Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'01 EX V6. Alternator is a reman Delphi unit I bought from a dealer for $$$. It has about 40k miles on the alternator.

I had the car parked for about 6 months or so. I have had a few other issues I've been working through since firing it back up (IACV and power steering hardline). Now time to tackle this flickering issue.

The lights (headlights, interior, dash lights) all flicker. The problem comes and goes, and it seems if it's raining outside it doesn't do it as bad. On occasion it flickers enough to set my SRS and TCS lights. Sometimes it doesn't flicker at all, sometime it settles down after driving it, the flicker does seem to increase in frequency as I rev the engine (like it's alternator related). I put my DMM on it and it seems to be fluctuating from about 16 V to about 15.2 V (This was at idle on start up when it was cold). I unplugged the ELD (the white connector to the ELD in the fuse box under the hood) and it still was flickering. I have not taken the car to a auto part store to have the alternator tested, but will do that ASAP. I've checked connections to the alternator and battery and all it tight and happy there.

Any ideas? if it's the alternator, is there anything I can do to try and get it to work better, like spray electrical contact cleaner in it? or? I'm assuming it's not the ELD since I disconnected it and it did the same thing, can someone confirm that thought for me?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Drove it in to the car parts store (Advance Auto) and they tested the alternator and said it was working fine, of course when I was there the lights were not flickering, so will drop in there the next time I'm driving by and I'm having flickering.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
16volts is too high, since you have a meter flip it to the AC side and see if there is any AC ripple at the battery. It may be the regulator, but it is built in to the alternator.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
AC6DN
1,318 Posts
Check for loose battery connections (back to the alternator)...
Check all your grounds...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts