Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought my son a 2003 Accord EXL 4cyl auto. Previous owner told me about issue when trying to crank over and buzzing noise will come from the starter relay in the left kick panel fuse box. Replaced the ignition switch in the steering column and problem is resolved! Really easy to change switch, dont have to remove the lock cylinder! See my links to YouTube below...

sorry, did it in 3 videos, cause i dont know how to edit it all together... :)

·
Elvira - the car
3,322 Posts
bought my son a 2003 Accord EXL 4cyl auto. Previous owner told me about issue when trying to crank over and buzzing noise will come from the starter relay in the left kick panel fuse box. Replaced the ignition switch in the steering column and problem is resolved! Really easy to change switch, dont have to remove the lock cylinder! See my links to YouTube below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_ZyEl8j3hI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iCDHvwbM7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knm12iiUBEc

sorry, did it in 3 videos, cause i dont know how to edit it all together... :)
No need to apologize !

Very well described and filmed to get the proper way to fix.

This will definitely help anyone who might be reticent to try the fix themselves.

Miker

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No need to apologize !

Very well described and filmed to get the proper way to fix.

This will definitely help anyone who might be reticent to try the fix themselves.

Miker
I read a pile of stuff on this buzzing noise and was amazed that Honda says this is normal!!! With my 35 years in the automotive repair industry, that's not "normal" when you cant start your car from the run position. This "buzzing" is the contacts failing in the ign switch and will eventually cause the car to not start. Changing the switch is super easy and you can buy them on line for approx $35.00. A lot cheaper than a breakdown and tow charge.

·
'03 E39 Sport - 5 Spd
1,426 Posts
I have the same problem with my car but its very, very rare... like a once a month kind of thing and it seems that it only happens when I slowly crank it AKA slowly turn the key.

Not a big enough deal to do anything about it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had the buzzing, though it seems quieter in mine (maybe cuz I haven't pulled the panel?), but I've never had it not start. Same issue?
Stick your ear down by the drivers side kick panel. Remove the little door that covers the fuse panel. turn your ign to the run position, then try to crank it over. If the buzzing noise is coming from the fuse panel, and the car wont crank over and start, you need an ign switch. As I mentioned, easy to change.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,412 Posts
If I turn my key slowly, between run and start position, it will make the buzzing noise. It always has. It will still start, when I turn the key all the way to start, whether the buzz happened or not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I turn my key slowly, between run and start position, it will make the buzzing noise. It always has. It will still start, when I turn the key all the way to start, whether the buzz happened or not.
Lots of people have stated that the buzzing has been going on for years. On my car, I have confirmed that the problem is in the ign switch. It might be common, but not the way the car was designed to start. For me, its peace of mind.... I am fussy, and do my best to keep my vehicles 100% reliable. I just dont want to find out the hard way that eventually, its not going to start.....

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Mine has always had the buzzing noise, it happens if I turn the key slowly between the II and starter position. I thought this was normal haha.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,412 Posts
Lots of people have stated that the buzzing has been going on for years. On my car, I have confirmed that the problem is in the ign switch. It might be common, but not the way the car was designed to start. For me, its peace of mind.... I am fussy, and do my best to keep my vehicles 100% reliable. I just dont want to find out the hard way that eventually, its not going to start.....
If I turn the key slowly, or leave it between run and start position too long, it will buzz. Once the key is turned to start, it always turns the engine over. Been doing this for all of the ten years + I've had the car. I don't think there are any reliability issues with the buzzing I hear. It's been happening since the car was new, so I figure it's just a warning not to leave the key in that position.

·
Super Moderator
10,063 Posts
I read a pile of stuff on this buzzing noise and was amazed that Honda says this is normal!!! With my 35 years in the automotive repair industry, that's not "normal" when you cant start your car from the run position.
Not unless you have a Porsche, seems the engineers there insists if the engine stopped, the driver has to turn the key all the way back then forward past run then to the start position, regardless if the engine was running and flamed out by a mis-executed clutch engagement on a manual shift car, this may be the case for their automatic transmission cars too!! :dunno:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ignition Switch Fixed

Hi wingdreamer,

Many thanks for sharing the videos. My sisters 2004 Honda Accord EX has had starting issues for several years with the buzzing sound when trying to start her car. Replaced the starter several times and it seemed to help but always went back to the buzzing. It finally got so bad that all it would do is buzz and not start. Repeated attempts to start utilizing different wrist actions would sometimes help to start. I replaced the ignition yesterday and it now works perfect as it did with the car was new.

John

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi wingdreamer,

Many thanks for sharing the videos. My sisters 2004 Honda Accord EX has had starting issues for several years with the buzzing sound when trying to start her car. Replaced the starter several times and it seemed to help but always went back to the buzzing. It finally got so bad that all it would do is buzz and not start. Repeated attempts to start utilizing different wrist actions would sometimes help to start. I replaced the ignition yesterday and it now works perfect as it did with the car was new.

John
Glad it worked for you too John. Has been 8 months now and mines still good! :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
sorry to revive this thread, but does the steering wheel need to come off??

Im trying to remove the ignition switch but the steering wheel is in the way of one of the screws necessary to remove the ignition switch.

please help.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts