Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I am in the middle of doing a front end overhaul on my Accord. Upper Control arm and ball joints, lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar end links and possibly struts. Does anyone have or know where I can find online the torque specs for all the nuts and bolts associated with this job. I know I should buy a repair manual, but havn't gotten around to it yet. I also know that the suspension components need to be torqued under load. Is there any specific order to tightening this stuff up? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Tim

·
SUSPENSION GURU
3 Posts
Torque Specs.

Here you go,

Upper control arm to anchor bolts - 30 Lbs/ft
Anchor bolts to body - 47 Lbs/ft
Upper ball joint castle nut - 32 Lbs/ft

Lower control arm to body bolt - if 10mm bolt - 43 Lbs/ft, If 12mm - 80 Lbs/ft
Lower ball joint castle nut - 40 Lbs/ft
Lower control arm to strut nut - 47 Lbs/ft
Outer tie rod to knuckle nut - 32 Lbs/ft

As far as Torque order goes, the only thing that you need to worry about is the control arm bolts themselves. Tighten every fastener up except for the lower control arm to body bolt and the upper control arm to anchor bolt, bolts and nuts (2). Set the car down on the ground and roll the car forward and back a couple of feet (to settle the suspension). Now tighten the remaining bolts. If the car is lowered this is going to be difficult especially with the upper bolts. Another way to do the uppers is to look at the angle the control arm is setting at when the car is on the ground then raise it back up, remove the upper ball joint nut and seperate the upper ball joint from the knuckle. hold the upper control arm at the same angle as noted when the car was on the ground then tighten the upper control arm to anchor bolt fasteners. It doesn't have to be super precise, all you are trying to do is get it close to where the car is going to ride so you don't put a big preload on the control arm bushings so they don't wear out pre-maturely.

I hope this helps. :thumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts