Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an extra set of H11 Siverstar Ultra's laying around so decided to see if I could modify them to replace the H8's in the fog light housings. This ended up being easier than I expected. They fit perfectly with only a slight modification -- and the difference in brightness was well worth the small effort.

The H8 bulbs are 35 watts with an unimpressive 712 lumen rating. The H11s are 55 watts with a 1250 lumen rating. Initially I was concerned about the wattage difference possibly causing the wiring or the fixtures to over heat. So I did a very low-tech test of running the lights for 30 minutes and then feeling around the back of one of the fixtures for hot spots. It was warm, but by no means hot. I now feel comfortable running these as I don't believe they will cause any harm to the vehicle. However, I'm open to advice from people who know more about automotive lighting than I do.

Below are a few pics that illustrate the process. I'll try to keep it short & sweet.

Auto part Automotive lighting Wheel

The top tab on the H11 needs to be ground down to match the width of the H8. The plug ends are identical so no mods needed there.

Door handle

Use a crescent wrench to gauge the width of the top tab on the H8 bulb.

Wire Machine Tool

I used a vice with urethane jaw inserts to hold the H11 bulb. A Dremel with a small grind stone makes quick work of the tab alteration. Remove the rubber gasket to avoid damaging it, but remember to put it back on before installing the bulb!

Use the crescent wrench that you set earlier to confirm the width.

Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Lighting Transport

As usual the picture does not do it justice -- but you can tell that the H11 is quite a bit brighter.

·
2013 Accord V6-6MT
2,573 Posts
Two safety concerns with your increased fog lamp output:

1. When using the fog lamps in normal night driving (e.g., no fog), the increased light in the foreground causes your pupils to constrict, which limits your distance vision.

2. The increased glare from higher output fog lamps (particularly if not properly aimed) adversely impacts oncoming drivers' vision.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html

·
Banned
5,773 Posts
2. The increased glare from higher output fog lamps (particularly if not properly aimed) adversely impacts oncoming drivers' vision.
Except for these fog lights (sedan) and others due to optics. Many on here have tried HID kits which of course have light coming from a different point on the bulb/capsule and yet there is no glare. Not to mention the much higher lumen rating. So needless to say, the halogen mod the OP did will not cause glare.

The coupe is a different story and will cause glare.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
55W is the same as the low beam. My MDX fog is 51W stock and a huge improvement over the 35W Honda Fogs. Nice mod. My question is was the additional 20W socket warmer than the stock socket? If taking a road trip for 8 hours would it get hot enough to be an issue-some air cooling while in motion would help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can also perform a similar modification to a HIR bulb if you want to upgrade your high beams and stay with halogen.

http://hirheadlights.com/
Thanks for the info. I've been curious about the HIR bulbs for a while. I may try this mod soon.

55W is the same as the low beam. My MDX fog is 51W stock and a huge improvement over the 35W Honda Fogs. Nice mod. My question is was the additional 20W socket warmer than the stock socket? If taking a road trip for 8 hours would it get hot enough to be an issue-some air cooling while in motion would help.
Good question. I don't think there is a way to compare the two once the driver's side fog light is reassembled. As you well know, getting to the lamp on that side is a major operation. However I did compare the wiring to that on our Pilot, which uses H11 fogs. The wire gauge and connections appeared to be identical. I'll keep monitoring the connections and post an update in a few months.

Two safety concerns with your increased fog lamp output:

1. When using the fog lamps in normal night driving (e.g., no fog), the increased light in the foreground causes your pupils to constrict, which limits your distance vision.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html
The gospel of Daniel Stern. :notworthy Lots of good info there. This mod will not increase the light output to the point of being dangerous or obnoxious. In my opinion it just corrects a bad call by Honda and makes the fog lights more usable. There are also more bulb options for H11 than there are for H8.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can i ask what is the easiest way to replace ur fog bulb?

both from the wheel well? i've serach and read the air box gets in the way from driver side, how u overcome that?

thanks
It can be a little intimidating the first time you do it. After you learn how the things are put together and held in place it's easy breezy. The passenger side is no problem. There are a couple of plastic pop rivets directly below the fixture on the underside of the bumper that hold a little flap shut. Remove them and just reach up and grab it. The drivers side (where the air box obstruction is) is a little more complicated. I did it exactly as the manual states and loosened the screw that holds the trim piece in place, then removed the assembly. This requires raising the front end a little via ramps or jack stands so you can get under the car to see what you are doing.

I've heard of other people partially removing the front clip to get to them. I wasn't comfortable doing that for fear of breaking something.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you really want to improve what you see in fog dump the white and go to a yellow bulb. The yellow color may drive the people in front of you crazy as they can be seen in day light at a very long distance but they light the road better than any white light with out all the glare you get from a white light bulb.

I have run a set of piaa h8 plasma ion yellow in some add-on fog lights for years on my motorcycle. can't be beet when you turn a corner and run into fog. Not cheap but work well and get your 70 watts output rateing from a h8.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any updates? I plan to convert the H8 fog lamps to amber H11 lamps on my 13 LX. I am curious to see how things worked out for others before I pull the trigger on this mod.
I have had no issues at all. I put in a set of LEDs for a few days to match the HID low beams. They made the fogs absolutely useless. I switched back to the H11s and with will be ordering a set of yellow PIAAs soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.