Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Know this has been discussed many times but seems this is without a firm answer:

If someone wants to install footwell lighting and have it mimic map lights (ie. on with door open, lock/unlock, and button push), is the only way to tap the actual map light sockets?

If yes, what are we talking difficulty wise here - just not sure how to get the wires all the way to the map lights.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
47 Posts
since all the wiring harnesses meet at the fuse box, id imagine all you'd need to do is source a wiring diagram and trace the map lights down to the fuse box and tap the power source accordingly without the need to run all the way up to the map socket. You could also investigate the trigger switch on the door jamb that activates the map light and tap into that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
since all the wiring harnesses meet at the fuse box, id imagine all you'd need to do is source a wiring diagram and trace the map lights down to the fuse box and tap the power source accordingly without the need to run all the way up to the map socket. You could also investigate the trigger switch on the door jamb that activates the map light and tap into that.
I'm no expert but I'm under the impression that if I went with fuse box the lights would always be on as the map light wire is always hot. Also if I went with the door jamb, the footwell lights wouldn't turn on when I manually turn on the map lights.

Let me know if I'm wrong. I only want to do this mod if I can get it to follow maps 100%.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
*subscribed*

I want to do the same. I will have to look at the wiring diagram when I get a chance. But, I also want to wait for the 3/36 warranty to be up at the same time.

I looked at the instructions for the illuminated sill plates and they just "PLUG IN" to the fuse box. I bet the easiest way is to figure out how to tap into this circuit. Even better would be figuring out what kind of plug this is and source it on an electronics site if possible.

Jay

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm under the impression that tapping the circuit/fuse would lead to them being on constantly.

Anyone have any insight?

·
4,339 Posts
I'm under the impression that tapping the circuit/fuse would lead to them being on constantly.

Anyone have any insight?

If the door switch complets a ground, then yes, that would be the case. And, if that is the case then the floor lights would not come on when you turned on the overhead lights. I am thinking that you would have to tap 12+ from somewhere in the car, preferably the same fuse as the interior lights. Then run the ground to the ground circut that closes when the door is opened.

Jay

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't think I can answer the question but my DIY Interior Lights are tapped into the Parking Light fuse with an Add A Circuit, so they are automatically on when the parking lights are, and off when the parking lights are off.. I also added an EasyConnector so I can control when I want the lights to be on or off, even if the parking lights are on.

You can also view this thread on DIY Interior Lights

However, I did the same in a 2012 Accord and apparently the lights are constantly on if tapped into the parking lights, even if the car is off.

(If you buy things from PepBoys, google a coupon and you can easily save 20%.. or download the RetailMeNot app on a smartphone and present the mobile coupon from there.)

·
4,339 Posts
I don't think I can answer the question but my DIY Interior Lights are tapped into the Parking Light fuse with an Add A Circuit, so they are automatically on when the parking lights are, and off when the parking lights are off.. I also added an EasyConnector so I can control when I want the lights to be on or off, even if the parking lights are on.

You can also view this thread on DIY Interior Lights

However, I did the same in a 2012 Accord and apparently the lights are constantly on if tapped into the parking lights, even if the car is off.

(If you buy things from PepBoys, google a coupon and you can easily save 20%.. or download the RetailMeNot app on a smartphone and present the mobile coupon from there.)
To the OP. This is the link you want to follow to show how to wire the foot well lighting to work with the doors. Basically when the door opens, the switch completes the ground allowing 12V to flow.

Follow those directions but mount the LEDs in the footwell and you are good to go! :thmsup:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1040947&postcount=3

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
The map light fuse is in the fusebox located in the engine bay.

Yes it is constantly powered. It is normally triggered on by the door switch (completed ground) as mentioned above. You could just trace the map light wire down then tap directly into that.

Hint: It's a pink wire.

Since you want it to be triggered by the door, then you could really just tap into about anything for power and use the door switch (ground completion) to activate it as intended.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The map light fuse is in the fusebox located in the engine bay.

Yes it is constantly powered. It is normally triggered on by the door switch (completed ground) as mentioned above. You could just trace the map light wire down then tap directly into that.

Hint: It's a pink wire.

Since you want it to be triggered by the door, then you could really just tap into about anything for power and use the door switch (ground completion) to activate it as intended.
Sorry to keep on this one issue but as stated I want the footwells to come on when I manually push the map light. Would that occur in this scenario?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts