Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Happy owner of a blue 2017 accord exl. I've discovered some chips in the paint on my vehicle in the past few weeks. See the attached images.

I live in a snowy area so I'm looking to prevent rust long term, what do I want to do to paint these chipped pieces? Is it as simple as clearcoating it and then hitting it with a little bit of the paint in the link below?

Amazon link:

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’d just go buy a Honda branded paint pen. Comes with paint and clear in one pen. Should cost you $10-20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
And it also has a "scratcher" tip to help clean up the chip. Definitely worth buying it from the dealer.

Another option....our local dealer has a young lady who must be an artist because she has an extremely steady hand and much younger eyes than mine. For a pretty minimal fee, she will touch up all the chips using a fine-tipped brush and will build up the surface to the same level as the surrounding paint by applying several layers. She did an awesome job on my used Accord before I bought it. Perhaps your local dealer has some who could do the same thing? Just a thought.

·
ChoppednTubbed
456 Posts
From a DIY standpoint, Paintscratch (in your link) is a great product, but it may be overkill for a chip. Another product to consider is Dr. Color Chip, which is specifically formulated for chips and has an unorthodox way of utilization. I'll leave out any more details. Check out their web site. It's pretty cool. Have used both (car collector), depending on the blemish, and have had excellent results with both products. Good Luck.

·
Registered
299 Posts
For a small chip like that, you don't want to use a spray product. You need paint pen or brush application products like those described above. You would also apply the color coat first, then apply the clear topcoat. There are several other steps you can employ to make the repair less visible, and you can find many utube videos on this subject.

- Jack

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,238 Posts
If that chip is on your hood, the 16-17 hoods are aluminum, so it won’t rust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts