Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2016 Accord EX and noticed the dealer installed the front license plate bracket off-center. To me it is very noticeable and very frustrating. This is a caution to anyone in the market for a 2016 Accord to take steps to avoid a bad installation of the front plate bracket. The Accord does not have alignment dimples on the bumper to make sure it is placed correctly. I wrote a brief summary report of the situation and attached it in case anyone is interested. It includes pictures of how it was installed on my car, and a simple way to make sure the dealer (or you) can align it properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Bring it back to dealer and have them fix it...not by just drilling new holes to move it over. Patch/replace front bumper; paint and install correctly. Dealer needs to know. Yours is likely not first nor last with this situation. They higher kids to do this stuff and fail to give them proper instructions and cautions.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just now checked mine. It's off center to the left, but only 1/4" at most. I'm fine with it.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Surprised that Honda doesn't have a procedure to idiot proof something like this as they do for the Civic. A prime example of "irresponsible people are the problem". "No dimples there so I'm going to just eyeball it instead of making an alignment mark." That's just the mentality if you don't get the right person who really cares like Honda would expect them to care. It's unfortunate and you are entitled to a perfect car on delivery but there is no way around it to make it perfect now without someone touching your car again which has the potential to cause more problems. Personally I would just have them drill some new holes and call it a day.

·
@breakneck speed
392 Posts
It would be really easy for The dealer to make a cardboard frame to use as a guide. Just grab a big cardboard box from parts department, measure and cut, and then you have a perfect fit guide for the life of the generation(or half)

Hopefully you don't get a reply of "you didn't notice it for a while". But if the dealer has let it go on for a while they will possibly get defensive quickly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it was off by a smaller amount I would be OK with it. Mine is very noticeable, to me at least. I am working with the dealer to get another bumper skin. I'm not sure I like this 100%, because it will be differerent paint that might not match or last as long. It is being done at a shop that does all the rework for the Marysville Accord plant, so maybe it will be OK. If I just redrill and install the plates centered, then if I sell the car or move to a different state, or Ohio changes the law, I have a very bad looking front bumper. One possibility is I saw a bracket on Amazon that has adjustable slots that might let you move it closer to center. The Honda bracket is definitely not adjustable without drilling new holes.

·
Cruising in Montana
4,973 Posts
If I just redrill and install the plates centered, then if I sell the car or move to a different state, or Ohio changes the law, I have a very bad looking front bumper.
Why worry about what might happen? If you move to another state, deal with it then. If you sell it, that's the buyer's problem, if they even notice. They won't change the law.

I imagine the existing holes will be covered by the plate when it is in it's intended spot. If that's the case, just drill new holes and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Bring it back to dealer and have them fix it...not by just drilling new holes to move it over. Patch/replace front bumper; paint and install correctly. Dealer needs to know. Yours is likely not first nor last with this situation. They higher kids to do this stuff and fail to give them proper instructions and cautions.
Therein lies the problem: They hire higher kids. Damned kids should stay off the wacky weed:wink

Reactions: johnwill

·
Registered
100 Posts
If it was off by a smaller amount I would be OK with it. Mine is very noticeable, to me at least. I am working with the dealer to get another bumper skin. I'm not sure I like this 100%, because it will be differerent paint that might not match or last as long. It is being done at a shop that does all the rework for the Marysville Accord plant, so maybe it will be OK. If I just redrill and install the plates centered, then if I sell the car or move to a different state, or Ohio changes the law, I have a very bad looking front bumper. One possibility is I saw a bracket on Amazon that has adjustable slots that might let you move it closer to center. The Honda bracket is definitely not adjustable without drilling new holes.
Curious how the fix went on the holes? I just noticed the plate bracket was not centered on my car when I went to put the plates on. Not sure if my dealer is going to do anything as they said I could bring it in to just to have another set of holes drilled into the bumper. I actually took off the bracket and centered to where it should be and the bracket wouldn't even cover one of the holes!

I ordered that bracket on Amazon you are talking about so see if that will fix it. Thought about getting bumper plugs but even those would not be centered=(

·
Rollin in FL
1,356 Posts
I just purchased a 2016 Accord EX and noticed the dealer installed the front license plate bracket off-center. To me it is very noticeable and very frustrating. This is a caution to anyone in the market for a 2016 Accord to take steps to avoid a bad installation of the front plate bracket. The Accord does not have alignment dimples on the bumper to make sure it is placed correctly. I wrote a brief summary report of the situation and attached it in case anyone is interested. It includes pictures of how it was installed on my car, and a simple way to make sure the dealer (or you) can align it properly.
Surprised that Honda doesn't have a procedure to idiot proof something like this as they do for the Civic. A prime example of "irresponsible people are the problem". "No dimples there so I'm going to just eyeball it instead of making an alignment mark." That's just the mentality if you don't get the right person who really cares like Honda would expect them to care. It's unfortunate and you are entitled to a perfect car on delivery but there is no way around it to make it perfect now without someone touching your car again which has the potential to cause more problems. Personally I would just have them drill some new holes and call it a day.
OP, just letting you know, there are some people (mostly idiots and ricers) that puts their front number plate completely to the right or to the left, and then there are people that like to be normal and have it in the middle. As for me, as I lived in PA and FL, both states only use the back, whereas in Arizona, California, and Iowa, they require both front and back. It doesn't matter for me, because mine has the holes and line up and still has the bottom part of the bracket in the center.

If this bothers you, just look at those idiots who has their number plates a complete side of the car and laugh at them if that makes you feel better.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,506 Posts
This is not a new problem...the two top rear license plate holes on my 6th gen were drilled at different angles. Makes taking the license plate off and on much more painful than it has to be...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,631 Posts
I don't get why they changed it. My 7th gen plate bracket was attached under the lip of the bumper into pre-drilled and tapped holes. So if you removed the bracket there were no visible holes. I can't believe they drill holes in the face of the bumper. That would chap my hide.

Reactions: Trixster22 and enne

·
Runnin' in the 90s
6,506 Posts
My old OEM front bumper had holes drilled in the front of it for the NJ plate (where it was originally bought). There's actually a flat spot on the bumper for mounting but I don't think they come tapped from the factory. My new aftermarket bumper did not have taps or marks for drilling.

And I agree. I don't get why they don't attach brackets like that to the underside.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
I don't get why they changed it. My 7th gen plate bracket was attached under the lip of the bumper into pre-drilled and tapped holes. So if you removed the bracket there were no visible holes. I can't believe they drill holes in the face of the bumper. That would chap my hide.
Cheap. They save money. That is why these toy cars we buy are so inexpensive.

What is so hard to understand?

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,631 Posts
If the dealership had installed the bracket, knowing Louisiana doesn't require front plates, I would have had to go on to the next dealership. Some of them will install the front brackets, just so they can put one of their dealership name plates on. Lucky for me, and Tiger Honda, they don't.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Mine is not centered as well. IMO nothing worth complaining about. I don't think anyone else will ever notice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.