Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The FCW works fine, except when you have your foot on the brake already!
So in a situation where you are braking lightly in slowing traffic but the situation changes suddenly - say the car in front of you braked hard or someone cut in front of you and suddenly the distance closes really fast - guess what - the fcw wont warn you!
What if you were slightly distracted during this time - well that is the whole purpose of this system, right ?

I think this is a serious flaw and Honda should rectify it.

Another thing is that fcw works only above 10mph, that again is a flaw. Most fender benders happen at that speed or lower.

If the system falls short it dont serve the purpose of the whole thing at all. Whats the point if it doesn't help ? Honda should fix this as well.

Hope this helps anyone who isn't aware of these shortcomings so they can be better prepared as this is a safety issue.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If FCW was active below 10MPH, wouldn't making a turn in a parking lot, or garage, or just in traffic set the system off constantly?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats a valid point but 10mph is still high. those situations can still be taken care of with a much lower cutoff - say 2-3mph. I'd take a little too sensitive warning (like LDW!) over no warning at all.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Many cars have auto braking including the Mazda 6 and Impala that work below 10 MPH as they bring the car to a full stop. They have no issues when pulling into a parking lot as far as we know.

OP has the radar based touring and he indicates "FCW works fine".

For those of us with lesser models that have the camera based FCW system I have one word: FAIL

·
Registered
469 Posts
Many cars have auto braking including the Mazda 6 and Impala that work below 10 MPH as they bring the car to a full stop. They have no issues when pulling into a parking lot as far as we know.

OP has the radar based touring and he indicates "FCW works fine".

For those of us with lesser models that have the camera based FCW system I have one word: FAIL
Does it activate below 10mph?

·
loving the V6 growl :D
444 Posts
I don't see it as completely fail! There are number of reason why FCW will activate or not.. one thing I'm sure of is that, when you drive aggressively like maniac--- I'm certain FCW will activate..

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The FCW works fine, except when you have your foot on the brake already!
So in a situation where you are braking lightly in slowing traffic but the situation changes suddenly - say the car in front of you braked hard or someone cut in front of you and suddenly the distance closes really fast - guess what - the fcw wont warn you!
What if you were slightly distracted during this time - well that is the whole purpose of this system, right ?

I think this is a serious flaw and Honda should rectify it.

Another thing is that fcw works only above 10mph, that again is a flaw. Most fender benders happen at that speed or lower.

If the system falls short it dont serve the purpose of the whole thing at all. Whats the point if it doesn't help ? Honda should fix this as well.

Hope this helps anyone who isn't aware of these shortcomings so they can be better prepared as this is a safety issue.
Well I suppose at that point it assumes you already have a handle on what you're doing.....which should be correct for anyone over the age of 10 and/or an IQ above 43.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I only wish there was a button to easily turn it on off like the lane departure warning. FCW is just useless in any kind of freeway traffic, but a more useful feature for driving country roads or such.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
it's main uses, so far, to me, is stop and go traffic and normal highway driving. I see lots of dummys reading books and playing on their phones in Chicago traffic.

you shouldn't be distracted while driving anyway, but if you are it can help bring you back to earth fast if your radio is not playing loud. ignore crashes on the side of the road and put your phone down and you'll never need it anyway.

if your foot is on the brake already it has no need to activate. its an assist feature, nothing more. it assists your lazy mind in returning to the road and reminds you to brake. once you are braking the car is like.. "ok, my job is done...good luck dummy"

·
Registered
469 Posts
I've seen, in toll booth traffic, a college kid doing his HW, with the textbook in his lap, while shifting a manual (Civic Si - I think those things only come with sticks?).

I could not do that, not for nearly 30min. Heck, it was nearly consuming all of my attention and energy just seeing what he was doing and following traffic at the same time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I suppose at that point it assumes you already have a handle on what you're doing.....which should be correct for anyone over the age of 10 and/or an IQ above 43.
Well wouldn't you be expected to have a handle on everything while driving ? and yet these systems are put in cars, right ? So why not just remove all of them ? What about when the other driver does not have handle on everything ?
I think your rationale is a little oblivious of reality,or maybe your driving experience so far has been limited to that of a 10 year old ?
My point is what's the point in having a half assed system ?

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
Well wouldn't you be expected to have a handle on everything while driving ? and yet these systems are put in cars, right ? So why not just remove all of them ? What about when the other driver does not have handle on everything ?
I think your rationale is a little oblivious of reality,or maybe your driving experience so far has been limited to that of a 10 year old ?
My point is what's the point in having a half assed system ?

Is your "driving experience" watching Jason Statham movies, getting away from the bad guys?

You sound like one of those trolling lawyers who jump on these forum boards- trying to stir up a class action law suit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
frankly of the many forums on various subjects that I actively participate, this has got to be the most paranoid and insecure forums that I have come across ever.
Every criticism is met with an immature response of being a troll. If you have a mature argument to make then make it, or just Shut Up.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Does it activate below 10mph?
That I do not know.

Fcw is almost useless . Not loud enough and too many false alarms

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
My observations exactly. I posted well over a year ago and filed my concern with HMC the soft alarm.

I would not be concerned about false alarms if it just worked when I needed it to. I am unable to activate it in a simulated situation. I drive at about 30 mph and purposely don't brake trying to activate it. I am forced to stop for fear of hitting the object. CR did the test with cardboard boxes and Volvo braked and stopped before impact. Infiniti blasted through the box: Fail. This was with auto braking. I am going to set up and record the test with a big Christmas box to see if I can activate it. of course, it activates with false alarms from time to time so it does "work".

·
Super Moderator
2,414 Posts
... once you are braking the car is like.. "ok, my job is done...good luck dummy"
This made LOL.... It's funny because it's true. :)

I have mixed feelings about all these nanny assist devices. While I feel I'm a decent driver, pay attention and have no need for these ... I'm ok with them thinking it might help prevent some idiot from hitting me (and the geek in me thinks some of the tech is kinda neat). Then I have to shake my head when someone misunderstands the intent of these assist technologies and complains that they don't work when they get into a fender bender.

As antilock brakes became more common place so did the complaints that they didn't work ... because people would pump the brake pedal rendering it useless. Anti skid / stability control the same thing. Sorry but if you're doing 95mph around a 20mph exit ramp, the laws of physics will trump your car's technology.

Ok ... Off my mini rant soap box :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
FCW is an aid designed to warn the driver that he is approaching a target in front at too high a speed. If you're already braking the system assumes you are aware of the target. It's not an auto brake system. It uses TV cameras to make these calculations rather than sensors. Like all automated systems, they are not perfect and require driver monitoring. The amount of monitoring is dependent on the system's human/machine interface. A good example is the accident of Asiana airlines B777 last July. Why did an experienced pilot not be able to fly a perfectly good airplane to a runway on a clear day with light winds? It appears that he was depending on auto throttles to maintain the minimum flying speed and failed to notice that they had tripped off. I would expect that a professional pilot can manually land an airplane on a clear day. Your honor I hit the guy from behind because my FCW didn't work because I was already braking.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's certainly far from perfect. I was driving home last night in a snowstorm, and FCW was working overtime to prevent me from crashing into any errant snowflakes. It was kind of amusing. Stuff's pretty new technology; I'll forgive it for being imperfect. (Unfortunately, Canadian touring models don't use the radar-based system.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts