Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 w/ Navi
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I currently own a 2010 Accord V6 & after I purchased it I realized the fog lights were out. I’m not a huge “car guy” I’m a young guy just starting to learn how to maintain and modify my own car.

Here’s what I know:
-The fog light housing is loose to the touch
-Neither fuse is blown (done through vision test)

So my question is:
Should I go ahead and purchase a bulb and try it out in each housing to see if it’ll work or should I go ahead and purchase entirely new housings for each side, replace it, and hope for the best?

Any advise is greatly appreciated
TIA

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Always make some effort to diagnose an issue before throwing parts at it. Or paying The Man to deal with it.

I would get an inexpensive multimeter (can get one for under $10 that would do the job and generally a good investment for future) and check if there is voltage in the wire. Unplug the plug behind the housing and try to get a voltage reading. Work your way up or down from there to see where the discontinuity is. If you test the lightbulb socket and there is voltage there, then you know it's the bulb. Wouldn't hurt to test the fuses either. You can do it without pulling them. Just go ahead and check all the fuses, it will take one minute. You never know what you find in somebody else's old car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the detailed instructions and diagram! Going to grab a multimeter soon hopefully this helps

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
The fact that the fog lights are loose would make me look at the wiring connection and the bulb(s). It may have been in an accident and never plugged back in or the bulbs are bad.

A meter will help, as it will tell you if there is power to the lights.

If these were installed probably, the fog lights will only come on when the headlights are on and only on low beam. They will also have a relay controlling the lights.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve been trying to test the foglight by going through the wheel well but I’m having issues taking off the fender liner. I haven’t been able to peel the fender liner back though. I think it’s because of whatever fastener is being used to hold on this mud flap thing. I’ve tried prying this off but that’s clearly not the way to take it off. Once again, any guidance/tips?
thanks in advance
5B64B85A-8C7F-44BD-87C8-5E7B13B8CE9B.jpeg

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
All those panels are held in by body clips, they are hard to get out with regular tools but there are some specialized tools that help get them out. Inverably you end up breaking some of them, you can buy universal clips on Amazon cheaply to replace them. Here are some links.

Link to Amazon replacements and tool

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all you’re the MVP for responding so fast to help me out. I’ve attached a picture of what the clip looks like from the other side. I can’t remove it no matter how hard I try to pry it. I also have a trim removal kit and pry bar that I’ve been using to remove the fasteners. I don’t really know what to ask to follow up because I’ve attacked a picture of either side of that fastener to see if you can offer any more advice

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
That fastener his a center pin, that center pin has to be pulled out first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was able to remove the old bulb and put it in a new bulb but the new bulb still didn’t work. I took both out and tested their continuity using a multimeter. According to the meter they both work so now I know the issue isn’t the bulb or the fuse. What does that leave ?

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Turn the fog lights on(make sure the low beam headlights are on), test for 12volts at the fog lights. Put the negative lead on the battery and probe both sides. Do you know if these are factory fog lights or aftermarket?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve already gone ahead and reattached the bumper and fender liner next chance I get I’ll try testing that out, thank you. This is a factory foglight assembly

·
Registered
369 Posts
Unfortunately, that leaves the wiring or the switch that turns them on. With your meter at a voltage setting that will handle 12V, (probably 20V DC), see if you have voltage at the bulb contacts in the sockets with the lights turned on. You will probably see that you have 0 volts. If BOTH lights don't work, a common cause is that the negative (ground) wire has become disconnected. Try to find it and check its connections, at both ends. You can also use the continuity function of your multimeter to see if you have continuity between the negative contact and a bare metal part of the car frame. If you have continuity, the ground is good.

If the grounding wire(s) are fine, then the problem is likely the switch, assuming you've checked the fuse with the continuity function of your multimeter and it checks good. I think you'll have to remove the switch to test it, and I can't help you there, because I'm not familiar with your car. You could also have a bad connection in the +12V line from the fuse panel to the switch, or in the +12V line from the switch to the light sockets.

- Jack

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Here is the instructions for installing the factory fog lights, it shows every connection and ground locations and fuses, be sure to check the passenger side fuse box and underhood fuse panels.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
And here is a video on how to get to the fog lights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts