Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a click away from ordering a tl-s sway bar but I have some questions and I didn't want to jack the other sway bar thread again. I was led to do this from not wanting any snap oversteer conditions from the 20mm bar that have been mentioned...

51300-SEP-A01 SPRING, FR. STABILIZER $109.24
51306-SEP-A01 BUSH, FR. STABILIZER HOLDER $3.44
51308-SDA-A00 BRACKET, FR. STABILIZER $6.64
(tl-s fsb and needed parts for those that want em)

On to my questions...

What all is involved in changing the front sway bar? Is there a write up anywhere on this? Some people have made me worried on just how hard it is hahaha. I have access to jack stands and possibly a lift if my buddy feels like it if that is all that is needed.

Thanks Josh.

·
Super Moderator
7,848 Posts
Basically it is the worst PITA DIY project I've done, here are the difficult aspects:

- Loosening the 4 bolts holding the two brackets which holds the sway bar bushings in place, these bolts are tightened in the factory before the rest of the power train is installed, rendering it impossible to use any power tool to loosen these, which means loosening these 4 bolts with a open end wrench turning these bolts maybe 1/20th of a turn at a time, it will take you a long while

- Getting the sway bar out without the car up high on a lift is just about impossible even after loosening, but not removing the front subframe bolts and removing the rear subframe bolts, it took me over an hour and half to wrestle the bar out even with the front of the car jacked very high with a pair of high-lift floor jacks, at one point I nearly gave up and seriously thought about just leaving the front bar in there, put the brackets back on and get a shop to do it.

- Getting the new bar back in was equally difficult, in fact I could not get the new bar in revserse of how the old car came out, that took another hour before I somehow got it in

USE A HOIST/LIFT IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO ONE, trust me.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds painfully annoying. How much do you think a shop would charge to do this?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright. Thanks man. Sorry if it's getting repetitive for you.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
Man, that looks sooo much easier on a lift. Took me 2 hrs to swap front with a jack & pair of jack stands. Also removed downpipe on exhaust. Well worth the head aches. Get a ratcheting wrench for bolts if DIY.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I'm a click away from ordering a tl-s sway bar

51300-SEP-A01 SPRING, FR. STABILIZER $109.24
Are you ordering the right sway bar?

It looks like you are ordering the 04-06 TL front sway bar. The hollow one not the solid one. It's what I put on my car. It could just be some confusion over terms. Others list the TL-S bar as 51300-SEP-A21 - SPRING, FR. STABILIZER. It's likely the price on it is is going up or you might want to shop around a little. When I ordered my front bar 3-08 it cost me $52. BTW, if you ever plan to do a j-pipe it's really good to do the j-pipe and front sway at the same time. I believe it helps out in getting the bar off and on while the j-pipe is off. Also it helps to have someone to help you to use a pry bar while slipping the bar out and on again. I was really glad to have a buddy available to help me when I did mine.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I am putting a j-pipe on when I do this. And I believe this is the solid 27.2mm tl-s sway bar, that is why it is expensive. The hollow was around $50.

The other threads I looked at said the A21 was the hollow sway bar.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So now I am really confused because I am finding conflicting information when I search too. If this is correct, I got the regular tl bar for $40 more than tl-s bar. :facepalm

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
So now I am really confused because I am finding conflicting information when I search too. If this is correct, I got the regular tl bar for $40 more than tl-s bar. :facepalm
Don't feel bad. It is confusing. But the part# you listed is the same one I installed and it clearly shows as the bar for the 04 - 06 TL. I'm quite sure that my bar is hollow. There was no TL-S for that generation Acura until 2007. The site I got mine from (Delray) now shows it at $109. The price has gone up quite a lot since I ordered mine in 2008.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^Thank you for clarifying that! I cancelled my order with Delray and will order the 07-08 tl-s sway bar instead. It will save me $40 easy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
^This is way I am ANAL about my parts and everything... Just in case anyone was following my "Sway Bar" thread..

·
Fails at Internets
75 Posts
I installed 51300-SEP-A21 today, and it seemed very solid....not hollow. And a lot heavier than the 25.4mm OEM bar. It was $65 from Del Ray Acura.

As Aviography said at the top.........a brutal PITA. :grumpy: My buddy and I felt defeated when we couldn't get the bar all the way out. :bawling: We were going to cut it, but eventually, after kicking the sub-frame over and over and cursing, we defied the universe and forced a giant square peg through an impossibly round hole. Giant sigh of relief when that piece of steel clanked against the concrete. "Ok, round 2—let's see if we can shove a bigger one back in there." :lmao:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
very interesting note: 07-08 TL-S solid front sway bar actually cost LESS than the 04-06 TL follow front sway bar. at least it was when i looked up the prices awhile ago.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes it is, around 40 less actually.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I installed 51300-SEP-A21 today, and it seemed very solid....not hollow. And a lot heavier than the 25.4mm OEM bar. It was $65 from Del Ray Acura.

As Aviography said at the top.........a brutal PITA. :grumpy: My buddy and I felt defeated when we couldn't get the bar all the way out. :bawling: We were going to cut it, but eventually, after kicking the sub-frame over and over and cursing, we defied the universe and forced a giant square peg through an impossibly round hole. Giant sigh of relief when that piece of steel clanked against the concrete. "Ok, round 2—let's see if we can shove a bigger one back in there." :lmao:
My airforce friend and I did at an air force base. It actually wasn't that bad for us having a lift and every tool we needed. I would have paid someone to do it if I didnt have a lift though.

Also, a nice pry bar makes it a ton easier, from getting the bolts on/off to getting the bar in and out...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ironic, isnt it? for something that is solid to be cheaper than its hollow counterpart.
I definitely agree, that is why it originally confused me haha.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts