Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working with the dealership trying to diagnose an issue that I have been having with my 2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0.

Some quick background, I picked up the car with 1000 miles on it used. The first 500 miles were okay as I was getting used to the car.

After this time, I started hearing a clunking sound when going over uneven road bumps and even turning into drive ways from the street, and can easily be replicated when going over speed bumps. It sounds like metal on metal clanking.

So far the dealership has replaced the bump stop that is on the front strut, as well as the front strut entirely. I'm not sure if this included the coil spring. They also replaced some bushings in the area (I have the wording from the tech on the repair sheet that the dealership gave me, I will add more verbiage from that and/or to this point)

The service advisor basically explained that its a mystery at this point because the technicians who worked on the car don't know how to fix it.

Has anyone experienced anything similar and if so possibly a fix?

Thanks again

J

·
Registered
11 Posts
Clunking noises when driving over bumps can be caused by a number of things. If the vehicle only had 1000 miles on it, then it makes me wonder if that was the reason why the previous owner got rid of the car. First, did you by any chance check to see if the vehicle was involved in an accident? That may be a clue to the reason for the noise.

The techs should be capable of locating the source of the noise especially if they can replicate it. Based on my experience, possible sources of the noise may include but not limited to the stabilizer bar end links, lower control arm inner bushings, engine/transmission mounts, front subframe mounting, exhaust system making contact, strut mounting, ball joint, or tie rod.

Good luck. Please keep us posted if they find it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Clunking noises when driving over bumps can be caused by a number of things. If the vehicle only had 1000 miles on it, then it makes me wonder if that was the reason why the previous owner got rid of the car. First, did you by any chance check to see if the vehicle was involved in an accident? That may be a clue to the reason for the noise.

The techs should be capable of locating the source of the noise especially if they can replicate it. Based on my experience, possible sources of the noise may include but not limited to the stabilizer bar end links, lower control arm inner bushings, engine/transmission mounts, front subframe mounting, exhaust system making contact, strut mounting, ball joint, or tie rod.

Good luck. Please keep us posted if they find it.
I was thinking this too, the first owner may have dumped it for that reason. Or worse, the car was a service loaner and some pissed off customer take it off roading. Hope it works out. It's kind of bizarre that tech can replicate it and the answer is "we don't know".

Reactions: jbarth09

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The story I got from the dealership from this car is it was a rental that the dealership provided. This was evidenced to the insurance copies and rental agreements I found in the glove box. Some rules that after 90 days and/or 1000 miles they can sell it.

I have another appointment next week to bring it in so they can continue diagnosing it. Idk.

This is my first Honda and so far my experience has been sitting in dealerships and clunking noises.

I was thinking this too, the first owner may have dumped it for that reason. Or worse, the car was a service loaner and some pissed off customer take it off roading. Hope it works out. It's kind of bizarre that tech can replicate it and the answer is "we don't know".
it was a service loaner. I did ask this very question. The wheels were in perfect condition and the inside was in perfect shape. But I don’t want to discredit this opinion. It’s possible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I get a hollow sounding clunk or pop from what I believe is the right front suspension when I go over a sharp speed bump. Once it happens, there is no clunk on the next speed bump. This only happens on abrupt speed bumps and does not seem to have any effect in normal driving. It has never happened on the left side.

I believe that it is the strut itself and not another component.

I doubt that I could replicate the noise at the dealer, although I may try at my next oil change.

I bought my Accord EX-L 1.5T brand new with 116 miles on it, so I do not believe that the car was abused or damaged.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T - San Marino Red
4 Posts
Definitely interested in what you find out. Mine doesn’t clunk when going over bumps, but does make what I can best describe as a binding noise when turning the wheel fully either way. It’s at its worst when first pulling out on the first turn but does settle afterwards. I’ll be having my dealer check it at my first service appointment. Only have about 3100 miles on mine.

·
More cars, more problems
237 Posts
I started hearing a clunking sound when going over uneven road bumps and even turning into drive ways from the street, and can easily be replicated when going over speed bumps. It sounds like metal on metal clanking.
I would gravitate towards end links or the swaybar mounts being loose and rattling around. I would think that the dealer would've ruled that out before replacing the whole strut since it'd be an easy fix, though 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

Here is the verbiage from Honda. Just took a picture as it was long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T - San Marino Red
4 Posts
I’d be weary about the claim of the battery tie down and transmission mounts being loose. 😅

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree the battery tie down and transmission mounts being loose suggests the vehicle has some history behind it. I'm sorry this is your first experience at owning a Honda. I can tell you it is not representative of the brand at all. The vehicle must have had some extensive work done for some reason. Unfortunately everything is packaged tightly so it's difficult to get to anything in the engine bay. The tech needs to be persistent and methodical in order to pinpoint the source of the noise.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had that happen on my 17 LX, it turns out it was a broken weld on the frame in the fender, the dealer had to bring it to the body shop department to repair it but not before they replaced the strut and sway link. They put in a monro quick strut, its way more noisy brand new than the 50k OEM on the other side. Oh well. Good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You may check the chassis for any broken part or any signs of welding after a possible accident. As others mentioned, I think the car was somehow abused based on the written indications in the diagnosis report. It's the only possibility left here, since the car is almost new, and no way 1000 miles would harm or wear anything. My car had almost 80,000 km and I never experienced this issue, even though I did swap the OEM suspension parts, (Coilovers, Stabilizer bar, Control Arms), to aftermarket ones and luckily this issue has never occurred.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quick update:

Just got the car back. They are stating now that the lower control arm is what is causing the sound. They ordered parts and they will be here Friday. So another trip to the dealership is in order

Did some asking about history. Turns out there was an entry prior to me buying the car described as

“Tree fell on car”

I’m guessing it was minor damage because the cars body panels are pretty well aligned. It was one of the things I inspected closely as other cars on the lot had some issues in that area. Also the wheels were in perfect shape. However, They could have easily been replaced.

I have an inquiry into the service advisor to speak to the technicians listed on that entry to get the full details.

Really not thrilled about hearing about that. Will most likely be my last Honda. Just not a great ownership experience so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
"Battery leaking acid. Recommend replace strut assembly." Okay.

Not to blame the victim, and not to deny the honda quality taking a nosedive over the past decades, OP is driving a service loaner. That is not a good representative of a new car experience. It's a loaner. People drive loaners like they loaned them. Sometimes a tree falls on them. Again, that does not detract from a car's utility as a mode of transportation, it is still not fair to reflect an experience with a service loaner to an entire brand.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Battery leaking acid. Recommend replace strut assembly." Okay.

Not to blame the victim, and not to deny the honda quality taking a nosedive over the past decades, OP is driving a service loaner. That is not a good representative of a new car experience. It's a loaner. People drive loaners like they loaned them. Sometimes a tree falls on them. Again, that does not detract from a car's utility as a mode of transportation, it is still not fair to reflect an experience with a service loaner to an entire brand.
I had to laugh at the battery leaking acid and than strut replacement commenet as well. I did inspect the battery. I didn't find any battery acid. I think most of my frustration is coming from the amount of time at the dealer so far after just barely cresting 3k miles. The car was sold CPO. So even though it was a service loaner, I believe Honda should have done their due diligence to inspect and verify the status of the car before putting it for sale. Or perhaps the dealership should have done. Perhaps the dealership is more at fault than Honda.

Also. I would tend to disagree with it being a service loaner and getting beat up. People basically put up their own insurance against these cars evidenced by the insurance cards I found in the glove box from other people. I hope that the majority of people would drive it responsibly. At least I do when I'm provided one. I'm also pretty meticulous about the inside and outside. Still had brand new smell. No crazy stains or smells. And even though it was a service loaner, I believe Honda should have done their due diligence since it was sold Certified Pre-Owned.

Update on the tree thing. The service adviser called me back and explained that the tree falling on it was pretty minor. Said he spoke with the assigned tech. We do get pretty bad wind gusts where I live (sometimes in the 50+ gusts) so a tree falling, and scratching some paint is not outside of the possibilities around here. Sure it could just be the dealer feeding something to appease me.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I had to laugh at the battery leaking acid and than strut replacement commenet as well. I did inspect the battery. I didn't find any battery acid. I think most of my frustration is coming from the amount of time at the dealer so far after just barely cresting 3k miles. The car was sold CPO. So even though it was a service loaner, I believe Honda should have done their due diligence to inspect and verify the status of the car before putting it for sale. Or perhaps the dealership should have done. Perhaps the dealership is more at fault than Honda.

Also. I would tend to disagree with it being a service loaner and getting beat up. People basically put up their own insurance against these cars evidenced by the insurance cards I found in the glove box from other people. I hope that the majority of people would drive it responsibly. At least I do when I'm provided one. I'm also pretty meticulous about the inside and outside. Still had brand new smell. No crazy stains or smells. And even though it was a service loaner, I believe Honda should have done their due diligence since it was sold Certified Pre-Owned.

Update on the tree thing. The service adviser called me back and explained that the tree falling on it was pretty minor. Said he spoke with the assigned tech. We do get pretty bad wind gusts where I live (sometimes in the 50+ gusts) so a tree falling, and scratching some paint is not outside of the possibilities around here. Sure it could just be the dealer feeding something to appease me.
CPO inspection is a great idea, but does not happen in reality. My car was a cpo, it came with a missing fender liner, a screw in a tire with tpms light, and weak keyfob battery light on. Your cpo came with those things listed above. They simply do not care. CPO checklist is just a piece of paper, not a real inspection.

I'd agree that most people are decent folks, they pay their taxes, go to hoa meetings, and some even drive loaner cars gently like it's their own car. Most people. It takes one guy to foul a good thing for everybody else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts