Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crap. Well I just put in washer fluid yesterday, and it says it's good for up to -20 degrees Fahrenheit.

Problem is, tomorrow, with wind chill, it could possibly dip below -30 degrees....

Should i go drain the washer fluid with a turkey baster? or will I be okay? I do park in a garage, but the garage really isn't that much warmer...

I heard elsewhere that if the washer fluid freezes, it will expand and crack the reservoir!!!:eek:

·
Registered
106 Posts
It should be OK. The reservoir is located within the car and out of the wind, so it won't be that cold.
I park in an uninsulated and unheated garage, and when it's -25C, the garage is around -10C. As long as the reservoir is good and full, you shouldn't have any problems at those temperatures.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
ummm....wind chill is an affect on a living organism- not on inanimate objects. The wind chill could be minus 100 degrees and won't affect jack on your Accord.

But on your johnson, yeah that would be bad.

From the great wiki page: "The speed of cooling has different effects on inanimate objects and biological organisms. For inanimate objects, the effect of wind chill is to reduce any warmer objects to the ambient temperature more quickly. It cannot, however, reduce the temperature of these objects below the ambient temperature, no matter how great the wind velocity."

Edit: added the word "inanimate"

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
^ Correct, for inanimate objects, it means temperature will cool down faster with the addition of wind, but won't become any colder than the actual ambient temperature.

Leave your windshield in there, it's fine and won't freeze.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
heh now I feel stupid. :blush:
Not stupid, Todd. You care about your stuff and asked, learned, and carried on.

You want stupid? It's gonna be -15 degrees tomorrow and I am still running my 4.5 year old 51R battery in my Accord....there is an Advance Auto 1.5 blocks from me, and I have an awesome car charger, but still, I am risking it. Why? Because I am trying to go for January's "Gutsiest Move I Ever Saw Man" award.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTJWdPmYM3U

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I heard elsewhere that if the washer fluid freezes, it will expand and crack the reservoir!!!:eek:
You'll be safe... but thanks for posting this. You reminded me that I've got summer formula washer fluid still in my tank, which has zero antifreeze properties. Should have remembered because last few times I hit the spray (early morning), it froze instantly on my windshield.

ATL will have a six degree low in the next day or two. I just dumped a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the tank and drove around the block a few times, jamming on the brakes so it would mix. No more freezy for me! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts