1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
2009 accord ex 4 cylinder
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up brodas !!!
I will be attempting my firs ever oil change
And need you help.plz
Is it worth it or should i just pay 30 bucks to have my mechanic do it ?
I know i need 5w20
What are the best brands for oil and filter?
How many qtrs of oil do i need to buy ?.thanks
And also where can i dump the used oil
Do.i need to change the washer

·
Registered
19 Posts
If know what filter and oil your mechanic uses, he's competent, and you most importantly trust him, yes, $30 is a decent deal.

There are many options for oils and filter. I use mobil 1 oil and mobil 1 filters or pureone filters. Which ever is on sale at the time.

What size engine do you have? Your manual will state the amount of quarts required.

Dump the oil at a pep boys or any place that takes used oil, gas station, shop, another auto store. It's should be free and no charge.

Yes, it's recommended to change the washer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Whats up brodas !!!
And need you help.plz
I know i need 5w20
If its 30 bucks and you don't have to take the oil or the filter to him that's pretty reasonable to me.

Any oil is good synthetic of course better you can pick up a 5QT bottle at walmart of fully syn oil for 25 bucks can't beat that.. Mobil1, Valvoline, Pennzoil you choose.

You can take your used oil to any parts store like Auto zone or Walmart or the closest one near you.

Replace the crush washer. For the filter Fram Ultra is good, Purolator, Wix, Mobil1, K&N. Good luck

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot brothers for the information !
Anybody knows the size of the washer ? That way i could buy a few of them
I have a 09 i4 sedan ex

·
Wisdom Born of Age
1,750 Posts
The hardest part of doing it yourself will be finding a legal place to recycle your oil. Doing it yourself will give you a good feeling, however, if you have a mechanic you trust, go there. Just make sure he uses a new compression washer on the oil pan.

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks keith do you the part number or size of the washer

·
Wisdom Born of Age
1,750 Posts
Always had it done by dealer as he did for free. That said, any Honda dealer can sell you one for a reasonable price.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
Help a broda out :)

There's tons of places that accept used oil. Walmart sells in the automotive section a large black plastic jug that's meant to store used oil (enough for 3 oil changes). When it's full, take it to Autozone and they'll have a giant reservoir for waste oil in the back that you empty it into. Simple. I suspect you could drop your oil off at Jiffy Lube (or similar) and they'll take it too.

To make it simple: Mobil1 oil and Bosch Premium or PureOne filter (or Mobil1 filter).

The washer is 14mm (I think I4 and V6 are probably the same) #94109-14000 . If you want to check your model specifically, it's under "CYLINDER BLOCK - OIL PAN": http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts...l.asp?m=2012-accord-4-lx-5at&sn=&b=E++14&dl=#

No one will care as much about your car as you, which is why I do everything I can myself unless it's outside my abilities (usually limited by tools / equipment)

·
08 Coupe EX-L 6-6
36 Posts
I used to do my own oil, but the work + cleanup is really not worth it to save ~$10. My dealer charges $36 for an oil/filter change, plus tops off other fluids, checks tire pressures, replaces wiper inserts for $5/side, and does a pretty decent inspection (after all they have to find things to upsell!). All done in less than 30 minutes while I drink coffee and play with my phone...

·
Registered
275 Posts
For most oil changes I swing by the dealer and grab and OEM filter since they come with the washer. :thmsup:

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
oil changes are probably the one of the easiest things to do to your baby. its also a fantastic feeling knowing you did it. it will also give you the confidence to try harder maintenance procedures.

ill be using any of the high mileage oils out. synthetic i wont use. fantastic stuff, but ill be changing her oil every 4 months. oil is her life blood.

there was a guy about 2 years ago that put a million miles on his accord. fluid changes were the big thing he did. got a free 2011 accord, and other stuff from Honda. have you ever herd of another car going 1 million miles?

everyone enjoy your baby, and treat her right, and she will do the same for you.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Whats up brodas !!!
And need you help.plz
I know i need 5w20
Reasons why you should let a mechanic do your oil change

1. Hard to get to the bolt(and sometimes filter) without propping the car
2. Hard to get the oil fill bolt off
3. hot oil will hit your hand causing discomfort
4. propping the car up is cumbersome
4.5 you can strip the bolt if you try to loosen it at an angle that is not parallel to the angle it is propped up at
5. draining the oil and filter can be messy and during transport can spill on the floor board if not in a sealed container(you can "dump" the old oil at Auto Zone etc et al)
6. an almost certainty is the dolt *no pun* will overfill the oil by up to 1 quart(you ONLY need 4.5 quarts but the jug is 5 quarts) causing your super sensitive accord to perform slower due extra oil needing pumping
7. the dolt *no pun* will not put a new filter on to save some cash or he forgets to for *his* convenience
8. the dolt *no pun* will reuse the old crush washer (minor)
9. the dolt *pun intended* will almost never lube the rubber gasket on the oil filter

Reasons why you should do it yourself
1. you get to pick the oil you want to put in
2. you won't overfill it since you are not a dolt *no pun*
3. you get to pick what filter you use and lube the rubber gasket ensuring a seal once tightened
4. you get to put a new crush washer (minor since you DO NOT need to replace after each oil change)
5. save $$ but you have to have a way to lift the car and tools and strength to remove bolt and filter

Reason why you should bring your own oil and filter and crush washer to shop
1. Best of all worlds (if shop permits, if they don't move on to another)
2. Might get a discount since you are providing your own oil and filter and crush washer(optional)
You have to supervise but its more fun to watch it go down without any of the cons mentioned above

Best oil: Motorcraft 5w-20(wal mart) semi-synthetic blend with any Puralator filter (the classic is only 3 bucks at walmart) I have used this oil since 20k and using this oil has allowed me to extend the life of my spark plugs and timing belt!!

P.S. don't forget to make the tech add air to your tires since the car is already on the shop floor as well as tire shops will try to peddle new tires every time you need to add air

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,057 Posts
oil changes are probably the one of the easiest things to do to your baby. its also a fantastic feeling knowing you did it. it will also give you the confidence to try harder maintenance procedures.
Begin off topic:

True that. But my ambition is usually tempered by the apparent fact that no matter how much money I spend I tools, I always seem to be missing one or two that would make XYZ job so much easier. Rear brake rotors I needed a 17mm wrench for the caliper bracket because there wasn't enough clearance for a socket. Of course I didn't have anything greater than 16mm (I fixed that and bought 17 up through 20mm)

I'm currently trying to talk myself into spending $70 on a set of extra long x-beam wrenches. Today I already talked myself into buying a 22mm offset wrench to get my alternator pulley off.

Bottom line: it's a slippery slope, doing your own work.

·
Freelance Gynecologist
215 Posts
The hardest part of doing it yourself will be finding a legal place to recycle your oil. Doing it yourself will give you a good feeling, however, if you have a mechanic you trust, go there. Just make sure he uses a new compression washer on the oil pan.
I'm not sure about your locality, but for us, if a store sells oil they have to accept it back for recycling.

I used to do my own changes too. For you it might be worth the headache, for me it wasn't. My dealer changes it with synthetic for 50 bucks, has a nice waiting room, and gets me in and out quick. I like that they'll have record of my oil changes, and I like that I don't have to worry about getting under my car. The convenience is worth a few extra bucks to me.

If you've never done it, have a friend stop by who knows how or find a DIY on the site just so you can learn how to do it.

·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cant thank you enough each one you brothers , thank you for taking the time to reply i appreciated it !

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
Begin off topic:

True that. But my ambition is usually tempered by the apparent fact that no matter how much money I spend I tools, I always seem to be missing one or two that would make XYZ job so much easier. Rear brake rotors I needed a 17mm wrench for the caliper bracket because there wasn't enough clearance for a socket. Of course I didn't have anything greater than 16mm (I fixed that and bought 17 up through 20mm)

I'm currently trying to talk myself into spending $70 on a set of extra long x-beam wrenches. Today I already talked myself into buying a 22mm offset wrench to get my alternator pulley off.

Bottom line: it's a slippery slope, doing your own work.
i can appreciate that, but ive been doing my own maintenance for almost 40 years. plus im a tool guy. if i need it to do the job i just get it. if its a 1 time use ill get it from harbor freight. if a common needed tool ill get snap on, mac, craftsman. i don't mind paying for quality tools.

slippery yes, but the cash you save can be alot, and worth the money. a 17-20mm wrenches will be used enough to warrant buying them.

i changed my heater core on my 91 accord wagon at a cost of about $80 to $100. not sure what it would have cost at a shop, but no where near $100 all said and done. TOOL MONEY!!!

both front axils, torsion bar bushings. cost $120. torsion bar bushing at Firestone would have been $170. both axils $750 each at Firestone.

doing your own work just makes sense these days. $100 per hour shop rates, cost of fuel, are 2 good reasons to learn/do your own work.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Reasons why you should let a mechanic do your oil change (have no beer)

1. Hard to get to the bolt(and sometimes filter) without propping the car
2. Hard to get the oil fill bolt off
3. hot oil will hit your hand causing discomfort
4. propping the car up is cumbersome
4.5 you can strip the bolt if you try to loosen it at an angle that is not parallel to the ground
5. disposing the oil can be messy and can spill on the floor board during transport if not in a sealed container(you can "dump" the old oil at Auto Zone etc et al)
6. an almost certainty that the dolt *no pun* will overfill the oil by up to 1 quart(you ONLY need 4.5 quarts but the jug is 5 quarts) causing your super sensitive accord to perform slower due its that sensitive
7. the dolt *no pun* will not put a new filter on to save some cash or he forgets to for *his* convenience
8. the dolt *no pun* will reuse the old crush washer (minor)
9. the dolt *pun intended* will almost never lube the rubber gasket on the oil filter

Reasons why you should do it yourself
1. you get to pick the oil you want to put in and your favorite beer for your self
2. you won't overfill it since you are not a dolt *no pun* (have a beer)
3. you get to pick what filter you use and lube the rubber gasket ensuring a seal once tightened (have a beer)
4. you get to put a new crush washer (minor since you DO NOT need to replace after each oil change)
5. save $$ but you have to have a way to lift the car and tools and strength to remove bolt and filter (have a beer)

Reason why you should bring your own oil and filter and crush washer to shop (have no beer)
1. Best of all worlds (if shop permits, if they don't move on to another)
2. Might get a discount since you are providing your own oil and filter and crush washer(optional)
You have to supervise but its more fun to watch it go down without any of the cons mentioned above

Best oil: Motorcraft 5w-20(wal mart) semi-synthetic blend with any Puralator filter (the classic is only 3 bucks at walmart) I have used this oil since 20k and using this oil has allowed me to extend the life of my spark plugs and timing belt!!

P.S. don't forget to make the tech add air to your tires since the tire shops will try to peddle new tires every time you need to add air
anything can be fix with beer.

·
Honda Nation
1,678 Posts
4.5 you can strip the bolt if you try to loosen it at an angle that is not parallel to the ground
Uh, I think you mean perpendicular..... if you were loosening your drain plug at an angle parallel to the ground your car is sitting on it's rear bumper and you'd need a step ladder to reach the drain plug :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts