Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have experience flushing fluids? Namely the power steering and coolant? I'm looking to do these myself to save money on labor, but want to know if it's simple enough to warrant doing so.

I have a general idea on how to do them, but want to hear some input on y'all's experience.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Super easy....they are drain and fill procedures...not "flushing".

1) Power steering: You can search on this forum from member "Princess" who had a great write-up on how to change it using a 99 cent turkey baster. Basically, you use the turkey baster (tb) to take out most of the existing fluid in the reservoir, and add fresh Honda P/S fluid. Then turn your car on and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock a few times to circulate the fluid (or just drive for a day). Then repeat. After three or four times, the fluid you are taking out should be as clear as the new fluid. I used 2 bottles to do this. Advance Auto takes the old fluid.

2) Coolant: You can do it in 20 minutes with 1.3 gallons of Honda blue coolant and not spill a drop. You don't have to raise the car, and all you need are small pliers and a Phillips screwdriver (for the reserve tank). It is a drain and fill...remember to recycle the coolant- DO NOT DUMP IT.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Super easy....they are drain and fill procedures...not "flushing".

1) Power steering: You can search on this forum from member "Princess" who had a great write-up on how to change it using a 99 cent turkey baster. Basically, you use the turkey baster (tb) to take out most of the existing fluid in the reservoir, and add fresh Honda P/S fluid. Then turn your car on and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock a few times to circulate the fluid (or just drive for a day). Then repeat. After three or four times, the fluid you are taking out should be as clear as the new fluid. I used 2 bottles to do this. Advance Auto takes the old fluid.

2) Coolant: You can do it in 20 minutes with 1.3 gallons of Honda blue coolant and not spill a drop. You don't have to raise the car, and all you need are small pliers and a Phillips screwdriver (for the reserve tank). It is a drain and fill...remember to recycle the coolant- DO NOT DUMP IT.
Great advice - I'll look into it! Thanks!

·
Accordial
36 Posts
I'm really happy this thread was made. Went to get the first oil change since I got the car and they told me the power steering fluid needed to be changed, they tried to charge me $120. I declined, bought 2 bottles of the fluid for $10 and did it myself in a half hour:thumbsup:

Thank god I took a look at this thread before I had gone:thmsup:

Also, any info on how easy it is to replace brake fluid?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Power Steering fluid is VERY easy to replace. Just unhook the reservoir, grab a cup, tilt it and drain. Start the car, turn the wheel lock to lock then do that 3x until your fluid is squeaky clean. It took me like 10 minutes to do it LOL. There's a more detailed thread somewhere on this forum that used my method. Just search for it :)

Edit: Just found the thread for ya: http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76581

·
Banned
13,099 Posts

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
Some great links here...saving this page for this winter since I will hit 100k right around Christmas...Thanks guys!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Easiest way is to get yourself a fluid pump at Walmart or any auto part store.
For power steering, **** as much out from the reservoir then fill. Turn wheel lock to lock 7 times. Drive no more than a Half mile. Repeat 3 times. In forth fill make sure to get as much out as you can, then fill with fresh fluid. I do this once a summer. Some might say it doesn't get the fluid 100% clean, but the fluid also never gets dirty, and the fluid is always clear.

I use the same technique for brake fluid. Works for me. Brake fluid should only really be changed when putting on new brakes anyway. But I use this method to keep it worry free. Don't pay a dealership any $ when you can easily do it this way yourself.

Since all fluids basically cycle through the car, this method is the easiest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2000 Accord /im in the uk just got it last week it has a simple coathanger cooler for the power steering placed down well below the radiator it looks to me like to flush the old fluid out i will have to take off one of the rubber pipes to the cooler and drain it from there , also i noticed that the cooler pipe was sufering from rust we are talking cornflakes here ,anyway i got another cooler from the salvage yard = getting that out was a nightmare on elm street
im going to repipe it so its easier to get off the next time .

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I had to replace my coolant after a shop filled it with the green type.

I drained the radiator with the plug underneath the bumper.
Filled with distilled water.
Ran car with radiator drain plug open.
Carefully pour in water the same rate it drains.
Once water is draining and not coolant, turn off car and close plug.
Drain water from radiator and now fill with new coolant.
Run car again with drain plug open.
Carefully pour coolant in the same rate it drains.
Once coolant is draining and not water you are done.

It is very easy since the water is clear and the coolant is blue. I used less than 2 gallons coolant for this. Was a while ago so not sure exactly how much I needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts