Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked about this in another forum I belong to,but there are probably more experts here. I hit a racoon Christmas night and it tore a hole in my bumper covers.Everyone is saying call the insurance company. but I have a $500 deductible,and I don't need them raising my rates over this. I have priced some aftermarket covers and they don't seem too bad. Is this a project a relative novice could do himself.I am thinking about it. I have wanted to be more hands on,and am just wondering if I should try repairing it myself. Any advice is appreciated.Thanks!

Attachments

·
2004 Accord EX Sedan 5AT
16 Posts
had the same thing happen to me, but hit a bird early morning. I was looking into an oem or aftermarket cover, found out that aftermarket bumper when manufactured will use some sort of mold release (lubricant)and actually will keep the paint from adhere after a few years. If you go that route ask or writen guarantee. The bumper removal was easy. Since my cover had all the pieces, i found a service that actually expoxied the pieces together for about 150 with Honda paint code. I would suggest looking for an OEM at the dealership, craiglist or salvage yard.
good luck

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
You can find a new bumper cover (made in some foreign country) for under $150 if you look.

The process to change it is very easy. You won't believe how quickly you can remove a bumper cover. I had never done it before and it took me and a buddy about 20 minutes to remove the old one and another 20 to put on the new one. And we are not speed demons. A flat head screw driver, a 10mm nut driver, jack stands to raise the front a few inches, and an old blanket to keep from scratching the new bumper cover is all you need.

If you can find one used from a bone yard in your color- even better.

RIP Christmas Raccoon....RIP

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
I would not report it, since a new OEM bumper is about $205 + shipping. Labor should be about 3 hours @ $50, and paint material should be 3 hours @ $24-32 per hour

See if your local dealer will match online pricing.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
You can go to a bone yard, buy one pre-painted on eBay (about $180) look at Craigslist, etc....you live in New Jersey and there were quite a few 7th Gen's "totaled" by insurance companies after Hurricane Sandy- so they should be plentiful.

Get a friend to help- not because the bumper cover is heavy (it is VERY light- made of plastic and vinyl) but because it is large, and that thing will be flopping around if this is your first time doing it.

You will spend most of your time gently removing the 20 plastic fasteners with a small flat head screwdriver than you will doing anything else. There are probably 10 of them on top (when you lift your engine hood and look for them, you will see them) and 10 on the bottom (they connect to your "splash shield"). The first few ones I broke because I was being stupid (surprise!)- but just take your time and GENTLY remove them so that you can re-use them.

If you break too many, you can go to the dealership/stealership and pay about $5 each, or you can order from one of those fastener supply houses and get a bag of 20 for like $10 plus shipping, or order on eBay and get them directly from China for $8 INCLUDING shipping- but it will take 3 weeks. By the way, plastic fasteners are ALL pretty much made in Asia now-a-days.

This is easy- it is a bumper cover- not a bumper. No metal, no welding, no sparks flying, just plug-n-play.

EDIT: A few years ago I owned part of a trucking company (side investment) and they were HQ'd with an auto body shop. People freak out about bumper covers (and brake jobs) because they think it is a safety issue. They would buy used bumpers, paint them (dry overnight), and have it installed and charge people $550. They KNOW what your deductable is, and even though they charge you 10% more- you feel good that your insurance never finds out.

BTW- they would get used bumper covers for about $65....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the advice. I am gaining confidence in this project. I am going to wait until March or April, if I can. It would be my luck to replace the cover and then later that week slide into someone on the ice and wreck it again. What really kills me is for years I drove junky cars and never damaged them.I've been driving on this road for 15 years. This car I have had less than 2 months. SMH.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Don't report it. You can fix this fairly easily. The perks I suppose of today's plastic cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts