Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My story begins with my gf looking on the AZ forum I'm on at some pics of an amp'd emblem. YUCK, she said...

BOY did that change once she saw them in person and installed. Much like with the accord, I started with the rear (indeed!) and eventually once Amp'd did a little R&D and made the front, I bought that too. Ever since then, she has been asking me if he made it for the accord.

Well, as luck would have it, he sure does...the back at least, so we started with that. I'll likely post this link in that thread...but yeah, she TOTALLY loved it. TOTALLY! Now, it looks like Amp'd decided to give the front emblem a whirl. And so we begin the DIY.

HERE WE GO, START WITH THIS, pry off the old emblem. I had it easy as I had given "modding her front emblem" a shot a few months ago and had done it the easy way and just broken the two clips. IF YOU WANT TO DO THE TRADE IN PROGRAM WITH AMP'D DO NOT BREAK THESE LITTLE TABS. If you are just buying it outright, go ahead and take it off easily. I used a small flathead screwdriver and fishing line. OBVI this happened months ago so no picture.
Here's where we start then:

After that, first thing is work with a clean environment, so clean it all off.

This guy must have OCD because he includes EVERYTHING. I mean EVERYTHING you need for a safe, clean and easy install...Awesome when dealing with something so delicate and expensive!

He even includes a template for drilling the hole to run the wires. If you're nervous about this, take a quick shot of Jager and remember, you will NEVER see this hole, EVER.

Bam, put a hole in her...GIT ER DONE!

Now to mount the emblem, check out these warnings. If you mess anything up you should probably NOT attempt any word puzzles or sudoku because your head may explode

Now feed the wires through

Ok, now here, you can choose to run them UP and remove the top panel by the hood latch, or down. DOWN is MUCH Easier IMO...so I went that route. Pulled thru for now.
Next I moved the coolant overflow reservoir out of the way...

Then ran a hanger down (used this one to run MANY a power wire for amps)

And here she is down below

...taped up the two wire leads to it to pull up.

Ok, pull up and now pull OUT the parking light bulb. It should be VERY easy to get to at this point. Take a razor or scissors and cut BACK the black wire protection. Just enough to get at the wires with the TTaps.

If you don't know how to use t taps...I'm a little scared that you're this far into the install at this point. They slide onto the stock wire and then you insert the wire you are tapping in with into the portion closest to the hinge of it, then take pliers and push down the metal tab. Make sure both wires are in place before pushing down. If you screw up you can redo it.
LUCKILY for me I remembered that for the parking lights where the turn signal also runs off of it there are 3 wires rather than two. Black to black obviously. Red goes to the gray wire...if you put it on the green your AMP'D emblem will only light up when you use your turn signal.
Because this area is tucked behind the headlight etc and not in the engine bay, no need to tape up or do any extra protection.

Now tiewrap excess wires...and remember that you have this mod if you remove your bumper for any other mods in the future!
Look, nothing to see here at all!
Reservoir back, muy importante!

And we are done. Now onto some gratuitous pics...I'll have to snap some better ones at night. These are the EXTREME LED's which seem a LOT brighter than the original ones. LOVE IT!
Enjoy!

He even includes a friggin badass wipey you can use to clean ALL your chrome trim. I mean, he thinks of everything! Hope you all enjoy...if you're local, hope to see you all at some meets. This mod gets a LOT of attention from people because it is not IN YOUR FACE but it looks stock and looks like it should be there! Definitely sets the car apart. AND the best part, during the day it looks totally stock!

Obviously, you can wire this thing up to whatever light source you want. I had the back tied into the parking bulb so that made the most sense to me.

AND HERE IT IS, the piece de resistance

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry mods, posted twice when tried to edit that pic on the right to be in correct place...please delete this one!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I really wish I didn't click on this thread. I'm broke and on the amp'd website getting ready to make a purchase.:lmao:

Nice write up! Very helpful and enjoyable to read. :thmsup:

Can you get some night shots up?

·
Generation 9
565 Posts
I totally love this mod...Where did you get the emblem? How do they make it glow from behind? Is the emblem raised slightly to allow the emittance of light? I gotta do this one...Never worked with wiring before so not sure if it is doable by myself...Even so a shop could do it..How long it take you?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I really wish I didn't click on this thread. I'm broke and on the amp'd website getting ready to make a purchase.:lmao:

Nice write up! Very helpful and enjoyable to read. :thmsup:

Can you get some night shots up?
John....that is one of the best replies I have read! Thanks!!!

Rockstar...thanks for the kind words. I'm glad your girlfriend likes her purchase. She is lucky to have a good installer too. Can't wait to see the pics at night.

Thanks for your purchase!

Amp'd

·
Registered
113 Posts
By the way Rockstar.....very nice writeup. Very helpful. I think I might use some of the tips in my instructions......if you don't mind!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By all means! Go for it.
I didn't make this myself...I purchased from Amp'd...a vendor on here!

As for night pics...gotta wait for NIGHT guys! I just did this now!

And John, yeah man...very nice compliment. LOVE this mod...I really do!

·
Generation 9
565 Posts
Just checked the site and really like it..Did you use the Extemes in your install? The website pics look fantastic so I assume they are lit with Extreme bulbs for the best shots. I noticed an on/off device so wondering about being street legal in NY. Anyone have any info on that? Can it be done without issue? Really like the effect and wantin this. Mention 08, 09, and 10, so wondering if "11" Sedan emblems fit this too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I like it and may do it....I would put both/either on a toggle as there are some functions I go to that it would be deemed too much a boy racer mod - much like undercarrage LEDs...
I have 4 simple pushbuttons wth a rubber boot cover, that I will give away for free if anyone is interested (if you want one and don't buy an Amp'd Emblem® product, you will have to pay for shipping). I bought these before we came up with the keyless remote type of switch. I have the Extreme blue on the rear of my car, and have the remote installed, so if I want to turn it off....I do...and then I can turn it right back on.

Thanks for the post Glen.

Ampd

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah man, doesn't get much better than that. Down here in Florida, there aren't too many issues with stuff like this, plus, I went white and not red or blue...so didn't worry about it. The off switch would be perfect if you are concerned!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are some night shots, as promised!
Took MANY different pictures with different tones/colors/exposures to give you an idea of what you're workin with. GREAT MOD...So happy!

AND MY PERSONAL FAV...these are EXTREME WHITE LED's btw...the bluish hue is the picture.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Great Pictures.

I love this one too....

Another favorite of mine....

So...Rockstar....does she like it??

And would you say the pics represent the view from your naked eye?

And lastly.....I would say there is no worry about the Extreme being too bright on the front...would you agree or disagree?

Thanks for the posts!

Ampd

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Honestly, I think OTHER than the bluish hue the camera gives off, it is a perfect representation. Not overdone, but not too understated.

I WILL say this, and this is my recommendation to all interested...for the rear, the normal LED's are fine...they are bright and you can see it on the car. For the front, since they are competing with 2 sets of HID's...if you don't get extreme, it can almost look like the emblem is just reflecting the HID lighting from your headlights. WITH the EXTREMES, I honestly think it's bright enough to stand out on it's own so even with your lights on, you can still SEE the emblem lit up.

Absolute genius and as I said, amazing packaging and thoughfulness on everything included for install. Nothing drives me nuts more than getting something, then instructions saying "not included" and I have to drive to autozone for something stupid. Amp'd thinks of everything...I wouldn't be surprised if he starts including some TP in case you have to shit while installing!

Ok...he won't do that, but you get my point!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
REAR shot, for comparison! And yes, as you can see by her license plate, she doesn't like it, she LOVES IT!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Honestly, I think OTHER than the bluish hue the camera gives off, it is a perfect representation. Not overdone, but not too understated.

I WILL say this, and this is my recommendation to all interested...for the rear, the normal LED's are fine...they are bright and you can see it on the car. For the front, since they are competing with 2 sets of HID's...if you don't get extreme, it can almost look like the emblem is just reflecting the HID lighting from your headlights. WITH the EXTREMES, I honestly think it's bright enough to stand out on it's own so even with your lights on, you can still SEE the emblem lit up.

Absolute genius and as I said, amazing packaging and thoughfulness on everything included for install. Nothing drives me nuts more than getting something, then instructions saying "not included" and I have to drive to autozone for something stupid. Amp'd thinks of everything...I wouldn't be surprised if he starts including some TP in case you have to shit while installing!

Ok...he won't do that, but you get my point!
Damn....I knew I forgot to include something!! :D

I agree 100% with the front competing with the HID headlights. That is why for me......I like the other colors too. That way you can see the difference between the lights and the Amp'd Emblem®.

This brings me to the "legality" question I get a lot. I have a hard time, believing that this...could be something....that could get you a ticket...on it's own. " Im just sayin' "

:thmsup:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts