says "Immobilizer Anti-Theft System". Doesn't that indicate my car has an alarm on it? What is the noise when I hit the lock button twice on my key mean then? I always thought that was arming my car..? Especially since I have those decals in my windows..

Basically I just need to know if I have an alarm or not lol.

·
07 Sdn
395 Posts
My dad has an 03 EX coupe V6 and he does have the red light on his radio that blinks when the car is off, it's a small red light. On my 07 LX coupe I don't even have that. I do have though on both my passenger and drivers side windows a decal with a key pad lock and car on it that says "Immobilizer Anti-Theft System". Doesn't that indicate my car has an alarm on it? What is the noise when I hit the lock button twice on my key mean then? I always thought that was arming my car..? Especially since I have those decals in my windows..

Basically I just need to know if I have an alarm or not lol.
You don't have an alarm. what you have is an anti theft immobilzer for the ignition, I believe all the Accord trims have this. Its a chip in the key that "talks" to the cars computer when you attempt to turn on the car. That's why you need to go to the dealer if you need a new key.

The alarm is a different animal. It wouldn't surprise me if there is a light under the gauges that flashes only if the alarm module is installed and activated.

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There actually is already an LED in the dash from the factory. I took a flashlight to the console and its there. Its the same size as gas low light.

Looks like I'm all set for my weekend install.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
The accessory alarm may use the LED that is part of the gauge cluster. The EX-V6 came standard with the security system, so it uses the LED in the gauge cluster. The difference between the accessory system and the one that is pre-installed is the glass-break mic sensor. The pre-installed system in the EX-V6 doesn't have it. The accessory security system includes the mic.

The blinking anti-theft LED on the stereo is only for the stereo's anti-theft code security. Only the 6-CD models include the anti-theft code and LED indicator. The single CD models don't.

Regardless of the security system installed, the keyless entry always chirped the horn on the second press. This is an audible alert to indicate that your doors are locked. With either security system installed, one press of the button to lock the doors will arm the system. You don't have to press it twice to make the horn chirp to arm the system.

With my original comment above, none of the Element models include a security system. It is an accessory only. So that kit includes an LED to install in the steering wheel column. All the kits use a similar alarm brain, but some add an LED when the vehicle doesn't already have one in the gauge cluster. So it looks like the Accord system will be easier to install than the one in the Element.

All the Accords use the same gauge cluster, so you will have to let us know if adding the security system activates the LED in the cluster.

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did the alarm today. Pretty simple and straight forward. Took about an hour.

Tools used were: lamp, 10mm socket, drill bit, screwdriver, wire cutters to trim the zip ties and knee pads.

Taking apart everything was the hardest and longest part. There's only 2 screws and 2 10mm bolt to remove. The rest were those pesky plastic panel clips you yank on to remove. I only broke 1 of those clips, near the door sill.

The car already has all the connection ports so all you do is plug it in. 3 connectors, add 1 fuse to the fuse box and 1 ground wire and it was done. Now that I've done this, I could do it again in say 15 mins.

The best part about the factory setup is that its cheap in price and you don't need to tap into any wires, it has connection points all ready to go and a mounting place for the alarm brain built in. All of the documentation is there for you to do it yourself. Also the LED in the dash is now activated.

·
Houston
15 Posts
I know this is a bit late, but.....

Can you adjust your microphone sensitivity? Have you tested out the alarm? Also, has anyone heard why Honda figured their car, which is in the top 10 for thefts(not sure the model), wouldn't just come with a full, fu*king alarm?

I had my (LX 5speed)window smashed the other night and nothing was taken, just disheveled, since I leave absolutely nothing in my car(previous experience). I'm going to add 2way paging shortly, so the next time it happens, I can send about 17 of my friends to disable the perp.

·
2006 I4 MT
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think there is anything you can adjust. There is not even a shock sensor I believe. If someone were to jack up your car to steal the wheels, the alarm wouldn't even go off unless they opened the door or trunk.

I have tested the alarm. If you open the door while armed, horn will go off. If you are putting stuff in your trunk without opening the door within 30 secs, it will horn a few times.

The price reflects what you get. I paid a little more than $100 for the unit. Its just a deterent more than anything. I also added some Gorilla wheel locks. A seasoned thief would be able to bypass my setup with ease but it does take a bit longer than the next Accord with nothing so he might bypass mine. I just have this in place for the spur of the moment types.

·
Not a n00b!
542 Posts
I did the alarm today. Pretty simple and straight forward. Took about an hour.

Tools used were: lamp, 10mm socket, drill bit, screwdriver, wire cutters to trim the zip ties and knee pads.

Taking apart everything was the hardest and longest part. There's only 2 screws and 2 10mm bolt to remove. The rest were those pesky plastic panel clips you yank on to remove. I only broke 1 of those clips, near the door sill.

The car already has all the connection ports so all you do is plug it in. 3 connectors, add 1 fuse to the fuse box and 1 ground wire and it was done. Now that I've done this, I could do it again in say 15 mins.

The best part about the factory setup is that its cheap in price and you don't need to tap into any wires, it has connection points all ready to go and a mounting place for the alarm brain built in. All of the documentation is there for you to do it yourself. Also the LED in the dash is now activated.

told ya... .5 hr and poof, instant alarm... sure beats splicing and cutting! (and believe me, I've done my share...)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts