Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys - here is what I want to do...

I'm dying to have complete iPod control from my 03 Accord standard head unit. I've ran into a few adapters I could purchase, but with the problem of my head unit not being XM capable, I won't be able to see track or playlist info from the head unit, which in my opinion I think is stupid. So what I'm trying to do is, I want to keep the OEM head unit look by switching out my current head unit with a newer OEM Honda head unit that is XM capable. The only problem is, my 03 Accord is single-climate controlled, while all the newer head units I'm running into are dual-climate controlled. My question is...

Is it possible to split a single-climate controlled system into a dual-climate controlled system?

Will replacing my 03 XM-incapable head unit with a newer Honda OEM XM capable head unit do the trick so I can end up seeing what I'm controlling from my iPod? (Track info, playlists, etc.)

I am really fed up and don't know what to do at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It might be advisable to buy an iPod touch to view track info with the iTouch mounted where you can easily see it.

·
Texas Ground Pounder
1,357 Posts
Okay, from what I am reading on the 7th gen FAQ thread: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5095 The XM feature was added in 2004 to the EX-L and EX V6 line only. However, the EX line only uses dual climate controls, not the single control like you have. Therefore, a simple radio sway is not going to be that easy for you to gain the XM feature for text, I have not seen anyone yet do that type of conversion to simply gain XM or dual climate control. I have seen the Navi conversions though. However, I'm not sure if this was done to vehicles with single or dual controls originally. Have you talked with user "hillstones" about this? He has successfully done this Navi conversion and can probably give you more insight on what you can do if anything is possible.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
You need to do a lot of re-wiring of your HVAC system in order for your single climate control system to function through a dual-zone head unit. See the link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-...247506QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo#ht_1027wt_1167

Contact the seller, his name is Martin, and tell him what you want to do and see if he will make you a custom harness for your single zone AC to connect to a dual-zone head unit. Keep in mind, he will probably charge you about $200 for the custom made harness. But that is the only way you can install a dual zone head unit into a single zone AC vehicle.

So based on that, you need to decide if you really want text display from your iPod on your stereo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for the info guys. I really appreciate it. It looks like there might be some hope!

I just recently purchased my 03 V6 LX, and I'm loving it, but this issue has been driving me crazy!!! I used to own a 97 Accord LX which had 2 amps, Infinity speakers, and an aftermarket Pioneer head unit. I miss being able to switch out the head unit easily! I took that car for granted. :(

A few questions:

-Does switching to a dual-climate controlled head unit actually operate the A/C as a dual-climate control system?

-I'm more than willing to give up the OEM head unit for an aftermarket head unit if any of you know somebody who has made a good quality custom dash kit, who's willing to reproduce one for me!

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Thank you so much for the info hillstones. It looks like there might be some hope!

A few questions:

-Does switching to a dual-climate controlled head unit actually operate the A/C as a dual-climate control system?

-I'm more than willing to give up the OEM head unit for an aftermarket head unit if any of you know somebody who has made a good quality custom dash kit, who's willing to reproduce one for me!
Nope. The re-wiring of the HVAC only allows the dual zone head unit to operate the HVAC in single zone mode, just like you operate it now. If you want dual-zone AC, you need to replace the entire HVAC system, electronics, etc. The Dual Zone HVAC is computer controlled with dual motors, outside temp sensor, inside temp sensor and sunlight sensor. It is a complex system.

I have never seen a custom made or aftermarket dash replacement kit that made any aftermarket stereo look good in the 7th Gen dash. If you can save the money, the OEM Navi conversion is your best solution, then you will get text display on the Navi LCD and upper sub display.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Orrrr You can go on ebay and buy a an oem navi + conversion harness and stuff but its like 1500 + for it... Or you can just deal with it. OR you can sell your car and get another 1.

·
Registered
93 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts