Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 578 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to replace the 6 speakers (tweeters and front and rear speakers) while retaining both the stock subwoofer and the active noise cancellation? I'm not looking for a lot of bass so I don't need to add or replace the sub and I'd like to retain the ANC if possible to simplify the installation.

I'm wondering if its possible to choose speakers which have a specific ohm rating, and other specs (crossover points?), in order to pick something which would work out of the box and not interfere with the rest of the stock set up. I don't know anything about crossovers and how they are set up so excuse my ignorance if I've asked a silly question. I realize there are several threads on audio but most of those deal with disconnecting the ANC since the new speaker and/or amp conflicts with the stock set up. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
but even before doing that, since you have the Touring and I do too, I was able to improve by 100x the sound quality going in the developper menu and setting the DSP to Flat ON.

Steps:
Press Nav + Menu + Back 3 seconds
The 2 screens will display debug menus you should not have access normally
Press return on the touch screen one (you don't need it)
Press Menu for 3 seconds
You will be in the developer menu
Scroll down to DSP/AMP settings
Scroll to 'Flat' set it to 'On'
Enjoy!

Now you only have to press 'Return' a couple times and redo that procedure when you disconnect the battery of the car (it is not showing as saving the settings, but it does, so no need to repeat every time you start the char)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This guy went with focal speakers and said the ANC is not buzzing and sound quality is amazing

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=154601
Yes I read that post. The Sport has 4 speakers, no subwoofer. The touring has 7 speakers including a sub. The sub and its involvement in the ANC complicates things, at least that's my understanding. Consequently I don't see that thread as a solution. I would like to use Focal speakers if possible but thats another topic.

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
890 Posts
but even before doing that, since you have the Touring and I do too, I was able to improve by 100x the sound quality going in the developper menu and setting the DSP to Flat ON.

Steps:
Press Menu for 3 seconds
Enjoy!
The sound improved by that much after changing those settings?

Can you be more specific as to what the differences in sound quality are? More bass? Cleaner sound etc.?

I may consider doing this to mine too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sub is not used for ANC, only the 6 1/2s
I think the sub is involved, see below. Plus when people replace speakers and keep the sub aren't they getting unwelcome sounds coming out of the sub?

"Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) is designed to dramatically reduce low frequency noise in the interior. The system operates whenever the car is running, regardless of whether the audio system is on or off.
There are two microphones in the cabin area.
The microphones capture low-end drivetrain frequencies entering the cabin, and send a signal to the Active Noise Cancellation unit. The control unit then creates a precisely timed reverse phase audio signal that is sent to an amplifier, which powers the door speakers and the subwoofer positioned on the rear parcel shelf.
In the frequency range below 100 hertz, ANC results in an impressive 10 dB reduction in noise level.
Since the system is designed to cancel low-frequency sound, it doesn’t use any of the audio system's tweeters. The ANC dramatically reduces exterior noise. In the frequency range below 100 hertz, ANC results in an impressive 10 dB reduction in noise level."
http://www.honda.co.nz/technology/driving/anc/

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
well stop asking questions if you have answers to everything...

And if you can only read and understand to the first level of things, I'll translate "100x" for you -> "amazingly better"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well stop asking questions if you have answers to everything...

And if you can only read and understand to the first level of things, I'll translate "100x" for you -> "amazingly better"
I've done a lot of reading on this forum and elsewhere to see if a simple upgrade for the Touring model exists. I find this topic kind of confusing, consequently in searching for an answer I want to make sure, for the benefit of myself and everyone who reads this, that we're working from the same set of assumptions.

I did not ask about the DSP.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Steps:
Press Menu for 3 seconds
Enjoy!

Now you only have to press 'Return' a couple times and redo that procedure when you disconnect the battery of the car (it is not showing as saving the settings, but it does, so no need to repeat every time you start the char)
Thank you THANK YOU THANK YOU! 100x may have been an understatement! WOW!! Why did Honda deliver these cars with this setting turned off? The difference is amazing. Smoother highs, better, smoother bass where you can actually hear bass lines being played, FAR better separation and depth, articulation now sounds like it's being reproduced in a totally different system. This system went from one of the worst to one of the best. Saves hundreds of dollars on upgrades. Try it - you'll LOVE IT!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
On non navi you press: Power + Disp + Back instead of Nav + Menu + Back

No not for touring only

Update: non-nav + upper display, if the previous didn't work try with VOL + DISP + BACK, having the radio powered on

·
Registered
142 Posts
On non navi you press: Power + Menu + Back instead of Nav + Menu + Back

No not for touring only
Ok cool will give it a try. I didnt understand your previous post about the battery or starting the car. Will this setting stay saved or you have to do it everytime you start the car?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It saves, but if you return in the same menu after and go look at the setting, it will display 'Flat OFF' instead of 'Flat ON' but truly it is set to ON still.

The only moment you have to go back in there and redo the procedure if when the car battery has been disconnected, like an oil change at the dealer or any engine bay type of work that required the battery to be disconnected.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Is it that dramatic a change? From 1 change in settings? Would love better sound out of the system. Did it screw anything else up? I will try this, but am being cautious, i guess..
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The only way to screw things up is if you get interested by the other sub-menus in the 'developper menu'. I personnally trigerred an update that never ended and made my heart stops for a few beats when the whole electrical circuit of the car turned down abruptly. And I trigerred the alignment of my lanewatch camera which than failed because the aiming signed was not present. All later turn signal triggerred a big red screen saying 'AIMING FAILED'.

Luckily for me I wasn't the first to do it and someone on this forum created a thread on how to fix this.
I then printed the aiming pattern on a 8.5x11 sheet and stuck in on my garbage bin, which I placed at the proper aiming spot and boom it worked again ;P

Dramatic change : yes, from one chance in the settings... yup!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an exl-v6 non navi and i am having trouble getting into these menus, i am holding menu+back+power and nothing happens. I am pretty sure i am missing something, but i dont know what or why....

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
try Power + Disp + Back

and supposedly for other models 1 + 6 + disp + power does it, although I'm not sure how you would access the DSP/AMP menus since they do not have the upper screen display. Maybe it is added to the touch screen ones

update: EXL non-nav, someone used VOL + DISP + BACK, having the radio on and been able to access the menu

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yup this worked. Took me about 3 mins to figure it out. A lot of things to play with there. And yes the sound is dramatically improved. Now my rear deck rattle is even worse. sigh.

for those worried about doing this its the same steps to put it back. easy. Thanks for the idea Freak!

1 - 20 of 578 Posts