Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got this car back in September with 58000 miles on it. ever since i had the car i have not put new oil or add oil to the car. and each time i check my oil level, it is fine. i been getting mixed reviews on often i should change my oil. right now i put almost 9000 miles on my car. so i was curios what yall think and does it matter what brand 5w20 i put in as well?

·
Roll Tide!
6,794 Posts
at 9K, i'd change it right now. do the oil filter too.

any brand will do. it's pretty much what your budget is and how often you plan on changing oil for the most part.

i personally pour in mobil 1 and spin on purolater pure one filters in all my vehicles and have been doing so for years. the exception was the accord that i was running honda filters...but my next and all future filters for the accord will be the purolaters also. there's nothing but opinions on what to run so i'll let everyone else fill your ears with what they want you to hear.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Congrats on your new car. Always a good thing to check your oil level on a regular basis as you have been doing. It's time for you to get an oil change. I hear Mobil 1 Synthetic is pretty good.

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
829 Posts
The most important thing is keeping up with the oil changes. If you like extended drain intervals, mobil has a few choices. Use a Honda, Bosh, Purolater, Wix, Mobil 1 filter. There are too many opinions on this.

Id only suggest doing it frequently. It's very easy, and cheap to do yourself.

Personally I use Penzoil Ultra 5w30 and a Honda OEM A01 Filter. I change it at no more than 5k miles because it's cheap enough for me to do that, and keep my engine crystal clean.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
I like that he checks his oil level frequently.

Good job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you everyone. yea trying my best not to make any mistake other than what i have not done now. but no one ever mention changing the filter, not even the guy i talk to at autozone today. so that is new to me. i guess i will look around for a filter as well. and thank you jimijam for that link. that has probably most things i need to know and learn about

·
07 I4 MT coupe
198 Posts
Congrats on your first car and welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Honda has 2 different oil filters. They are interchangeable, however, from what I've read and pictures I've seen, they are different quality of filters. If you go with Honda oil filters, ask for 15400-PLM-A01 which is made by Filtech. The 15400-PLM-A02 is the other honda oil filter made by another company. You can search online and see the differences yourself. Plenty of honda dealers sell them online. I bought 6 honda filters along with 6 crush washers for about $42 shipping included.

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
829 Posts
^^^^^ The A02 is made by Honeywell (FRAM) I too stick with the A01 made by Filtech. I also found out the BOSH filter is as FILTECH filter as well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mobil 1 Full synthetic 5w20 and a Bosch premium filter in my car. All my cars use mobil 1 and bosch filters, but any good synthetic oil and high quality filter(not fram, but i guess it still works) will usually work, since it is a Honda, i guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts