Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a V6 sedan. While it's punchy around town I've always thought it was a little underwhelming when flooring it at highway speeds (overtaking a car on a two lane road scenario). I've noticed when flooring the pedal it seems to run into a hard stop. However, annoyed one day, I decided to push further. Holy crap the car came alive. It dropped down another gear and moved out like it should. Anyone else find this to be the case?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's what I was getting at. When I push the pedal down harder than where it feels it should stop it drops down a couple of gears where I think it should. It doesn't do this when I just floor it normally.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Good god. Put it in sport and drop it down to third gear and SHEESH ITS A ROCKET...:naughty:

·
Houstonian
56 Posts
If you have the V6 auto I believe that VCM will shut off 3 cylinders so that it will save fuel. This might be why your car takes a while to get to full power.. because it needs time to fire up the other 3 cylinders? Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you have the V6 auto I believe that VCM will shut off 3 cylinders so that it will save fuel. This might be why your car takes a while to get to full power.. because it needs time to fire up the other 3 cylinders? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Only takes milliseconds for this so unlikely. More likely it's just the throttle by wire algorithm trying to save gas by not kicking down the gears low enough until you put the pedal near the end of its mechanical travel.

·
HA-420
709 Posts
I've got a V6 sedan. While it's punchy around town I've always thought it was a little underwhelming when flooring it at highway speeds (overtaking a car on a two lane road scenario). I've noticed when flooring the pedal it seems to run into a hard stop. However, annoyed one day, I decided to push further. Holy crap the car came alive. It dropped down another gear and moved out like it should. Anyone else find this to be the case?

I know exactly what you mean

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good god. Put it in sport and drop it down to third gear and SHEESH ITS A ROCKET...:naughty:
If I had the ability to drop it into third this thread wouldn't exist. How do you go about dropping it into third at will? No paddle shifters.

Maybe I drive too much and have too much time to nitpick.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Even doing so, I find the car a little underwhelming. However, this is just like any other car. There's a point where the throttle will cause the kickdown in the transmission. In my old '77 F-100, there was actual mechanical linkage between the throttle and the transmission that controlled this point in the throttle travel.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Only takes milliseconds for this so unlikely. More likely it's just the throttle by wire algorithm trying to save gas by not kicking down the gears low enough until you put the pedal near the end of its mechanical travel.
I agree.

The hesitation when "regular" flooring the car was strange at first, but it is somewhat predictable now after doing this a few times. Someone said it best a while ago in equating the sudden rush of power for this V6 to that of early 90's 4 cylinder turbo'd cars. As for punching the pedal down even further, I would have to try it myself to know, but it's already quite a wild beast as is. :naughty:

·
Chicago Honda
126 Posts
Op, I have noticed the lack of power but it's highly dependent on what speed I initiate the "flooring" at. For example, if I floor it anywhere between 55 and 70 it automatically drops a gear immediately and takes off like a rocket with tons of power. But if I floor it at anything above 75, then it's random whether or not it will drop the gear and apply power. Mostly at 75 or above it will just stay in that gear and give it all the power it has left which is good but not great at that speed.

This is also HIGHLY dependent on how loaded down the car is.....this thing loses tons of power if you have passengers and luggage...

I'll have to try your trick for pushing even harder but I can't see that being a real thing.....and don't wanna break something. I feel like normally when I floor it I push hard enough anyway because of the nature of what I'm about to do...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive got a 4cyl .LX with CVT first time I opened it up on the hYW I thought by mistake they gave me a 6cyl. When I got home I opened the hood to make sure it was a 4 cyl.
I couldn't believe the power of my new 2013 compared to my 2005 honda lx.

·
CITIUS::INFERIUS::FORTIUS
1,369 Posts