Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a rear wing spoiler installed and I noticed when I open the trunk it doesn't pop open like before. I'm wondering is this normal or did the dealership possibly forget to re-install some springs or something. I know the spoiler is heavy and places more weight on the trunk which would keep it from popping open like it did before. I guess what I need is to find out from those of you with spoilers how your trunk opens when you push the button..does it open up fully or just release and then you have to lift it yourself??

Sorry for rambling!

·
ready to go....
20,013 Posts
Ours opens a few inches then you lift it up. Which we like because the wind is much less likely to slam too far up! The draw back is I have to remember to open it by touching the plate....I HATE finger prints!!

·
O do u know the buffinman
4,560 Posts
You could check the springs and see if they still have color tags for your spoiler** Low-rise and Wing have diff color coded springs ** check install instructions in 04 cat.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=23

When I installed the spoiler on my 02 I did change the springs and it pops up about 6 inches. The original springs only opened deck lid about a inch without spoiler and wouldn't unlatch with spoiler...

Hope this helps
I1:)

·
ready to go....
20,013 Posts
Several years back we added the spoiler to the ol' '86. We couldn't get the one for the sedan & put one on for a coiupe or prelude..... it's springs were way more than our trunk needed & you sure knew it when you popped the trunk! The lid would fly all the way up!! SLAM!!:(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all so much for your replies. I never would have thought anything other than the spoiler was heavy, but I ran across something last night mentioning springs so thought I would ask you folks about it. I'm gonna check out those instructions and go look for those springs. Mine doesnt pop open at all now, before it lifter about half way or so by itself.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Can the spoiler springs be purchased alone? I should just put some spoiler springs on my trunk without a spoiler so it'll just fly open.

·
O do u know the buffinman
4,560 Posts

·
ready to go....
20,013 Posts
Heeheee heee LOL!!:D

·
'08CoupeI4 EX BelizeBlue
193 Posts
I have tackled the installation of the original Honda factory spoiler on my ’00 with the torsion springs provided in the kit. A nerve wrecking experience but rewarding. Since one has more time to rustproof freshly drilled holes and make sure the shavings do not end up trapped inside causing premature corrosion, it’s a job done well. To boot, it cost $300 less than what the dealer asked for. Anyways, the trunk opens only a few inches. I think it’s desirable considering the stress damage due to the counter- pressure it would exert if it flew past the designed stop point.
jag

·
Registered
12 Posts
spoiler springs

Hi Jag,
I've been toying with the idea of putting a spoiler on my new Accord - what part was nerve wracking? Was any of it difficult? were the springs difficult to change?

Thanks,

·
'08CoupeI4 EX BelizeBlue
193 Posts
Well…when one decides to drill holes in a brand spanking new vehicle (I had it for only 30 days then) all kinds of thoughts cross one’s mind. First, what if the bit slips and decides to travel across the lid? I took all kinds of precautions and taped the adjacent area with couple of layers of masking tape just in case. Then I scraped the paint right to the bare metal and even deeper to give the drill bit a firm start-an area of 1/8” only. I drilled at low RPMs and exerted minimum pressure possible as not to create a dent and crack the paint finish. Refrain from drinking beer a good couple of days prior to this event ;) The kit comes with a template so it's easier to do the lay out. The harness connects right into the same connector where the center back window brake light is connected. Unplug the existing light. When you drill the hole to feed the harness through the lid, tape a wad of cotton from the inside over the area you drilling to catch the metal shavings. It will prevent them from being trapped inside the lid and promote rust. Also take some time and paint the freshly drilled holes with Tremclad rust paint even though they supply a rubber grommet for it. I bought a special tool for the spring installation. It makes this job a snap but for the cost of the tool for one time use you may consider asking Honda to install the springs for you. It’s a 10 min job max. $10-$15?

Good luck,
jag
;)

·
'08CoupeI4 EX BelizeBlue
193 Posts
It cost me 15 bucks. Considering the convenience and safety issue, it was well worth it.

jag

·
Registered
1 Posts
04 Coupe

I just picked up my 04 Coupe EX 6 Speed and had the spoiler put on when I bought it. I don't think they put the heavier duty springs in because when you pop the trunk it doesn't move just clicks and you need to open it by hand. Also if you hold it anywhere but all the way open it slams shut, Dealers suck.

·
ready to go....
20,013 Posts
Mine HAS the heavy springs & when you "pop" the trunk it opens about 1-2 inches is all. Yes, you have to open it the rest of the way. Shutting is firm, but I don't slam it.

Welcome to the bunch here, rhard49. Hope you find the people & info useful here.:)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Re: 04 Coupe

rhard49 said:
I just picked up my 04 Coupe EX 6 Speed and had the spoiler put on when I bought it. I don't think they put the heavier duty springs in because when you pop the trunk it doesn't move just clicks and you need to open it by hand. Also if you hold it anywhere but all the way open it slams shut, Dealers suck.
Go back and ask them to install the springs. However I think they might have installed the springs on your car. My trunk has no spoiler and it doesn't always pop open, and it will always slam shut. It could be a latch alignment issue, sealing too good and doesn't want to open.

·
Registered
57 Posts
On my 05 I4 coupe with no spoiler the trunk just lifts enough to unlock it, if you looked at it you would think its closed. I'm installing a factory spoiler next week, I wiil let you know what change if any in the way it opens.

·
pro common sense!
7,084 Posts
tazcliff said:
On my 05 I4 coupe with no spoiler the trunk just lifts enough to unlock it, if you looked at it you would think its closed. I'm installing a factory spoiler next week, I wiil let you know what change if any in the way it opens.

same here on my 04 coupe. it pops, but doesn't open. i don't have a spoiler. i *think* it used to pop open a few inches, but ever since the repairs from my accident, it has never popped open like that. sometimes i even have to hit the button on my key twice..... :bawl:

moral of the story? not sure if it is supposed to pop open even without the spoiler. :dunno:

·
Registered
57 Posts
one more thing to add in reading the spoiler install directions there are 2 positions (notches)for the trunk springs if the 1st one it too weak try the second position.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts