Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It finally happened, the need for the first oil change. About 12,000 kms into the life of the car. Took it to the dealer, no my first one was not free. 68 bucks later after a filter, oil disposal fees, checks for TSBs, done. I dont change my own oil. I dont have the time. Plus its minus 20 here today, not ideal weather for dropping the oil outside.

My old car would have been at least 2 oil changes in that time period, at 50 bucks a change, I wont complain too much about 70 for the same time period. I wanted the first one done at the dealer anyways. next one is type B services, most likely I am going to an independent for that.

Looking forward to seeing how it drives without the break in oil. Not expecting much difference.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Hmmm, my first oil change is coming up in the next few weeks or so. MM advises oil at 40% but I plan to have dealer change anyway. Also plan to have the tires rotated. When I purchased my vehicle I received a "customer loyalty" card from the dealership that included 3 free oil changes among other discounted services. Not sure if I'm running synthetic now but that's what I plan to ask for at the oil change. I'm a cynical kind of guy and am wondering what the catch is with the free oil changes?

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
It finally happened, the need for the first oil change. About 12,000 kms into the life of the car. Took it to the dealer, no my first one was not free. 68 bucks later after a filter, oil disposal fees, checks for TSBs, done. I dont change my own oil. I dont have the time. Plus its minus 20 here today, not ideal weather for dropping the oil outside.

My old car would have been at least 2 oil changes in that time period, at 50 bucks a change, I wont complain too much about 70 for the same time period. I wanted the first one done at the dealer anyways. next one is type B services, most likely I am going to an independent for that.

Looking forward to seeing how it drives without the break in oil. Not expecting much difference.
To me, if you do not do your own oil changes I would pay the few $$$ extra and have the services done at your dealer. Honda prices dont seem to bad on the MM stuff from what I am reading. Just stand your ground on the "recommended" stuff if its not called out in the MM and the price should not be to bad.

To me you get a little better peace of mind having the dealer do it, especially if its under warranty and something with the service gets botched.

Just my $.02 :)

Jay

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
Hmmm, my first oil change is coming up in the next few weeks or so. MM advises oil at 40% but I plan to have dealer change anyway. Also plan to have the tires rotated. When I purchased my vehicle I received a "customer loyalty" card from the dealership that included 3 free oil changes among other discounted services. Not sure if I'm running synthetic now but that's what I plan to ask for at the oil change. I'm a cynical kind of guy and am wondering what the catch is with the free oil changes?
What do you mean "MM advises oil at 40%"

If you mean the car says the oil life is at 40%, then why is "your first oil change coming up in the next few weeks or so"?

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
I had the dealer change my oil as the first oil change is free and brought the car to them at 5% which was at 7900 miles, they changed the filter and rotated the tires, took 20 minutes. They did a good job, problem is the dealer I bought it from is 30 miles away. I always do my own maintenance but this was free!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I am curious now. If the manual says change at 40%, I probably pooched my warranty. But then why would the oil life tick down to 0%? Logically that suggests that there should be 2 oild changes in that 100% oil life meter..... did something get lost in the translation?

hmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
288 Posts
Oh, I am curious now. If the manual says change at 40%, I probably pooched my warranty. But then why would the oil life tick down to 0%? Logically that suggests that there should be 2 oild changes in that 100% oil life meter..... did something get lost in the translation?

hmmmmmmmm
The MM will tell that service is due soon at 15%. I usually change when the MM is at 5%. I've only done one servicing so far and my car is currently at 15,000km with about 60% to go.

·
4,339 Posts

If you mean the car says the oil life is at 40%, then why is "your first oil change coming up in the next few weeks or so"?

hmmmmmmmm
I read it that the MM says 40% but he is doing it anyway.

Jay

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
68 bucks..jeezus. Even with premium oil and filter (Amsoil + PureOne) it only costs me ~$35 to do it myself, and I know it's being done right when I'm the one turning the wrench.

·
4,339 Posts

68 bucks..jeezus. Even with premium oil and filter (Amsoil + PureOne) it only costs me ~$35 to do it myself, and I know it's being done right when I'm the one turning the wrench.
I think he is "North of the Border". :)

Jay

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah 68 bucks aint cheap ...... and it is in the Toronto area
That includes tax, an environmental fee ( read more tax ) and I had to turn down the "free wash" as we are back in another "polar vortex" My car would have been a giant ice cube this morning. But I will be checking independents for the next one The 50 bucks I paid on my old 04 Accord 4 cyl, it was from an independent

I did check the manual for oil change intervals and its says to follow the Maintenance Minder. Specifically it says when its 15% or below, change the oil. No mention of distance anywhere. So I have not pooched my warranty. Funny, my buddy just picked up new Infinitti Q50 V6, his interval is 8,000 kms for oil. Whats does Honda know that Infinitti doesnt?

I could have probably got another few weeks out of it but I just happened to have nothing to do after work last night so it got done. Yeppers, I feel better that my baby is now full of nice clean oil. I do a lot of "short trips" in the winter so for me, 15% was probably the right thing to do.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

I stand corrected. Vehicle shows oil life at 40%.

hmmmmmmmm
No problem with your warranty. Gonna go ahead and get my oil changed for the reasons stated below.

I read it that the MM says 40% but he is doing it anyway.

Jay
You're correct. Have a few things I want the dealer to check out so I figured I'd go ahead and get the oil changed and tires rotated. Oil level seemed a little low after 3 months of ownership so I dropped by the dealership and purchased a quart of oil. Mentioned that to one of the service guys and he said don't worry about it and come back at 5K for oil change. I added about 1/3 to 1/4 quart to the car at the time. Guess I'm being paranoid about the whole thing. Probably wasn't checked properly during the PDI. They also delivered my car with the tires at about 43 psi. Took me a week to figure out why it was riding so rough. Hate sitting around the dealership or making numerous trips so I've got my list of concerns and will give them the day to check them all out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You live in Arizona.. where its warm year round, Im sure you wouldnt get going outside here in Michigan where its 15 degrees to change the oil.
Not everyone has that option.. or even people that live in Apartments.. their landlords might kick them out for turning the parking lot into a service station.

·
4,057 Posts
You live in Arizona.. where its warm year round, Im sure you wouldnt get going outside here in Michigan where its 15 degrees to change the oil.
Not everyone has that option.. or even people that live in Apartments.. their landlords might kick them out for turning the parking lot into a service station.
Don't underestimate how miserable it is to be under a 180F engine with 120F ambient temperatures (because the entire garage heats up). Sometimes I have to stop because my sweat is dripping all over the engine bay.

Super cold > super hot, because you can fix being cold by throwing on more clothes. You can't peel your skin off to become less hot.

·
4,339 Posts
Don't underestimate how miserable it is to be under a 180F engine with 120F ambient temperatures (because the entire garage heats up). Sometimes I have to stop because my sweat is dripping all over the engine bay.

Super cold > super hot, because you can fix being cold by throwing on more clothes. You can't peel your skin off to become less hot.
I love it. Not only do you guys debate oil filters/brands/change interval on ths board you also debate which weather is worse to change it in... :lmao:

Jay

·
Registered
196 Posts

I always say that, you can only take so much off... I think i was around $80 tax in for oil change, and tire rotation.

·
2014 V6 EXL Sedan
2,056 Posts
I love it. Not only do you guys debate oil filters/brands/change interval on ths board you also debate which weather is worse to change it in... :lmao:

Jay
Welcome to DriveAccord, where everything is up for argument

Next we will have someone suggesting that Honda has an ideal ambient outdoor temperature in which to change the oil, to get rid of all the metal shavings

·
4,057 Posts
Welcome to DriveAccord, where everything is up for argument

Next we will have someone suggesting that Honda has an ideal ambient outdoor temperature in which to change the oil, to get rid of all the metal shavings
I prefer 70 degrees myself. Not too hot, not too cold. Come at me bro.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I prefer taking our cars to my trusted indy Honda mechanic, now that I have one, no matter what the ambient temp. I changed my own oil for 45+ years. The last half of that had not a thing to do with economics, just trusted no one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts