Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
541 - 560 of 585 Posts

· Registered
801 Posts
I finally got into the developer's menu. I actually had music playing from a flash drive at the time. I disabled the EQ settings and there was no difference in sound. I went back and enabled it, then disabled it, listening very intently to the music. No difference at all. The subwoofer level still does nothing. Here's a strange question; Why is there an Android logo next to the EQ settings? I have a funny feeling that the EQ setting isn't exactly what we might think it is. I'm pretty certain it has something to do with Android Auto.

· Registered
1,102 Posts
The whole touchscreen is run off a modified android OS.

The eq setting is a factory preset from Clarion, the oem of the actual stereo.

We noticed a reasonable difference on both of our cars. Not huge but enough. We definitely can hear and feel an appreciable difference in range on the subwoofer adjustment.

We listen to all music through our iPhones plugged in to the USB port.

Maybe it's the style of music you listen to?

· Registered
801 Posts
Okay, tried it again last night in my quiet garage. Engine off. Doors closed, windows rolled up. Several different kinds of music. Tried it several times.
Nope! Absolutely no difference at all. I have a pretty discerning ear, which is why I've spent a pretty penny on my home system. I tried one last time with the bass and treble set to flat (mid setting). Still no difference. It would be nice if a Honda (Clarion) engineer could pop up on here and state what that setting actually does. In my case, it changes nothing, or maybe it only works on certain sources or only on bluetooth, I don't know.

· Registered
450 Posts
I've tried it w/MP3 player through USB; Samsung phone through Android Auto; XM; USB drive; etc.
Like you found out and I did too...no difference. Settings are for something, but no clue what.
On top of that, settings do not stay set. Once you turn off car, they revert to default before you made changes.
YES, AGREE, Clarion/Honda Audio person, please jump in and tell us how to tweak this SUB-PAR, AWFUL audio system!!!!

· Registered
1,102 Posts
Of course I also don't have issues with the stock stereo. Maybe y'all are having unrelated issues?

It's not the best car audio system I've ever heard but it's a Honda and far better than the base stereo in the sport.

I'm comparing before and after using Apple play. I haven't used other sources.

· Registered
450 Posts
Of course I also don't have issues with the stock stereo. Maybe y'all are having unrelated issues?

It's not the best car audio system I've ever heard but it's a Honda and far better than the base stereo in the sport.

I'm comparing before and after using Apple play. I haven't used other sources.
So are you going back into the menu each time you start the car to make the changes?

· Registered
94 Posts
Dang... What's the point in doing this if it resets to default everytime the car is restarted?

Maybe I'll just skip all this and try the 'unplug the rear speakers' thing...

· Registered
389 Posts
I have a different perspective on audio. The factory upgraded system is one of the best I've ever heard. So hear me out...

I'm a big fan of "staging" and tonality. Basically, there's a response curve that people like or don't. But overall, when people hear something different, it's typically attributed to "better". There's a lot of science and white papers to help understand psychoacoustics and how our brains interpret sound. But basically, whatever is heard within 20ms of the initial sound, is averaged together by our brain. Beyond that time frame, your brain will ignore it. So anyways...everything in your car is within that time frame. We aren't hearing JUST the speakers. We're hearing the speakers PLUS the vehicle itself. So in order to gain staging and tonality you need to correct/counter the response of the speakers+vehicle. A well recorded stereo image will allow you to identify and locate where the singer, instruments, or other aspects. You lose that with poor response.

Why did you just read that? The ONLY way to "correct" your vehicle response is through equalization. There's some other tricks too, like time and phase alignment but our factory radios don't utilize anything like that. But it does use equalization. That's what you guys are turning off.

If you like it...that's great. No big deal. What do you lose with it off? You lose "up front bass". When your mids and subwoofer are properly level matched and play together, you'll NEVER KNOW you have a subwoofer in the vehicle due to how your brain perceives those wave lengths. BUT, you will get a nice bass line out of it. However, with it level matched, you perceive as loud as it actually plays. You also lose coherency since the midrange is all over the place. You won't notice that as much unless you have hearing damage. Those are the two biggest issues for me. And what do you gain?...well all cars are bass machines. Without the corrected sub levels you get more output, good or bad. You also get more distortion...Distortion interpreted by the brain = loud. So with more distortion you'll assume it's MUCH louder, whether it's the subwoofer or another driver. Distortion can also be painful. So really, sometimes you want distortion to keep you from playing the volume too loud(protecting your ears)

What happens when you have a finely tuned system? You won't know how loud it is until you have to scream at the person next to you :) You also won't know there's a subwoofer in the trunk or wherever you placed it. I've had many people believe I had a subwoofer in my engine bay until I physically displayed it in the trunk YET they still perceived it up front.

Alright, enough blabbing. I enjoyed the factory setup. It needs a few things but turning off the pre-measured EQ didn't do anything for me. For reference, here's what happens to speakers in a vehicle when left uncorrected...

If I get time there's a chance I'll start doing some car audio upgrades. In the mean time, feel free to PM any questions if you'd like

Attachments

· Registered
14 Posts
Well I tried the EQ trick on sport '17, nothing.

Why Honda is so cheap with sport model? 4 speakers in $25k car? LOL should have given test to speakers before buying it.

· Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know how to get into the Developer's Menu for a 2016 Accord Sport Dual Display? I've tried the Power button & Menu (on the display) and the Brightness Button (next to the CD eject Button) and no go. I'm trying to gain access to turn off the ANC but do not want to disconnect the actual mics in the car.
Greatly appreciated.

541 - 560 of 585 Posts