Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past week, I’ve noticed engine drone in the cabin develop and get louder after a long trip over the Memorial Day weekend. Sounds like exhaust drone on acceleration and deceleration, but my exhaust is stock. (2014 EX-L V6 AT). No symptoms at idle.

I do have a SRI with intake resonator removed, but from my ears, the sound is independent of the intake. I’ve had this setup for almost a year without anything like this happening. The intake still growls as usual, but it is getting muffled out by the engine drone within the cabin. It’s that loud.

What’s strange is that it developed and grew louder over a period of 4 days. I’m going to check everything that I can under the hood, but was wondering if I could get some feedback on possible causes before I decide to take her into my shop. Thanks in advance.

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Driving home from work today, I noticed the sound begins to show up around 35mph and up. I'm thinking now because it developed gradually, it may not be engine related and could be in the wheel area, with the rotation of the wheels producing the sound, which is a big concern as well. Checked all tire pressure and torqued lugs and everything is good on that end. Still no clues... =/

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Check if you have issues with your wheel bearings. Jack up your car and shake your wheels. You can also spin each wheel and see if there is noise coming off from a failed bearing.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Check if you have issues with your wheel bearings. Jack up your car and shake your wheels. You can also spin each wheel and see if there is noise coming off from a failed bearing.
This is a great idea. There has been some wheel bearing failures reported. More then I would think there should be.

Also go over the exhaust at joints and such. Look for snapped bolts or any punctures, crush marks, or rust.

If you jack the car up and spin the wheel and hear any dragging making sure it is not brake pads, then you have a wheel bearing issue. If you can move or wiggle the whole tire then wheel bearing is it again.

Let us know what you find.

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a great idea. There has been some wheel bearing failures reported. More then I would think there should be.

Also go over the exhaust at joints and such. Look for snapped bolts or any punctures, crush marks, or rust.

If you jack the car up and spin the wheel and hear any dragging making sure it is not brake pads, then you have a wheel bearing issue. If you can move or wiggle the whole tire then wheel bearing is it again.

Let us know what you find.
Big thanks to you both. Wheel bearing is a very good lead. I'll check it out and keep you all posted. Driving it to work this morning, I checked it in regards to RPM by shifting to neutral and it does sound completely independent of it. Sneaky that it just sounds so much like an exhaust drone haha.

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, just jacked the car up and found that it is most likely my right rear wheel bearing that has failed. Thanks for all the tips. I shook and wiggled all the wheels to see if there was any play, but didn't find any conclusive from that. I then spun each wheel and that gave me a greater clue. Finally, I read to pinch a suspension coil with your fingers while you spin the wheel from this useful link:

How to diagnose a bad wheel bearing everytime and how to change front wheel bearings on an E30. | RTS - Your Total BMW Enthusiast

Even with the coilovers, it definitely confirmed vibration coming from the right rear and none of the others. I went ahead and raised the car up to take to Dr. Dealership this coming week. The beauty and value of coilovers in full effect =). Any chance of this being an item covered under warranty? I read that maybe it's only fronts covered under warranty, but just wanted to see if anyone had rears covered.

Bump. Anyone have rear wheel bearings fail? and covered under warranty? Taking her in tomorrow morning. Just want to be prepared. At only 30k, this is pretty disappointing.

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took her into the dealer this morning. Confirmed the humming noise with the dealer on a ridealong. We'll see what happens from here.

·
Registered
100 Posts
How many miles on the car? Just curious.

EDIT: Nevermind, 30k.

Seems really low for a bearing to fail. I'm at 26k so I'll start paying a little more attention.

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dealer confirmed. Right rear wheel bearing failure. It will be covered under warranty. No mention of suspension modifications. Thanks again for all your helpful input. Definitely learned something new from this experience as I've never had a wheel bearing go bad on all my previous vehicles.

·
'15 6-6
565 Posts
Dealer confirmed. Right rear wheel bearing failure. It will be covered under warranty. No mention of suspension modifications. Thanks again for all your helpful input. Definitely learned something new from this experience as I've never had a wheel bearing go bad on all my previous vehicles.
Glad to hear it's warrantied!

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^ Yup! I did forget to point out that they did note my aftermarket parts in the receipt. Probably for their record to cover themselves. Here's the exact language they put:

"-UPON INSPECTION TECHNICIAN FOUND ALL 4 STRUTS ARE AFTERMARKET AND ALL 4 SPRINGS ARE AFTERMARKET, THEY ARE LOWERING SPRINGS..
-REAR SUSPENSION HAS 6 AFTERMARKET CONTROL ARMS, THREE ON THE LEFT REAR AND 3 ON THE RIGHT REAR."

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Man, the right rear wheel bearing is a real sore spot on these cars, isn't it? I was reading another thread where like 10 people all said that their right rear bearing was replaced. Kinda makes me worry that mine will give me trouble soon now that I've crossed the 10k mile mark.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
I wouldn't have covered it under warranty. Far as I'm concerned you blasted the warranty on everything related to the suspension and wheels when you went aftermarket.

·
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^blasted huh. I like that word. pew pew pew. from your sig, looks like we both blasted our warranty. LOL From the other wheel bearing problem thread, it looks like this has happened quite a bit with early mileage. Bad batch maybe. Either way, I'm sure Honda knows what's up and would rather keep me as a happy customer than deny warranty over a $200 job.

Reactions: LAF
1 - 17 of 17 Posts