Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been doing A LOT of reading as far as how to do everything... Only looming question is products. Talk about a huge and broad market... Anyway...

After thoroughly reading the guide Glen posted (sticky) I've come up with this:
Text Blue Font Number Line

Thoughts? Has anyone had problems with the Blackfire stuff? Reviews are good...

I am definitely willing to fork out money for the detailing, well worth it.

In the future I do plan to get an orbital polisher, but that's not in my budget right this moment... I know I need to get this done NOW, had the car for 4 weeks now.

Also, can anyone make any recommendations for a sealant for cloth upholstery?

Am I missing anything for an initial job that I overlooked? Suggestions on any lower prices or another vendor?

Any and all constructive criticism welcome! I am a complete n00b after all...

Thanks in advance,
Murph

P.S. Have a :banana:

EDIT: Just remembered detailing clay... Any recommendations there?

·
Registered
159 Posts
X2 what Glen said. I'll assume you already have a wash bucket. I would also recommend the Blackfire car shampoo, and some clay. I bought a Meguire's clay kit locally for $20-25. IMO the deep clean from the clay really makes a difference in final gloss/shine.

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
I am not a fan of the blackfire tire shine if that is their gel. It is a little thick and does not go on smooth and the shine does not seem to last . I have had good luck with Surf city tire shine spry the shine last longer . just my 2ct

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses!

good list - I'd add Poorboy's Natural Look Lotion for the interior - plastic or leather protectant

the only problem with blackfire is like every other product - people often use too much and glop it on, rather than thin coats...
I will keep that in mind

Well thought out :thmsup:
For upholstery protection this is the standard:

http://www.amazon.com/Scotchgard-Interior-Fabric-Protector-10-Ounce/dp/B001NPD7BK

It can be purchased locally of course.
Awesome, I was looking at that, I'll check it out.

I am not a fan of the blackfire tire shine if that is their gel. It is a little thick and does not go on smooth and the shine does not seem to last . I have had good luck with Surf city tire shine spry the shine last longer . just my 2ct
Noted, thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
OP,
Congrats on your new car.
Since it's new, most likely you don't need to clay it but you should check. You want to make sure it's done right the first time.

After getting the blackfire treatment and seal it, you will probably going to wash the car every 2-3 weeks. You may want to look up Glen's rinseless posting or you can youtube for Gary Dean's Rinseless. Probably best to throw in Duragloss Rinseless soap to save yourself shipping later on (this one: http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-rinseless-wash-128.html). If you need more microfiber towels, I bought a bundle of microfiber towel at Costco and use it for the rinseless wash (Kirkland Signature Ultra Plush Microfiber Towels, 36 ct for $20).

You may want to call autopia or autogeek to see if they can give you free shipping. I ordered a bunch of stuff several weeks ago with a $20 coupon but shipping was like $25-30. I called to ask if they can give me free shipping, they did and we did the order over the phone. The problem with order on-line is you can only enter one promotion

Enjoy
ps: the money saved on shipping goes to the duragloss rinseless wash :)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'll have to disagree on the BFTETG. Keep in mind it does not contain silicone...which is a good thing. If your having problems with it not going on smooth, your tires are probably not clean enough. It's really not supposed to shine, although I have gotten a good week of shine with 2 coats, but I've been going with the satin look with one coat and my tires will retain that look between tire cleanings (sometimes 3-4 weeks). How do you apply it? That could be another factor in why you feel it doesn't go on smooth. One trick is don't just wipe around the tire once and think it's done...I go around each tire several times (without adding more gel mind you) to make sure I get good even coverage and the product is worked into the tire. No sling either and a little goes a long way. I am maybe 1/3 down on my 16 oz. bottle after probably 25-30 applications. My 2 cents.

To the OP, it looks like you got the spray for the tires. Just a recommendation...spray it on the applicator first then wipe the tires.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Your list looks very similar to mine that I just purchased a few days ago....of course based on Glen's recommendations. I hope to have it all in by the weekend so I can knock it all out. Do a google search for Autopia and Autogeek coupon codes. I found one for 20% off and one for free shipping. I tried them both, and with what I bought, I got the best deal with the 20% off coupon.

Looks like you already found one autopia coupon, here are a few others:

Autopia: "autopia" gives 10% discount or "freeship95" gives free shipping on orders over $95

Autogeek.net: "forumseptember" gives 20% discount or "ship50" or "ship99" gives free shipping on orders over $50 and $99 respectively.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Your list looks very similar to mine that I just purchased a few days ago....of course based on Glen's recommendations. I hope to have it all in by the weekend so I can knock it all out. Do a google search for Autopia and Autogeek coupon codes. I found one for 20% off and one for free shipping. I tried them both, and with what I bought, I got the best deal with the 20% off coupon.

Autopia: "autopia" gives 10% discount or "freeship95" gives free shipping on orders over $95

Autogeek.net: "forumseptember" gives 20% discount or "ship50" or "ship99" gives free shipping on orders over $50 and $99 respectively.
both of these do free shipping events all the time. Sign up on the forums and you'll get emails so you know when these are. At least once a month if not more often. I usually only do purchases around these events. I don't think I have ever paid shipping. Also, keep an eye on the BOGO's and don't forget to add your free sample every time you order $95+!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
both of these do free shipping events all the time. Sign up on the forums and you'll get emails so you know when these are. At least once a month if not more often. I usually only do purchases around these events. I don't think I have ever paid shipping. Also, keep an eye on the BOGO's and don't forget to add your free sample every time you order $95+!!

yeah I forgot to add my free sample. I got side tracked and hit the submit button before I remembered :(

next time.....

Anyway, to the OP,something to think about when shiopping for the best deal using coupons.... I found everything on your order at autogeek also with the exception of the tire and trim applicator, I found something similar for the same price...

But using the 20% off coupon, that order would cost you:

Subtotal: $131.91
Shipping: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
20% savings: -$26.38
Total: $105.53.... NEED TO ADD SHIPPING COSTS OR CALL THEM FOR BOTH DISCOUNTS

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
yeah I forgot to add my free sample. I got side tracked and hit the submit button before I remembered :(
Happens to me almost every time. Just put in order in at ACC on Sunday and remembered right after I pushed the submit button. I did email ACC order dept immediately and they were able to add my sample before it shipped Monday morning. Great customer service at both ACC and AG!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, I ordered the supplies last week, I'll have to keep all that in mind as far as ordering goes, that would've saved a decent penny. I did find the free shipping code for Autopia, however, I took a shot in the dark with "autopia15off" for shits and giggles, and it worked, so at least got 15% off my order.

I am happy with how the BF Tire Shine performed, not super shiny, but I don't like that much anyway, pictured below is with two coats, well worked in.

All in all, not perfect, but not bad for my first time, and by hand:

I am pleased with it and will be getting an orbital before my next run :lmao:

Now, naturally it rained all night and I had to use some quick detail on the rear end today, but still looks good!

I didn't even know about this o_O

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.