Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer I purchased my Accord from offers free oil changes AND inspections for life. Does anyone else have this same offer? I imagine they will pressure me to have the "15k service", "30k service", etc performed every time I go. What has your experience been?

Also, after 6000k almost all hwy driving, I'm only at 50% oil life. I was thinking of getting it changed before hitting the 15% oil life. I have to call to see if they will still do the free oil change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I had my Mazda3 the dealership offered the same thing. I was able to get 9 oil changes done approx. 45k miles before they said I was supposed to be getting all required maintenance for the deal to continue (i.e. 15k, 30k, 50k maintenance packages). I told them it wasn't worth it and then they told me it would be $50 per oil change after that. That's when I started going to Mavis for oil changes and tire rotations. I eventually sold the car at 50k miles for my 2012 Accord 6-6.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Somewhere in the purchase price you paid for the "free" oil change... My dad and I fell into this offer when he bought a used minivan (80k miles) 4 years ago, thinking we would save bunch of money. Lesson learned, F*^€ free lifetime oil changes lol.

But my dealership didn't offer any prepaid maint. (Would've declined anyway) Or "free" oil changes.

Assuming you change your oil, on average, every 10000 miles. And you keep your car to 120k, you'll change the oil 12 times. 12 x $30 = $360

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
139 Posts
Free oil change may not include the price of the filter, which they may up sell and get some money out of you. Then we have the $3 drain plug washer!!!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
When it comes to car dealers there is no free lunch. I am at my Honda dealer now to have my wife's Fit inspected to comply with a recall. Guess what, they checked the car and discovered the front brake pads were worn down just to the squeezing point. They are changing them now. The car has 50,000 miles and first set of pads. I didn't want to have to take time off from work again and stopping is more important than going so i am getting them changed now.

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
My dealer offered free lifetime power-train warrantee for life. Anything that touches oils. Im sure I paid for it somewhere as well.

·
HA-420
709 Posts
The dealer I purchased my Accord from offers free oil changes AND inspections for life. Does anyone else have this same offer? I imagine they will pressure me to have the "15k service", "30k service", etc performed every time I go. What has your experience been?

Also, after 6000k almost all hwy driving, I'm only at 50% oil life. I was thinking of getting it changed before hitting the 15% oil life. I have to call to see if they will still do the free oil change.
Don't change it early - take it to 15% at least - if takes all year then Go You!

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
My partner has a Fusion, and his dealer offered free oil changes. They also offer the ability to add all cars in your household for $150. I added my last car, but their customer service stinks so I won't add this one. I know he didn't get screwed, he got the Ford Partner price plus the internet price on his 6 year/125k warranty (I told him that's the only way be was buying a Ford, with a LONG warranty lol).

My dealer gave me a $100 gift card as part of my deal, and my first oil change is free. I'm at 4829 miles and 40%, just waiting for the light to come on at 15%.

·
Registered
77 Posts
"Free Oil Change for Life" is very common as a deal closer at many dealerships.....and as an earlier poster stated....it is built in to the price you are paying.

Or; it could be something that other dealers are known for in your area....and your dealer feels that he has to offer it as well.

Again; like was stated earlier.....many times the dealer will try and sell you on other maintenance items when your car is in there. If it's in their shop they at least have some chance of that. If they allow you to take it elsewhere.....the other guy gets that advantage.

It's all a game; really.....

They got you to buy the car.....and they got you to bring it back to them for service.....so; at the end of their day, they are patting themselves on the shoulder....thinking that they must be doing something right.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
"Free Oil Change for Life" is very common as a deal closer at many dealerships.....and as an earlier poster stated....it is built in to the price you are paying.

Or; it could be something that other dealers are known for in your area....and your dealer feels that he has to offer it as well.

Again; like was stated earlier.....many times the dealer will try and sell you on other maintenance items when your car is in there. If it's in their shop they at least have some chance of that. If they allow you to take it elsewhere.....the other guy gets that advantage.

It's all a game; really.....

They got you to buy the car.....and they got you to bring it back to them for service.....so; at the end of their day, they are patting themselves on the shoulder....thinking that they must be doing something right.
Yup, the service department is a dealership's profit center.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
If you do the math it's not that big of a deal. If you drive 10,000 to 12,000 mile a year that averages a little over one oil change a year assuming the 15% shows up around 8,000 miles. Most people don't keep their cars more than five years so at $40 an oil change that's only $240 for six oil changes. If you really drove a lot and you had two oil changes a year it's still less than $500. The $40 is the price my dealer quoted me for an oil change with filter and oil plug washer for my 2013 Accord including a hand car wash.

I always have the dealer change my oil on all my cars for three reasons. Honda has a record of my maintenance which has come in handy if I needed them to cover something that failed after the warrantee has expired. The dealer and the quick oil change places charge about the same amount of money and my dealer gets it done in 45 minutes. They do an inspection which replaces the checks that Honda recommends at various milage which are extra cost maintenance.

I have always found my dealer's prices to be inline with the good independent shops that I have used in the past and I am assured of them using genuine Honda parts. The bottom line is if you drive the car 15 years you will come out ahead.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Best Deal I ever got was a Free Maint. deal. I paid 1200 bucks Canadian at time of purchase, and I had free maintenance on the car for 4 yrs. Oil changes, filters, brakes AND rotors, free wipers every year, all regular maintenance taken care of...EVERYTHING. All I did was put gas in it for 4yrs. Keep in mind I'm in Canada. 1 Oil change at the dealer here is close on $70.

Sadly, can't get it anymore.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Best Deal I ever got was a Free Maint. deal. I paid 1200 bucks Canadian at time of purchase, and I had free maintenance on the car for 4 yrs. Oil changes, filters, brakes AND rotors, free wipers every year, all regular maintenance taken care of...EVERYTHING. All I did was put gas in it for 4yrs. Keep in mind I'm in Canada. 1 Oil change at the dealer here is close on $70.

Sadly, can't get it anymore.
I prefer changing myself and pretty sure that on my 2007 Accord with 168,000 miles that I have not spent 1,200 on maint. total. Original front pads and rotors still. Maybe $50 in wipers and fluid. 20 oil changes at $25 a pop for $500 (full synthetic oil). Replaced rear pads for $40 - only because the e- brake stuck after hitting a rock and wore out one side.

I love that the Accord is so cheap and easy to maintain, and I prefer doing all the work myself so I know what is going on under the car. My costs would probably double if I was paying for all the labor, but would still be under $1,200.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I prefer changing myself and pretty sure that on my 2007 Accord with 168,000 miles that I have not spent 1,200 on maint. total. Original front pads and rotors still. Maybe $50 in wipers and fluid. 20 oil changes at $25 a pop for $500 (full synthetic oil). Replaced rear pads for $40 - only because the e- brake stuck after hitting a rock and wore out one side.

I love that the Accord is so cheap and easy to maintain, and I prefer doing all the work myself so I know what is going on under the car. My costs would probably double if I was paying for all the labor, but would still be under $1,200.
No question that doing it yourself is cheaper because you are supplying the labor. One problem is disposing of the old filter and oil properly. I personally am not very good at mechanical work and I hate getting dirty.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
No question that doing it yourself is cheaper because you are supplying the labor. One problem is disposing of the old filter and oil properly. I personally am not very good at mechanical work and I hate getting dirty.
NY law states that if you sell oil you must accept it for recycling.

Jay

·
Registered
916 Posts
Oil change shops here are happy to accept it as they sell it to recyclers. That is the worst part of the DIY - taking it over for disposal. I enjoy the rest of it.

8,800 miles on my '13 still at 20%. I was going to wait until 0% but I need to get it done before it gets too cold. Winter is pretty serious in South Dakota - Had 3' of snow last week in Rapid City and nearly 5' in the mountains.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My dealer does free brake pads for life, so I think it's a similar kind of incentive program. I would just stick to the maintenance schedule and get it done at 15%. These cars are designed to tell you when to take care of them, just listen to your car ;)

·
Registered
209 Posts
my first one was on the house. Its like getting a "free" phone when you sign a contract lol. your gonna pay for it at some point.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts