Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

RE: 1998 Honda Accord, 4 cylinder, EX, 172,000 miles.

I took a 400 mile drive yesterday and noticed a big puddle underneath my car at the gas station. I didn't really think it was mine until I looked under and actually saw what I suspect was fuel dripping. I had gone just past the click so I assumed this may have caused it. It slowed and stopped.

When I arrived at my destination I re-fueled but this time I saw no fuel dripping, just vapor, from underneath the car (at the area of the photos). Very odd. I drove and parked 5 miles away and sure enough it started leaking again, but this time not enough to reach the ground--just enough to get the smaller box blackened with it (see photos).

I am not familiar with the fuel system. The area of the leak is just in front of the left rear wheel. As some background, the past several months I've had poorer gas mileage by about 2-3 mpg highway, and 5-7 mpg city, and its not the usual culprits...spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, wires, etc....all changed 20,000 miles ago, inspected recently and still doing very well.

The only thing that is old is the O2 sensors at 60,000 miles. But my long fuel trim is within .6 and mostly at 0.0, and my short fuel trim is from -1.6 to +1.6 on average.

The past year I had a intermittent check engine light which my code reader says, "P1456". From memory I think it said something like, "small leak detected/evap canister". I bought a new gas cap and the check engine only comes on every thousand miles or so.

I managed to snap a couple photos last night. The leak is obvious on the smaller box that is darkened. When it was really leaking, I could see it pouring from that box.

Can someone help me identify what these boxes are and what likely I need to change? I am hoping I just need to change the little guy out. I've done most of the work on my car for years, but am somewhat reluctant to touch gas lines thus far. But, if it's an easy enough fix, I will try to tackle it. I checked auto parts diagrams and I can't really tell what I'm looking at. The vapor canister vent shut valve is the closest I came to.

Any input is much appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Elvira
3,437 Posts
sounds like your evap canister (charcoal canister) is kaput. If you over fill your tank and get raw fuel into the hoses and evap canister you could get that leak.

Miker

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The leak looks like it is coming from the EVAP canister vent shut off valve next to the charcoal canister. There should not be any liquid fuel in the evap system just vapor, so you may have other problems besides overfilling the tank.
The P1456 code is also related to the evap system not working properly. There are some threads on this problem if you want to do a search.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Miker and Nehonda; both of you were correct. Sorry about the slow reply but I had put the car in the shop over the weekend and just got it back this morning.

My mechanic replaced the EVAP bypass valve and the solenoid valve (with the electrical connector). I peeked under the car just now and obviously there no leaks but I will continue to monitor. I now hope my 1456 check engine light/code will be laid to rest and I can regain the missing 2-3 mpg! A new gas cap had slowed down the CEL a bit but it had still popped up every 1000 miles or so. So hopefully these two new EVAP-related parts will have resolved it.

The lesson on all this should be to periodically check under the car at fill up and don't go past the first click. I got lucky in spotting the leak after getting my change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts