Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wifes 2013 EX-L non-nav v6 coupe is now a month old. It is a much better car than her '04 model except for a few things. 1. The sound system- I've already posted about it, and went to the dealer. No joy. The software is current and he says their is nothing he can do. Stay tuned on that one. 2. The FCW- My Wife(and me) cannot stand that thing! but, when you turn it off, the light is illuminated in the cluster. I read the owner manual several times and was wondering- do you suppose you could put a piece of vinyl or window tint over the camera lens(on the outside of the windshield)? This would simulate driving where the lanes or edge of the road is not defined, thus rendering the system inoperative. Do you suppose it would set a code?

·
Registered
506 Posts
You mean LDW [lane departure warning]? FCW is Forward collision warning. I would think blocking the camera/sensor would cause it go off constantly, I may be wrong.
There may be a fuse for it?!?!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is probably longer to ask for opinions here than cutting a cardboard piece, stick it in front of the cam and try it.
I just reread my post- my bad, I was thinking about both systems at once.
I'm thinkin' that's what I'm gonna do. BTW, how do you clear codes if it set one? And I am in fact talking about the front collision warning system(FCW). I have already shut off the LDW via the switch.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I know what you mean - Honda penalizes you for trying to turn it off by broadcasting an idiot light on the dash.

You can adjust the sensitivity to the lowest possible level and see if that helps.

And it might be worth considering if she is driving just a little too aggressively if it is going off enough times to drive her crazy. It does actually serve a purpose...

Last resort - try the cardboard.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I just reread my post- my bad, I was thinking about both systems at once.
I'm thinkin' that's what I'm gonna do. BTW, how do you clear codes if it set one? And I am in fact talking about the front collision warning system(FCW). I have already shut off the LDW via the switch.
Whew, I was beginning to worry about you dude. You found the LDW off button already :thmsup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
My wifes 2013 EX-L non-nav v6 coupe is now a month old. It is a much better car than her '04 model except for a few things. 1. The sound system- I've already posted about it, and went to the dealer. No joy. The software is current and he says their is nothing he can do. Stay tuned on that one. 2. The FCW- My Wife(and me) cannot stand that thing! but, when you turn it off, the light is illuminated in the cluster. I read the owner manual several times and was wondering- do you suppose you could put a piece of vinyl or window tint over the camera lens(on the outside of the windshield)? This would simulate driving where the lanes or edge of the road is not defined, thus rendering the system inoperative. Do you suppose it would set a code?
Bwana there is a member on here that put 10% tint on windshield and since check engine light on because of the camera. If I find thread I'll post last he left off he was removing tint.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I know what you mean - Honda penalizes you for trying to turn it off by broadcasting an idiot light on the dash.

You can adjust the sensitivity to the lowest possible level and see if that helps.

And it might be worth considering if she is driving just a little too aggressively if it is going off enough times to drive her crazy. It does actually serve a purpose...

Last resort - try the cardboard.
It does serve a purpose if it really worked. Mine might as well be off, fortunately I am an alert driver and have not yet needed but I would never rely on it. If it happens to go off and prevents a crash, I'll take it but I find the system useless.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already have it set on the "close" or "low" setting. As for agressive driving, well, when you live and drive in the urban jungle, with some of the prickiest drivers in the country- you have to be pushy or you might as well ride the bus.
P.S. She has driven for 40 years without a single scratch on her car so, she can't be THAT agressive.......

·
Registered
588 Posts
You lucky that she doesn't drive a Touring model. I would not recommend to keep ACC ON if you drive in a city jungle of you will be tired of constant self-braking of a car.
The penalty for having ACC OFF is no cruise control but you don't need it a city anyway.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I already have it set on the "close" or "low" setting. As for agressive driving, well, when you live and drive in the urban jungle, with some of the prickiest drivers in the country- you have to be pushy or you might as well ride the bus.
P.S. She has driven for 40 years without a single scratch on her car so, she can't be THAT agressive.......
set it to 'long' I found it shows up less often that way

·
Registered
514 Posts
You lucky that she doesn't drive a Touring model. I would not recommend to keep ACC ON if you drive in a city jungle of you will be tired of constant self-braking of a car.
The penalty for having ACC OFF is no cruise control but you don't need it a city anyway.
I don't know, I think I'd get a lot more tired of it running in to cars at cruise control speed if it didn't self brake. :D

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
I initially hated the FCW due to false triggers, but somehow it has gotten much better after a while. Still hear false alarms periodically, but I must admit that it has warned me a number of times when it was needed (i.e., a car without working brake light in front). I kinda like it now. There, I said it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Am I wrong? I seem to recall you can set the ACC to perform as a regular cruise control. Did I misunderstand?

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I initially hated the FCW due to false triggers, but somehow it has gotten much better after a while. Still hear false alarms periodically, but I must admit that it has warned me a number of times when it was needed (i.e., a car without working brake light in front). I kinda like it now. There, I said it.

If mine worked like that I would like it too. I loved tha idea that the Accord had this feature when I first looked at it and the commercial is great.

I care not about false alarms.

I can't get the thing to activate when needed. I drive straight toward a parked car and I am forced to brake before the system will activate otherwise I would slam into it. I keep it on long and it is the less sophisticated camera based system, not the radar on the touring. It has once or twice activated as I approached a car at a light but it is so rare as to not be statistically significant.

The only safe test is an empty cardboard box in a church parking lot. If it does chime, I seriously doubt it would give enough distance to prevent a wreck based on the lateness of the chime vis a vis the closing speed.

The chime is so late to activate (if ever) that it is appropriately named. Forward Collision Warning i.e you are going to have a forward collision rather that prevention or mitigation of a collision.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Am I wrong? I seem to recall you can set the ACC to perform as a regular cruise control. Did I misunderstand?
Yes, you can turn off the ACC option and use cruise control like normal.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
cardboard or something on the glass or blocking the camera will cause a 'clean windshield' message.

why don't you just accept that it has it's quirks but will save your ass when you need it?

·
Registered
588 Posts
You are right, I did not know about this feature before. Thank you!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
cardboard or something on the glass or blocking the camera will cause a 'clean windshield' message.

why don't you just accept that it has it's quirks but will save your ass when you need it?
Thank you for your advice. Unless you ride in an autonomously self driving car, it isn't going "save your a_s". I have been researching this situation this afternoon and I think my best option might be to re- aim the camera up. My only reservation about doing this is the system might be triggered by things like street lights so, aim will be critical. Another way might be to cover the lower half of the lens, but still let in backround lighting. That way it just won't "see" the cars directly in front of the nose. It would be a lot easier if Honda would release the shop manual. Does anyone know if this model is in Alldata yet?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts