Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
08 Coupe EX-L 6-6
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to invest in a cheap insurance policy aka a dashcam. It records at a full HD [email protected] and works decently at night too. It's a steal for ~$72 and I'm thinking of getting another as a rearview. This weekend's project will be to hide the wiring down the A pillar... anyone know if that will interfere with the airbag at all? From what I gather I need to order a new clip as the old one is usually destroyed in the removal process.

View from driver's seat... barely noticeable behind the rear-view.

Side on view from the passenger seat:

Exterior shot... Very hard to see unless you're really looking for it:

Daytime sample video on my way back to work from lunch (crappy rainy afternoon):

Nighttime sample video the night I received it. I wanted to test it out in really poor conditions so the dark + heavy rain worked out nicely:

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
I ran my wiring underneath the weatherstripping. Took me about 10 minutes and it doesn't damage anything.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
same. i ran a usb from inside my armrest to the passenger underdash, then to the weather stripping, then inside the a-pillar cover, and finally tucked into the headliner. also, if you rotate the suction cup part 180 degrees you can use a more acute angle and make the whole thing invisible to the driver.

·
Banned
546 Posts
Pacapaca, can you give us some more details? Like a link to where you purchased it, what video receiver you're using to capture the video, the storage device you're using, etc. Nice setup guys!

·
08 Coupe EX-L 6-6
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, thanks for the wiring tips... I just went and routed it behind the weather stripping and that was much easier than bashing the a pillar clip :). I'm going to solder on some wires to the cigarette adapter and add a fuse so I can hide the wiring behind the dash for a more permanent installation.

The camera is a non-branded LS300W 1080p camera with a 16gb SanDisk micro SD card (will store about 2.5 hours of 1080p video @ 30fps and loops over the old recordings when it fills up). I think this camera supports up to 32gb but I just happened to have an old 16gb card not being used. The camera stores video files in 2/5/10 minute chunks in .mov format (and has a slight overlap between video chunks so there are no dead periods while its transitioning from one chunk to another). It has a little screen for on-device playback, A/V and mini HDMI out, and connects to a computer via its mini USB port (shows up just like a flash drive so you can view the videos or copy them off).

I purchased it from Singapore via http://www.foxoffer.com/nonbrand-ls300w-gt300w-1080p-car-dvr-with-wdr-p-569.html#.UnQiJxCaZrs after checking out several different cameras on dashcamtalk.com.

·
Banned
546 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. I always thought it would be neat to have one mounted on my car and make time-lapse videos of my long 4-5 hours trips home...plus it can't hurt to have video proof should something happen while you're driving.

·
2009 accord ex 4 cylinder
692 Posts
bro.you need to slow down while.driving at night , u are going.to.fast for a rainny night

·
08 Coupe EX-L 6-6
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a couple more of the inline adapter I made. I didn't want to have the power supply permanently using up the cigarette adapter so I soldered on some wires and attached a new fuse to a switched source from the fuse block. I metered the adapter and it only draws 0.25A under load and doesn't heat up so I'm fairly sure it's safe tucked under the dash.

bro.you need to slow down while.driving at night , u are going.to.fast for a rainny night
I'm doing less than 35 :dunno:

·
08 Coupe EX-L 6-6
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A one time $75 investment is a pretty cheap insurance policy against idiot drivers, scammers, road ragers, etc. Now that I have it installed, I barely notice it, but it's always recording and there should I ever need it.

It can also useful for recording interesting events (the Russian meteor, various plane crashes, etc have all been caught on dash cams), recording audio from traffic stops, time lapses of road trips, etc.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Neat. I'm going to get one soon. Actually most likely 1 for each car. So much stupid stuff going on. I'm getting a lot of people pulling out in front of me.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I love mine. I'm seriously considering a rear cam too.

·
4,062 Posts
Yesterday my dash cam caught a near accident. Not sure who would have been at fault...maybe 50-50, but I'm in left lane, lady in front of me decides to go into the center turn lane except she left 1/4 of her car hanging over the line (6 feet away from the median!). I kept thinking that she's going to get into the turn lane before I catch up to her, but by the time I realized that she's not going to do it it was nearly too late. Full ABS action. (I was at the speed limit too, for the record).

Anyways, at least having a dash cam makes it so it isn't your word vs. theirs:

I'm thinking of upgrading to something that's HD, because he's what my S4 can do when windshield mounted:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yesterday my dash cam caught a near accident. Not sure who would have been at fault...maybe 50-50, but I'm in left lane, lady in front of me decides to go into the center turn lane except she left 1/4 of her car hanging over the line
I'm curious too, any legal experts/cops on here? I'd be interested to know who would be at fault - since you're overtaking I'd figure you'd be at fault, but the other driver is straddling a double yellow?

·
4,062 Posts
I'm curious too, any legal experts/cops on here? I'd be interested to know who would be at fault - since you're overtaking I'd figure you'd be at fault, but the other driver is straddling a double yellow?
Double white, which practically is the same as a yellow. A cop would probably point out that she was obstructing a travel lane (my lane) by stopping, or not maintaining lane control (since she should have been in the turn lane completely and had plenty of lead-in distance to get into it). In retrospect, I should have slowed down sooner, but I've *never* had to slow down before for someone getting into a left turn lane.

Without the dash cam though, it would look like a rear-end accident where I'd be automatically assumed at fault.

Oh, and I think she was lost. After I honked at her for a few seconds and kept going, I saw that she eventually merged back into traffic and then went into the following left turn lane. Freakin' morons on the road...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice idea and install. I may have to get one and leave it key switched so operation is automatic.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Nice idea and install. I may have to get one and leave it key switched so operation is automatic.
if a camera is powered via cigarette lighter plug (to usb) then the it will automatically turn on upon car startup since the cigarette ports are not hot when the ignition is off. when their power is cut, the cams will continue running until their stored power is depleted.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Some cameras (of the reviews I read) have sensors to detect movement. So, if you wire the camera up to have a constant power supply in the car then that might be useful. But if you have a "busy day" where theres a lot of activity to trigger the camera you would potentially come out to a dead battery :)

I went to these sites to get some reviews:
http://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-comparison/
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/

They say the DVR-027 or DVR-027GS are a one of the best "bang for the buck" ones but the one site says the G1W is better for the money. I'm going to be getting that. $52.00 on ebay w/ shipping is a pretty good price.

·
Registered
19 Posts

if a camera is powered via cigarette lighter plug (to usb) then the it will automatically turn on upon car startup since the cigarette ports are not hot when the ignition is off. when their power is cut, the cams will continue running until their stored power is depleted.
Oh well, it sounded like a great idea. I wonder how hard it is to remove the internal battery.....maybe worth a shot. I could always put it back in if it didn't work. hummmmm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts