Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning.
I have a 01 Accord EX V6 auto.
Today while driving into work, I got a P0116 code. "Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Problem.”
This morning the outside air temp was 15 degrees F.
So, it was dam cold out... Could that cause this fault sometimes?

Reason why I ask is because, Last year in (April 2021) I had a stuck closed thermostat (the original Honda thermostat from 2001 still which I though was impressive). I then Replaced it with a Failsafe 7302-170 , and a new Duralast Coolant temp sensor. SU4006.
Since they were original to the car from 2001. I Have not had any issues till today...

Debating if I should go with a new set of Honda parts and eliminate any aftermarket potential of issues, or am i just being worried for no reason?

*Found these on hondapartsnow.com
Part Description:
Part No.: 19301-P8C-A11
Thermostat Assy. (NIPPON THERMOSTAT)
$45.02

Part No.: 37870-PK2-015
Sensor Assy., Water Temperature (HADSYS)
$60.20

· Registered
236 Posts
Good morning.
I have a 01 Accord EX V6 auto.
Today while driving into work, I got a P0116 code. "Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Problem.”
This morning the outside air temp was 15 degrees F.
So, it was dam cold out... Could that cause this fault sometimes?

Reason why I ask is because, Last year in (April 2021) I had a stuck closed thermostat (the original Honda thermostat from 2001 still which I though was impressive). I then Replaced it with a Failsafe 7302-170 , and a new Duralast Coolant temp sensor. SU4006.
Since they were original to the car from 2001. I Have not had any issues till today...

Debating if I should go with a new set of Honda parts and eliminate any aftermarket potential of issues, or am i just being worried for no reason?

*Found these on hondapartsnow.com
Part Description:
Part No.: 19301-P8C-A11
Thermostat Assy. (NIPPON THERMOSTAT)
$45.02

Part No.: 37870-PK2-015
Sensor Assy., Water Temperature (HADSYS)
$60.20
Aside from the code have you noticed anything abnormal with the functioning of the cooling system? The engine coolant temperature sensor tells the ECU to turn the cooling fans on or off and controls the temperature gauge on the instrument panel.

I bought a Failsafe thermostat once and it did not work for me, though I may have been to blame. I did not bleed the air from the cooling system which caused the car to overheat (only slightly above normal, but not normal). After that point I bled the system but I could not get the thermostat to close and the car ran cold until I replaced it with an OEM Honda. I don't need a fail safe thermostat that has to be junked if the temperature gauge goes a smidge over the halfway mark because I pay attention to the gauges already.

· one wheel drive
996 Posts
The coolant temp sensor and thermostat don't have much to do with eachother. In the 00-02 ECT does two things
-tells the PCM the engine temp for fuel calc
-through the PCM feeds the instrument cluster a damped version of engine temp

There are separate switches for the radiator fans.

You need to check the wiring of the ECT to PCM and the functioning of the ECT either through a scanner or removing it and putting it in hot water and following the service manual for resistance readings at certain water temp

I'd look at wiring or the crappy aftermarket parts you're putting on. 15 degrees is no big deal

· Kaua‘i North Shore Boi.Aloha❤️🤙💪😊
306 Posts
Yup.. Check the wiring.. If Your distributor or valve cover has any oil leaking, it tends to go right on this sensor.. My model has a separate guage sending unit down there too. Just changed them with cleaner ones out of a CR-V.. haha Gotta helicoil another valve cover bolt, dang it. 23+ year old aluminum is weak AF.. But, yesterday, odometer was at 199,922.. Chi!
Aloha ❤🤙💪

1 - 4 of 4 Posts