Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took my car into the dealer today to take care of that lovely rear shelf/deck creak/squeak/rattle that had been driving me nuts. They drove the car but couldn't hear it at first so I went with the technician, and sure enough he eventually heard the problem.

A little while later they repaired Honda Service Bulletin 10-080, which they claimed was only an issue up to model year 2011 (mine is a 2012 mind you).

I made my way home and didn't hear a thing. (Made sure to drive the entire way with the radio and climate control off) A short while later I ran to the store, and sure enough I hear the same damn sound.

I figured I'd wait until after Christmas to have them deal with this, but does anyone have any other suggestions? The service writer I worked with was an absolute moron and tried to tell me window tint voided my warranty, I laughed and said no.

Link to the bulletin (supposedly) fixed.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.driveaccord.net%2Fforums%2Fattachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D40141%26d%3D1320254411&ei=nPC4UtjbM-mIyAHsuYDwAg&usg=AFQjCNEWTV5S_VX6lPbX72jwcNG66u5XGg&bvm=bv.58187178,d.aWc

And a pic for your click :thmsup:

·
유+웃= ♋
102 Posts
The service writer I worked with was an absolute moron and tried to tell me window tint voided my warranty, I laughed and said no.
lol, with that kind of mentality putting a NOS sticker on your car equals an engine modification. "Sorry, but that sticker voids your warranty as it add 5+ after market HP"

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I've tried the dealer a solid half dozen times for rattles before I just decided to tackle it myself. Felt pads folded and wedged to be invisible but tight solved all of my plastic rattles. It took four drives for the techs to hear my bad bearings. They seem to go deaf when they take our cars out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It took four drives for the techs to hear my bad bearings. They seem to go deaf when they take our cars out.
I swear it's just laziness.

How did you pinpoint where the sounds were coming from exactly? Obviously I have a general area, take a ride in the trunk?

I also think I may just be a little nitpicky here especially with my previous car having been an Audi which felt as airtight as an airplane.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I swear it's just laziness.

How did you pinpoint where the sounds were coming from exactly? Obviously I have a general area, take a ride in the trunk?

I also think I may just be a little nitpicky here especially with my previous car having been an Audi which felt as airtight as an airplane.
The general area is where the third break light is, if you shove a napkin in between the shelf and the window you can see the noise goes away completely

·
Banned
48 Posts
The general area is where the third break light is, if you shove a napkin in between the shelf and the window you can see the noise goes away completely
thats what i do. i have 3 microfiber towels between my rear shelf and my window and i have no rattles at all

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sure sounds better than fighting with an incompetent dealer. I will give this a shot today and see what happens!

·
Registered
206 Posts
My rear deck rattle came from inside the trunk, under the the rear shelf. I think you have to take off the light cover and the clip is accessible from there. There is a little clip in there that I wedged some cloth, a small piece about the size of a silver dollar of microfiber cloth that I use to clean my sunglasses, and pushed it in with a flatheaded screwdriver. My car is quit like a mummy's tomb, I do get an occasional rattle from the sunfoof windflector (when the sunroof is closed) when the bass booms a little too loud. Someone posted a link on the fix I used a long time ago.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My rear deck rattle came from inside the trunk, under the the rear shelf. I think you have to take off the light cover and the clip is accessible from there. There is a little clip in there that I wedged some cloth, a small piece about the size of a silver dollar of microfiber cloth that I use to clean my sunglasses, and pushed it in with a flatheaded screwdriver. My car is quit like a mummy's tomb, I do get an occasional rattle from the sunfoof windflector (when the sunroof is closed) when the bass booms a little too loud. Someone posted a link on the fix I used a long time ago.
Do you have a coupe or sedan? I have heard they are different but I am going to look at this, because that little clip is supposed to be what was fixed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Do you have a coupe or sedan? I have heard they are different but I am going to look at this, because that little clip is supposed to be what was fixed.
I have the sedan. IIRC, The way that the dealer fixes the rattle is different than the way I did it. I will look to find the thread that showed how I did it.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=74517
In this thread use the first listed TSB for the fix, it worked for me. The second one helps give you an idea of what you are looking at. The third is the same that you posted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts