Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I park on a hill and just recently I have noticed the breaks squeak when I'm braking towards my stop sign.. Doesn't seem to do it many other times.. Of course it's getting colder now in New England.. I have about 14k miles on my coupe now and I learned manual on this car and have driven it hard from time to time, I have gotten break smell odor before if I've had to brake quickly .. Anyways is this normal or have I/ am I wearing down my brakes? Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
If you have alloy wheels (which you probably do), you can take a flashlight and look at your pad thickness. In 15k miles it's unlikely they're worn down, unless it's the rears on a pre-2010 (I drive hard and my pads are projected to last 15k miles based on what I saw after 5k miles).

It's probably just squeaky brakes...happens when they're cold. You should hear how much noise slotted rotors make :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
I park on a hill and just recently I have noticed the breaks squeak when I'm braking towards my stop sign.. Doesn't seem to do it many other times.. Of course it's getting colder now in New England.. I have about 14k miles on my coupe now and I learned manual on this car and have driven it hard from time to time, I have gotten break smell odor before if I've had to brake quickly .. Anyways is this normal or have I/ am I wearing down my brakes? Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
As the other person said, probably just some surface rust being taken off by the pads when it starts up. However, for 2008-2010 accords the caliber pins were swapped in the rear brakes, which could cause the caliber to stick and the rear inner pads wearing away fast. Not sure if this applies to later model accords, which you appear to have. You should put the year & model of your accord in the signature so people can better answer your questions :)

You actually need to look at the inner pads too, since they might not wear evenly - when your tires are being rotated, ask to glance at the pads when they have the wheels off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts