Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi Guys,

I went to one of the "premium" Honda dealerships in New England to perform first (A1) service. A long story short, i think they messed up everything they could.

I don't want to talk about small issues, but I think they overfilled my engine.. In the document they gave me I see they put 5 qt and the manual clearly states 4.4 qt. I double checked oil level and it's 1 cm above the maximum on the stick on a level surface (or almost level) also, I found a leak on the engine (I think it's a leak, correct me if I'm wrong, see attached).

Is it really bad? Can it be resolved just by draining some oil? Do I need to change any parts now?

I'm not a car guru and just wanted to service my car well and have appropriate service record. I'll definitely bring this to service attention today, just want some advise on what to demand from them.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'd bet you're ok. 1cm isn't significant. Visible oil could be some spillage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not that easy. It's new 0W20 oil which I can barely see in the sunlight, but I can try, maybe tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Spillage from the guys doing the oil change, not seepage. Spillage may not even be a word, LOL.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think I would take it back and show the service manager the spilled oil and overfill. These are fairly small problems but they (the dealership) needs to be made aware of them. Or if you don't feel like fooling with it just wipe up the spilled oil and keep an eye on the area where it was to be sure there are no leaks. Overfilling oil is not a good idea but a small amount such as you describe should be no problem for the engine.

Remember the guy working in the lube bay is not their best and brightest mechanic, it may be some kid that was flipping burgers at mickey D's the week before.

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
I know I'm not a 9G owner, but I have been "that lube tech" and the oil you are seeing is definitely "spillage" that was not cleaned up. As for the oil being overfilled, that is a matter of trying to get things done quickly; I.e. not waiting 5 min after starting the car to check the oil. The oil may not have been settled in the oil pan when they checked it, which would have caused the dipstick to show that it was "good." The document saying 5 qts is how much you were billed for. Its just a rule of thumb for Hondas to get 4.2-4.5 qts so the dealer will charge 5 qts instead of 4.3 @ $8.XX. It does not mean they added 5 qts.

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
1. It looks like spillage from pouring
2. If your engine is over filled, its not completely detrimental. What usually happens when there is too much oil, is it will cause the push rods to splash around the oil and create bubbles. This can sometimes lead to de-priming your oil pump in some cases. Too low of oil, can cause the same problem as well.

Note: The tech may have gone over 4.4 quarts because of the oil filter. Read the manual and see if you can decipher the amount of oil needed if you don't replace the oil filter, compared if you do need to replace the oil filter. With an A1 I think you only change the oil and not the filter. The tech may have added more because he was confused. I was taught to add more oil then recommended with a filter change. The amount the manual says I think is the amount the oil pan can hold. Let me know if I am wrong though.

I really wouldn't worry too much either way. if its only slightly over. I would honestly just leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I took mine to the same dealer where I purchased it for the first oil change.

After driving it home it sat in the garage for an hour until I had to back it out to pull my lawn mower out. After backing it out I noticed a puddle of oil on the garage floor - not a few drops but a puddle - clearly something was leaking.

I called them up and drove it back - when I got out of the car the service guy told me "it could be some oil that spilled on the block that's dripping off." Yeah - after driving it home 10 miles I can't believe any oil would still be on the engine and besides - this was a PUDDLE not a few drops.

After sitting for 10 minutes they called me back to the service area and told me I was all set - then gave me a card for a free oil change and apologized for the inconvenience - heh...

Stuff happens.

·
Registered
203 Posts
1. It looks like spillage from pouring
2. If your engine is over filled, its not completely detrimental. What usually happens when there is too much oil, is it will cause the push rods to splash around the oil and create bubbles. This can sometimes lead to de-priming your oil pump in some cases. Too low of oil, can cause the same problem as well.

Note: The tech may have gone over 4.4 quarts because of the oil filter. Read the manual and see if you can decipher the amount of oil needed if you don't replace the oil filter, compared if you do need to replace the oil filter. With an A1 I think you only change the oil and not the filter. The tech may have added more because he was confused. I was taught to add more oil then recommended with a filter change. The amount the manual says I think is the amount the oil pan can hold. Let me know if I am wrong though.

I really wouldn't worry too much either way. if its only slightly over. I would honestly just leave it alone.
Pushrods in an OHC engine?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I took mine to the same dealer where I purchased it for the first oil change.

After driving it home it sat in the garage for an hour until I had to back it out to pull my lawn mower out. After backing it out I noticed a puddle of oil on the garage floor - not a few drops but a puddle - clearly something was leaking.

I called them up and drove it back - when I got out of the car the service guy told me "it could be some oil that spilled on the block that's dripping off." Yeah - after driving it home 10 miles I can't believe any oil would still be on the engine and besides - this was a PUDDLE not a few drops.

After sitting for 10 minutes they called me back to the service area and told me I was all set - then gave me a card for a free oil change and apologized for the inconvenience - heh...

Stuff happens.
I love these service people...always an excuse on their part and over concern on your part...see if they laid out $25-30 big ones for a new car, see if they would be happy with that response... good thing you noticed the puddle of oil, if you had waited until the next day, you might have done some serious damage to the engine.... Then they would say it is your fault...:paranoid:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Pushrods in an OHC engine?
I think he meant piston rods? It's my understanding that when the oil is over filled the crank dips into the oil in the pan and aerates the oil causing bubbles to form. Someone can chime in if that is wrong. I also think one of the additives added to oil is a anti-foaming agent.

·
Crosseyed and Gearless
298 Posts
hi Guys,

I went to one of the "premium" Honda dealerships in New England to perform first (A1) service. A long story short, i think they messed up everything they could.

I don't want to talk about small issues, but I think they overfilled my engine.. In the document they gave me I see they put 5 qt and the manual clearly states 4.4 qt. I double checked oil level and it's 1 cm above the maximum on the stick on a level surface (or almost level) also, I found a leak on the engine (I think it's a leak, correct me if I'm wrong, see attached).

Is it really bad? Can it be resolved just by draining some oil? Do I need to change any parts now?

I'm not a car guru and just wanted to service my car well and have appropriate service record. I'll definitely bring this to service attention today, just want some advise on what to demand from them.

Thanks.
since you admit to not being a car guru just want to make sure you are measuring oil level correctly, let car cool down for an hour, pull dipstick and clean, then reinsert for a few seconds and then pull and see where the level is. If it really is 1 cm over the top of the max line I would definitely ask them to correct that, and ask for a free oil change voucher for your trouble/expense of bringing the car back in.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
since you admit to not being a car guru just want to make sure you are measuring oil level correctly, let car cool down for an hour, pull dipstick and clean, then reinsert for a few seconds and then pull and see where the level is.
Not true. Please dont spread internet bunk...

From Page 502 of the 2013 Accord Manual:

We recommend that you check the engine oil level every time you refuel.
Park the vehicle on level ground.
Wait approximately three minutes after turning the engine off before you check
the oil.
1. Remove the dipstick (orange handle).
2. Wipe the dipstick with a clean cloth or
paper towel.
3. Insert the dipstick back all the way into its
hole.
4. Remove the dipstick again, and check the
level. It should be between the upper and
lower marks. Add oil if necessary.

·
Banned
395 Posts

Thanks.
The car business is like the computer business...the business is highly decentralized and unregulated for the most part. What I do is spend 10-15 bucks on labor and lift and providing my own qualilty semi-synthetic, which these lubes hole in a wall(cheapest) will not have. You have to try more then a one I guess and add a bit more vigilance to the process.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thank you guys for all advices. Maybe I worry too much about it and was a bit overreacted.

The dealership is Honda North. I sent an email to their service manager but got no reply. I'll call them later today / tomorrow. Actually, I picked Honda North only because they gave me fair quote last time I installed accessories, it's definitely not the closest one. I live in Boston and the closest ones are Kelly and Honda Cars of Boston. I don't know which one is better for service things.

As for level surface.. It looks quite level, maybe not perfectly level.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts