Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded in my Tesla Model S (bought new in 2014) for a 2020 Touring. Probably not the typical trade-in at a Honda dealership. First time I've basically exchanged my old car for a new car at a dealership with no money trading hands. I'm coming off many years of driving luxury cars, Porsche, Range Rover, BMWs, but have reached the point in my life where I care more about value for dollar than the ornament on my hood. My first two cars in life were Hondas and they were wonderful cars, and even after all these years I can feel the same Honda DNA in this car. I feel like the Touring is on par in terms of luxury appointments to all the entry level and even mid level luxury cars, albeit limited in matching their dynamics due to being FWD.

Anyways, glad to be here. Any other reformed luxury car owners here?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I myself came from a 2017 Model S75 and went to an Accord EX-L. The Tesla had too many problems and would have been a major maintenance liability out of warranty. Glad that I made the upgrade. One thing that I did miss was Autopilot fuctionality (even though it had a lot of problems). If you're looking to get it back, you can look into modding your Accord with OpenPilot by the comma.ai company.

Cheers!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I primped for five years in a Mercedes E550 before I got dizzy and had to come down off the high horse. Just wasn't for me long term. But I find my HAH Touring just as comfortable and better in some ways so it doesn't feel like I gave up anything except higher operating costs and faux status.

Surprised that you traded in the Tesla instead of selling it used. Not questioning your financial decision at all - just would have thought wannabe Tesla owners would line up to by a used one.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Surprised that you traded in the Tesla instead of selling it used. Not questioning your financial decision at all - just would have thought wannabe Tesla owners would line up to by a used one.
Not sure who is lining up to buy a 6 year old, likely out of warranty Tesla. Private sales are a pain to deal with.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Not sure who is lining up to buy a 6 year old, likely out of warranty Tesla.
Not me, but that's why I qualified my comment to wannabe Telsa owners. I thought that high resale value was a big plus for Tesla given their brand image and high upfront cost. Supposedly they outperform all other brands in resale. But I guess I shouldn't believe what the interwebs say.

Private sales are a pain to deal with.
And I agree that private sales are a pain. I have traded in more times than selling privately. I have only sold privately when the sales price difference justified the effort and the sale would be easy because the interest in the car was high.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You should be pleased with the Honda quality. My neighbor has a Tesla S and the SUV. He likes the economy but the fit and finish is more like a Russian Trabant than a luxury car so hope you like the upgrade. I cant believe you didnt have to pay extra to get the Accord? I would have thought an early edition electric car would have no retail value. I certainly wouldnt buy a new one, never mind a well used Tesla, you escaped an impending money pit I suspect lol!!! I bought the Accord Touring Hybrid, love it when I fill up and it gives me an estimated range of usually 904 is kms. Im up in Canada so we use kms here. I usually actually get 850 ish before refuel light comes on.

·
HK Moderator
13,929 Posts
He likes the economy but the fit and finish is more like a Russian Trabant than a luxury car so hope you like the upgrade.
Comrade banjaboy, you are speaking of the East German Trabant- not Russian. The Russkies had the Lada, another fine offering from the commies. Here are the Trabant and Lada....

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry Comrade, yopu are correct! Please dont send me to Siberia. You get my drift though?

I saw a Top Gun where they were playing with that little SUV, really funny.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,895 Posts
I had a older Mercedes, it was a wonderful, impressive, well handling sedan. It was just powerless.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I assume the Tesla was paid off, and had next to no operating costs other than a bump on your electric bill. Do "older" (2014 not being old by any means) Teslas require significant maintenance that I'm unaware of?

That's great that you didn't have to pay additional for the new Accord. You might miss the Tesla when you're at the gas pump and getting oil changes and other maintenance done, but other than that it's purely preference. Best of luck with the new car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
At least with your new car, turning on the heat won't also reduce your range.
Nor the A/C. Or, as I've learned lately, going ~80-85mph sustained (where legal to do so) vs 55-60mph on a highway/trip.

In any case, welcome indeed back to Hondas!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I assume the Tesla was paid off, and had next to no operating costs other than a bump on your electric bill. Do "older" (2014 not being old by any means) Teslas require significant maintenance that I'm unaware of?

That's great that you didn't have to pay additional for the new Accord. You might miss the Tesla when you're at the gas pump and getting oil changes and other maintenance done, but other than that it's purely preference. Best of luck with the new car.
Yes it was paid off, but off warranty with the after warranty potential for expenses typical of a 6 figure car. In fact there were two issues requiring non emergent repairs that probably would have totaled $3k that initially motivated me to consider my options. Recommended maintenance for a Model S is $600/year. I did it every other year. Even then, between that and the higher insurance premiums and higher registration fees here in California where we actually have to pay more to register an EV, paying for gas and oil changes will be offset somewhat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I traded in my Tesla Model S (bought new in 2014) for a 2020 Touring. Probably not the typical trade-in at a Honda dealership. First time I've basically exchanged my old car for a new car at a dealership with no money trading hands. I'm coming off many years of driving luxury cars, Porsche, Range Rover, BMWs, but have reached the point in my life where I care more about value for dollar than the ornament on my hood. My first two cars in life were Hondas and they were wonderful cars, and even after all these years I can feel the same Honda DNA in this car. I feel like the Touring is on par in terms of luxury appointments to all the entry level and even mid level luxury cars, albeit limited in matching their dynamics due to being FWD.

I have owned a couple luxury cars most recently an Audi A6 and loved the supercharged engine, the solid build of the car, the beautiful interior, etc. As you mentioned, the cost isn’t worth it. My lease payment (yes lease) was 1k a month! How on earth that makes sense I don’t know but I wanted to have the expierence of driving a luxury car and enjoyed it until that payment came due each month. Fast forward and after a brief stint in a mid life crisis Camaro SS convertible, I have the 2018 version of the car you have. The features and driving expierence are close to the luxury cars from my past but for a lot less money. Best of luck with the new car!

·
Registered
6 Posts

View attachment 519635
I still have my 2019 SL and I bought a 2019 EX-L for my daily driver. I was looking at getting an E Class but after driving it I just couldn’t bring myself to spend What they were asking for it. I just want that impressed with it. I like the. Looks of the 2019 Accord so I figured WTH I’ll test drive one. I like it as much as the E Class and more considering the price of the car. Very happy with it. I can’t see myself ever buying a as Mercedes or BMW again as my everyday car. When SL lease is up I’m most likely getting a Corvette C8. I’ ll be doing my best to buy US cars from now on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congrats on the new car! I come from a family of people constantly buying luxury cars (and only that). My brother tried to get me to purchase a Long-Range Model S instead of our 2nd Accord, but still range wise wasn't enough for me along with having to stop and charge up (instead of just filling up and going about my trip) I just couldn't justify buying one. My brother and his wife, however, have 4 Tesla's (he gave one to our parents) and he's somewhere on the Tesla forum yapping about how great they are. Don't get me wrong his P100D is AMAZING but with all the times his car has been back to Tesla for repairs is too many for me. Congrats on the Accord OP! My brother always talks about how the Tesla owners get FURIOUS when someone sells their car for something else haha!

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,277 Posts
A lot of nice cars mentioned in this thread: Porsche, Range Rover, BMWs, MB E550 and SL, Audi A6, etc. I drive a Honda because I can’t afford those others. I’d trade my car in a minute for a slightly older 335i M-Sport.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts