Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
LGRW
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I actually just picked up my brand new 2015 Accord Sport from the dealer on Saturday! Since then, everyone has been overloading me with recommendations and must-do's and dont's.

First off, almost everyone is telling me to rust-proof the car. Does this need to be done asap? I've heard that if I take it somewhere that drills holes in the car that it could be problematic in the future as per potential corrosion..?

Second, some people are telling me to wax it right away. Some people are saying don't.

Im a huge newbie to all of this, this is after all my first car. If you all dont mind throwing me some tips/and suggestions to keep the integrity of my car at its finest I'd appreciate it!

Was also what you guys are using to clean your dash and interior with? I hate "armor all" and am wondering which product to pick up.

Thanks everyone, look forward to any suggestions about ANNYYTTHINNGGG and to being a part of driveaccord!

·
Registered
941 Posts
Any of the interior protectants work fine, just a matter of preference. Most speak highly of 303, which can be found on amazon.

As for exterior, i would get it clayed and ablayer of paint sealant applied asap. Do that every 4 months and youll stay pretty sharp. Do that at a minimum. Can essily be done yourself for minimal investment and a couple hours time.

If id had it to do over again, i wouldve had the car coated immediately upon purchase. A bit more involved, but worth it.

Oh, get some weather tech mats as soon as you can.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Back in the 1700's you had to wait before putting a coat of wax on a new car - today there's no problems with waxing it on the way home from the dealer lot.

There's a wide range of things you can do ranging from a full detail (clay, polish & seal - this is what I did with my last new car) to washing it and squirting some spray wax on it and call it a day. It really depends on your energy level and how anal you are. At the very least you can wash it with something to strip the wax off, then clay it (or nanoskin) - then apply a couple layers of a good paint sealant (I like the Blackfire Wet Diamond!) and enjoy!

For the interior once a week you will need to vacuum - then use a mild cleaner (I like the Griots interior cleaner) and once every couple months (depending on how much time your car sits outside in the sun) go over the interior with Aerospace 303 (follow the directions!) and you're golden.

Have fun - nothing quite as special as your FIRST brand new car!!

Wet Diamond:

Aerospace 303: Amazon.com: 303 (30313-CSR) Aerospace Protectant Trigger Sprayer, 32 Fl. oz.: Automotive

Griots Interior Cleaner: Amazon.com: Griot's Garage 11104SP Interior Cleaner - 35 oz.: Automotive

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
You can do nothing and you'll be fine. Seriously. Don't overthink this.

As to rust-proofing - Wow - can't believe anyone would recommend that. Tell them the '70's called and it wants their #1 dealer profit-maker back. Modern cars don't need rust-proofing.

As to Weather Tech mats - your decision. I'm sure they're nice. I chose to just use the factory mats. It all depends on what floats your boat.

If you want, you can put some inexpensive wipe on, wipe off sealant (I picked up some Maguire's Ultimate Wax (it's not really a wax but more of a paint sealant)). Easy to wipe on, wipe off - the days of waxing a car are way behind us.

And I agree with Ltxi - ignore all the unwanted advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts