Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Honda Accord EX V6 with 100,000 miles. I was having battery issues. Had already replaced 1 battery (was still under warranty). Had the alternator checked on 3 different occasions and found no issues. Battery would completely drain over night when doing short drives in town. Would be fine after long drives. So here is what happened:

Left my car running in the parking lot at work to get some files. While inside the building, everyone heard a loud popping/sizzling sound outside. My car was smoking. Powered it off. Had it towed in and found the fan relays were bad on both fans. This was also causing the drain on the battery.

The debate is what was being extracted when it was overheating. Also why would my temp cage in not move at all during this time? Mechanic says it was antifreeze. The liquid was not hot and was pushed out near the bottom of the engine. Could be power steering or brake fluid? No way it was antifreeze as it was not hot or warm at all. I have even had someone tell me it was the A/C release valve that pushed out A/C oil? All I know it was loud enough to bring everyone out of the building. Smoked but stopped smoking as soon as I turned off the car. We did re-produce it 1 more time before we had it towed and had the same results. Just don't know what the fluid was?

·
Registered
54 Posts
You've got a few issues here, and your description of the problem doesn't make it easy to diagnose.

Bad fan relays could definitely drain a battery. Any relay that's closed and completing a circuit when the car isn't running would do that. However, you're saying that the car overheated also.
If the car overheated, and the temp gauge never moved, it could've been a result of there being little/no coolant in the system to cause the temp gauge to read high. If there is air inside the system, then coolant temp sensor won't read correctly, therefore, it very well might cause no abnormal reading. (I've seen it before, not on my Honda, but on many other cars)
If your mechanic says it was coolant, why would you doubt him? Has the car been repaired yet? if so, does it run properly? Does your A/C still work? If the A/C does work, then it definitely wasn't any compressor oil. There is no way to vent compressor oil without losing refrigerant.

Check the power steering fluid and brake fluid. If either level is low, then you've found the leak. It's highly unlikely that either of these would leak out due to an engine overheat condition. How do you even know for sure that the fluid leaked from your vehicle?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car is fixed now, as far as I know. Has not had any issues for 2 days now. I don't think the car actually overheated. However, something did extract when it was left running in the parking lot when the fans were not working. Power Steering fluid was the only thing that was low. They did not find a leak anywhere?

I am more curious as to what the sound/smoke was all about. There was enough of it to have a puddle under the car and you could see it dripping from under it. All I know is it was not antifreeze. It was loud enough for everyone to come running out to investigate.

·
2020 CBP Touring
711 Posts
Check the power steering hose. Have you had it replaced under the recall?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts