Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I do realize that the V6 manual don't have VCM, and basically you need to spend about a good 20-30% more on fuel versus a auto one. (base on the whatever test method)

But here is the quick question for you guys, what is your actual gas mileage for your car? (And which octane level of fuel are you using)

Specially those who own a V6 (AT & MT) what are the actual difference without the VCM.

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
Auto

The HW mileage appears to matter most with VCM, and where you will see huge savings. My mileage really depends on if I'm on the HW or city. Combined I usually achieve 25 MPG with quite a few short trips. If I drive on the HWY for a couple hours with nominal winds and avg 65MPH I can easily achieve 34MPG. At 55MPH you will see 36+.

The auto V6 coupe is rated at 2MPG less than the auto V6 sedan, but I'm not sure where that loss comes from.

Higher octane will have no effect in our vehicles. The timing on the engine will not take that into effect so it's a waste of cash.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
First, don’t believe the EPA figures. I have a 2012 6-6 rated at 17/26 and get 31 mpg (winter) and 34 mpg (summer) at 70 mph. Many others experience the same thing. I have no idea where the EPA got 26 mpg highway. Real life highway mileage is MUCH better. It makes sense a VCM engine will get better highway fuel mileage, but it is probably limited to 5% (2 mpg).

Consider this: If an Accord needs 20 hp to maintain 70 mph, it needs 20 hp whether it is running on all 6 cylinders (non-VCM) or on the 3 cylinders (VCM). Total drag doesn't change. What changes is that while the engine operates on three cylinders, those 3 cylinders must work HARDER to produce that 20 hp. That is actually good. “Working harder” means the throttle plate must be opened more. Those 3 cylinders must now do the work of 6 cylinders. Individually, each cylinder needs more air- about twice as much.

When on 3 cylinders, the throttle plate must open a little more. That in turn reduces pumping losses and makes the engine a tiny bit more efficient. Pumping losses regard a very strong vacuum that exists inside the intake manifold that “pulls up” on the piston during the intake stroke. The more the throttle plate is open, the lower that vacuum and the easier the engine spins. This is the exact same principal by the way that slows a car when we engine brake. (Take foot off gas pedal, throttle plate closes 100%, huge vacuum forms inside manifold, pistons must fight vacuum during intake stroke and slow rpm rapidly.)

The question is how much less fuel does it require to produce 20 hp on 3 cylinders compared to 6 cylinders? That depends on how inefficient the engine is on all 6 cylinders. Based on the fact that many 6-6 owners get low 30s on the highway, the non-VCM engine is clearly not that inefficient. In real life, VCM is good but will probably boost highway mpg by no more than 5%. I’m okay with low to mid 30s highway. Two mpg more would be better, but that’s not enough to make me sacrifice my preference for a 6MT. The gas penalty for driving a 6-6 is not as great as the EPA would lead you to believe.

·
loving the V6 growl :D
444 Posts
pure city 20-21mpg
hwy- 34-36mpg.. **loaded with baggage and kids stuff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, that's where my debate is.... If I am getting another accord, it will be a stick for sure. (aka V6 coupe)

Currently I am driving a 99 accord v6 AT. and still love to smoke those idiot who drive those so called high performance econ box with a loud muffler. (specially mine is all rust out)

And Yes, the EPA or whatever rating is just garbage, my V6 is actually more fuel efficient than my brother's Kia on the highway. (Still don't know why, may be his car is still too new)

Other than that, when I check the fuel consumption rating back to the day, it's almost identical to what I am having right now (a bit less, but I do drive hard). My other 3 cars, subaru, dodge, and mazda, only dodge is getting close to the rating for all 4 seasons, others are WAAAAAY offf no matter how I drive, and that's part of the reason why i want to get another Honda.

And yes, in theory, the VCM should be only a OK thing, but on the V8 like the ram1500, they seems to work much better specially these few years with a more advanced program & control for it.....

Well.... looks like I am almost going to buy another Accord again LOL

·
Registered
109 Posts
Auto
The auto V6 coupe is rated at 2MPG less than the auto V6 sedan, but I'm not sure where that loss comes from.
VCM is the mpg differnce. MT cars don't have cyl shut down...at least that's what I read.

I get 34-37mpg on my 54 mile commute that is mostly highway. V6 Auto

Over 70mph and the mileage drops to 31-33mpg

Still blows my mind to have ~280hp and get over 30 mpg

·
Registered
336 Posts
First, don’t believe the EPA figures. I have a 2012 6-6 rated at 17/26 and get 31 mpg (winter) and 34 mpg (summer) at 70 mph. Many others experience the same thing. I have no idea where the EPA got 26 mpg highway. Real life highway mileage is MUCH better. It makes sense a VCM engine will get better highway fuel mileage, but it is probably limited to 5% (2 mpg).

Consider this: If an Accord needs 20 hp to maintain 70 mph, it needs 20 hp whether it is running on all 6 cylinders (non-VCM) or on the 3 cylinders (VCM). Total drag doesn't change. What changes is that while the engine operates on three cylinders, those 3 cylinders must work HARDER to produce that 20 hp. That is actually good. “Working harder” means the throttle plate must be opened more. Those 3 cylinders must now do the work of 6 cylinders. Individually, each cylinder needs more air- about twice as much.

When on 3 cylinders, the throttle plate must open a little more. That in turn reduces pumping losses and makes the engine a tiny bit more efficient. Pumping losses regard a very strong vacuum that exists inside the intake manifold that “pulls up” on the piston during the intake stroke. The more the throttle plate is open, the lower that vacuum and the easier the engine spins. This is the exact same principal by the way that slows a car when we engine brake. (Take foot off gas pedal, throttle plate closes 100%, huge vacuum forms inside manifold, pistons must fight vacuum during intake stroke and slow rpm rapidly.)

The question is how much less fuel does it require to produce 20 hp on 3 cylinders compared to 6 cylinders? That depends on how inefficient the engine is on all 6 cylinders. Based on the fact that many 6-6 owners get low 30s on the highway, the non-VCM engine is clearly not that inefficient. In real life, VCM is good but will probably boost highway mpg by no more than 5%. I’m okay with low to mid 30s highway. Two mpg more would be better, but that’s not enough to make me sacrifice my preference for a 6MT. The gas penalty for driving a 6-6 is not as great as the EPA would lead you to believe.
This is great stuff! :thmsup:

To add small point to this, I have to ask, do these ratings also come down to how the EPA tester(s) (or whatever their title is) drives the car as well? It would stand to reason that if they are averaging the worst case scenarios with the best cases, someone who drives really hard can bring the overall averages down, no?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have 4200 miles on my Accord over the past 8 months and I have an average of 19.2 mpg (according to the computer) on the V6

·
Registered
113 Posts
so far only about 7300 miles, avg 26.6, 80% city, 20% hwy V6 auto

87 octane

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have the Auto V6 coupe. Average of 19.6 mpg over 9300 miles in roughly 5 and a half months. Take into account this is with WOT at most available opportunities.:naughty::lmao:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is great stuff! :thmsup:

To add small point to this, I have to ask, do these ratings also come down to how the EPA tester(s) (or whatever their title is) drives the car as well? It would stand to reason that if they are averaging the worst case scenarios with the best cases, someone who drives really hard can bring the overall averages down, no?
Yes, they have a method, all ideal with only X amount of speed (Very low too) at crusing, at the ideal temperature, no up hill or down hill, and air density is so high that it's basically impossible for lots of areas.....

and that's why EPA's number only worth 2 cent.

One of the joke back from a while ago is when they test any SUV or/and AWD vehicle, they always try their best to make it to 2WD on high gear only, not testing it at 4WD or AWD. Since this info got leak out, I believe they do 1 for 2WD & 1 for 4WD now

·
Registered
608 Posts
Winter driving I've been getting ~ 29 - 30 mpg combined. That's about 25% city / 75% highway with the tank lasting about a week and a half.

Best I've had was a 37.5 mpg 95% highway @ 70mph 450 mile journey, pretty constant, in the fall when it was a lot warmer. Return got nearly the same mpg. I did the same stretch many times in my old Corolla and the 'Rolla wouldn't get any better than 35mpg... VCM really does make a difference on longer rides, it's no marketing gimmick.

·
Rhymes with **** & Quick
1,314 Posts
V6 AT Sedan here. 23,000 miles thus far, and I get about 27.2 mpg combined (about 60/40 highway/city mix). When cruising on the highway, I get between 29 and 36 mpg.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
2014 LX Sedan MT , 1200 miles so far, so just breaking in, but getting about 27 around town, and on the highway(driving conservatively) 37-40mpg, for now. Sure that will change when I resume my driving like a maniac!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Vehicle has 3,000 total miles and very little of those miles has been in the city, approx 5%. Auto transmission

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Am getting a consistent 25.4 to 25.6 at appx 50/50 mixed driving, going easy on the throttle with occasional trips near redline. Have not had a pure hwy trip yet but am anticipating 30+. BTW, the trip computer is pretty accurate -Actual has been within 5% (lower) of the the reading for every fill up. All on reg grade. I have about 2600 miles on the odo.

·
Blinded by the light
1,551 Posts
VCM is the mpg differnce. MT cars don't have cyl shut down...at least that's what I read.

I get 34-37mpg on my 54 mile commute that is mostly highway. V6 Auto

Over 70mph and the mileage drops to 31-33mpg

Still blows my mind to have ~280hp and get over 30 mpg
Both the Sedan and the Coupe V6 auto's have VCM. I think it may have to do with aerodynamics.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Honestly, my sport 6mt only produces 28mpg....25% city/75% Hwy

I guess the V6 is more efficient in moving 3000+lbs

·
2013 Accord V6 6MT Coupe
18 Posts
I have a V6 6MT and on a typical tank of gas I see anywhere on average of 26-27.5mpgs 70% highway 30% city. On a longer highway trip i'll see my mpgs spike up to 32-33 most ever I was driving really conservatively I hit 36.2mpg with the manual transmission I cannot complain with that. I do give it a few spirited runs up the RPMS on a weekly basis getting on the highways. My numbers have suffered a bit in the winter now here in Mass but still consistently seeing about 25-26mpg per tank. Overall I'm totally satisfied with these numbers.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My automatic averages 27.9. Computer shows 29.9. This is 50/50 driving.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts