Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Gearhead Girl 馃
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I recently noticed that my engine is faintly ticking at warm idle. It does not tick at all when cold, and it doesn't tick while driving, only when stopped and warm. The tick is so faint that I wasn't even really able to catch it on video. The car runs and drives like normal.
Please keep in mind that I've owned this car for only a year and a half, it's my first car, and it's daily driven in the winter and summer, then driven once a week around my neighborhood in the spring and fall. I usually play the radio in the car, so I've never noticed this before now. Is this normal considering that it's the winter? And if not, how urgent would it be?
I can add the video if somebody explains how to post them (lol), although I don't think it will change anything since the tick is so faint.

Premium Member
It's a Honda.
And they don't make quiet valve trains, never have. Most likely it's normal.

Turbo lag
Winter always make me think something is wrong with my engine. Lol. Post a video if you can because by description, it doesn't sound normal, but it could also just be you not hearing it during cold idle and driving.

Gearhead Girl 馃
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, when I got off work today it had warmed up quite a bit outside and I didn't hear the ticking at all on my commute home.
I suppose I'm just a classic first time owner, still learning what's normal!

Cruising in Montana
It is likely normal valve train noise. The 7th gen I4 has mechanical valve lifters which need periodic adjustment, like every 150,000 miles or so. I suspect that is also true for your car, but don't know for sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts