Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, it have been upgrading my cars audio. (2014 exl v6 non navi). I need a bit of assistance from the others that have replaced the speakers in the doors. I will be amping them and want to pull new wire into the door. If you have done this, were you able to route the wire around the molex plug? The way I see it i will have 3 sets going into the door - original wire to amp and high and low from x over. I would like to leave the crossovers in the car for adjustment purposes. Any hints as to how I can route the wire around the molex. Is it even possible. Tips and tricks please! Thanks for the help. By the way, I am using polk DXI6501 components.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump!

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
I did not run new wire to the front doors as it's way to much of a headache. I ran the wires for my front speaker wires @ the I-MID back to my amp setup as my input, then ran wires all the way back to the front behind the I-MID for my output and connected those to the OEM speaker wires. I did run larger gauge wire post amp for all 4 main speakers to make sure they were able to carry enough electrical current.

·
Thunder Up!
2,559 Posts
Can you take a pic of the molex? I'm not near mine so I can't look, but sometimes there is room to drill out the plug and feed wires through. That's what most do

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a feeling you would say drill it. I am trying to avoid that!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RJ I think that is probably what I will do. I have the premium stereo so I will go post factory amp and back.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Gents, it have been upgrading my cars audio. (2014 exl v6 non navi). I need a bit of assistance from the others that have replaced the speakers in the doors. I will be amping them and want to pull new wire into the door. If you have done this, were you able to route the wire around the molex plug? The way I see it i will have 3 sets going into the door - original wire to amp and high and low from x over. I would like to leave the crossovers in the car for adjustment purposes. Any hints as to how I can route the wire around the molex. Is it even possible. Tips and tricks please! Thanks for the help. By the way, I am using polk DXI6501 components.
Read this how to on the door lights. I think the way he did the wire will help you get to your goal. Further in the same thread he answers some questions that were asked about his methods.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1697914&postcount=81

Jay

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys! By the way, I have been looking around, does anybody have info on how to access the factory amp? I may go that route. I was looking for it but can't see it. I know it is the premium system. Is it under the glovebox? Do I have to drop the glovebox or remove it completely?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I see where it is but his the hell do I get to it? I want to tap into the wires. I can cut and splice but first I need to be able yo get in front of it

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just caught a glimpse of the molex and it seems like there is an empty space that I can run wires. Can anyone verify? I can barely fit my hand up there to check.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gents, just wanted to let you all know that the wire can be fished through the rubber boot without a problem. Jay, thank you for the link. That worked perfectly. I was able to get 3 pairs of 16ga wire in each. Well, I have only done the passenger side but I'm sure the driver side will be the same.

·
Even My Mower Is a Honda!
4,339 Posts
Gents, just wanted to let you all know that the wire can be fished through the rubber boot without a problem. Jay, thank you for the link. That worked perfectly. I was able to get 3 pairs of 16ga wire in each. Well, I have only done the passenger side but I'm sure the driver side will be the same.
:thmsup:

Jay

·
Registered
923 Posts
Can anyone tell me what to do with the cross over wires in the top of the door if you are not going to use them? How does one defeat that cross over? I am just using 2 ways in the door and have no reason to keep the tweeter at the top of the front door.

Is disconnection from the tweeters enough? Do I wire those together? Do I need to splice them into the wires going to the door? Not sure how to stop that signal and get it to the door.

Thank you for any help in this.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'd help you if I knew how it was wired. A wiring diagram.
I am not in there yet, but I assume there are a + and - on the tweeter on the top of the door which I assume is somehow crossed over from factory OEM.

Then I assume a + and a - for the lower mid range factory OEM speaker in the door?

I am just putting one speaker in the lower door. So do I just disconnect the tweeter and tape it off and install my two way in the lower door on the + and -?

Or do I need to splice the OEM factory tweeter wires into the OEM mid range + and - wires in the lower part of the door to allow the new two ways to work and handle the crossover on their own?

This is a coupe with factory OEM speakers and I want to just run two ways in the doors instead of the tweeters on the top sail panel and the mid range in the door.

I guess I am asking how the OEM crossover is handled in the front doors of a EX coupe 6 speaker OEM setup and how do I get the tweeter in my new two ways to pick up the signal from the OEM tweeter wires?

Am I just over thinking this and it is not a traditional or physical electronic crossover from the factory, and is just using the settings from the treble and base setting of the radio?

Sorry for the thread jack, but any help would be very much appreciated and maybe help someone else out?

·
Registered
923 Posts
So in my search to help myself here can anyone say this is correcrt info for a 2013 EX Coupe concerning the Tweeter and Mid in the doors?

pm179 has it right.

"Regular EX has tweeters connected directly to door woofers so share color and wiring."

TIA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts