Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending quite a bit of time trying to find a front plate mount that wouldn't put holes in in the bumper i decided to make my own. It was quick easy and cheap.

What you need:
-the stock plate mount
-zip ties (the 14 inch ones i got worked great)
-something to protect the bumper from getting scratched (the weather stripping i got is nice because it slid over the zip ties so they don't rub the bumper)

I would type instructions but i think you can figure it out from the pics.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Why go to all this trouble just to avoid drilling two holes in the bumper that no one can see because the front license plate covers the holes? After you have driven the car somewhere between 50,000 and 100,000 miles you will not really care nor remember if your bumper has or doesn't have holes behind your front plate.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Trust me, it bugs me every day that I see the front plate knowing that my dealer drilled the holes. It was that or waiting months for another car that didn't have the holes. Some of us are anal like that. The only thing that makes me forget about the holes is the hideous reflectors on the back bumper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It wasn't really any trouble, it was easier than drilling holes in my bumper and if I move somewhere with out front plates its cheaper than the plugs to cover the holes and looks better if you remove the plate.

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
You do realize though that you'll be restricting airflow to your radiator?
Even if only slightly...

Probably could have just used VHB tape and mount it on the intended spot.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
You do realize though that you'll be restricting airflow to your radiator?
Even if only slightly...
I have my plate mounted directly in the grill opening of my car, yes it is 7th Gen, but the effect is not much different.

My plate blocks the middle 1/3 of the direct airflow to the radiator, but the plate is still 7+ inches away from the radiator itself, so lots of airflow will still get around the plate and onto the radiator.

It's been 3 or 4 years since I did this mod, and never had any overheat problems, not only that, the plate is actually protecting that middle 1/3 third of the radiator from direct impact by road debris.

What I also did is to put a layer of the clear bra film over the plate, so the silkscreened ink is protected and not get eroded by the sandblasting from road debris.

·
9th Gen Coupe
825 Posts
I have my plate mounted directly in the grill opening of my car, yes it is 7th Gen, but the effect is not much different.

My plate blocks the middle 1/3 of the direct airflow to the radiator, but the plate is still 7+ inches away from the radiator itself, so lots of airflow will still get around the plate and onto the radiator.

It's been 3 or 4 years since I did this mod, and never had any overheat problems, not only that, the plate is actually protecting that middle 1/3 third of the radiator from direct impact by road debris.

What I also did is to put a layer of the clear bra film over the plate, so the silkscreened ink is protected and not get eroded by the sandblasting from road debris.
I've done the same with cars in the past as well with no problem.
I'm just pointing it out for him.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'm picking my car up Wednesday. I'm in PA and we don't need front plates. It's a PA dealer, but they drill and mount their advertisement plate and it's already on the car. it's the exact car I want. They agreed to send the little plugs they have to be painted to match. I'm going black, so I doubt anyone will ever notice, but it will always bug me that they're there. I just keep telling myself it's the car I want. I have to get on on Wednesday, i'm turning in my Nissan lemon Altima! My altima was a 2.5 SL (4cyl cvt), with the $ from Nissan, I'm knocking 6 months off my payment, lowering it $10 a month and upgrading BIG TIME to the EX-L V6! Makes the plugs a non issue when you're in a lemon and not really paying for the upgrade :)

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
Trust me, it bugs me every day that I see the front plate knowing that my dealer drilled the holes. It was that or waiting months for another car that didn't have the holes. Some of us are anal like that. The only thing that makes me forget about the holes is the hideous reflectors on the back bumper.
And I thought I was OCD. Hope you married a virgin. :) I kid, I kid.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
There is absolutely NO reason for front plates. Why have two, when one is sufficient? When you get pulled over, the rear plate gets checked. When you get caught by speeding camera, the rear plate gets checked. So on, and so on.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
There is absolutely NO reason for front plates. Why have two, when one is sufficient? When you get pulled over, the rear plate gets checked. When you get caught by speeding camera, the rear plate gets checked. So on, and so on.
Numerous states require you by law to have both front and back plates.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I agree with you, but I live in a State that requires both and I don't need the hassle of being stopped by the police if I don't have a front plate. It's not that big of a deal.

If you don't like the front license plate, then lobby your State's legislature to change the law. Form a grass roots lobby group called "Keep My Front Bumper Unholy". Of course you will have to fight your state's automobile dealer's association who have a vested interest in front license plates. They always install a frame around the front and rear plates with their name across the top and toll free number at the bottom.:thumbsdow

In Texas we need both plates because we have so many prisoners in the penal system that we need need two license plates per car to keep all of the inmates busy. :lmao:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts