Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Fuel range issue?

24K views 50 replies 28 participants last post by  pwize19 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I would appreciate some feedback. I just got a 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T. About 3rd time filling up the tank and every fill up the fuel range keeps dropping. First fill up ~320, second ~300, now ~285. Car only has about 600 miles on with 70% highway 30% city. I don’t drive it hard and it’s mostly on Eco. Is this normal or is something wrong?

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
For the 27th time I have posted this - 3 fill ups is not a good sample size for fuel consumption measuring. Drive the car for a few thousand miles and see what you get. Do the calculation yourself - don't rely on the car.

Or stop worrying about MPG. You bought a 2.0 as I did. I assume MPG is not your top priority or you would have gone with the 1.5. I changed the screen to the tach full time and rarely look at the MPG. Give it a shot - it will probably help you relax a bit.

#7 ·
I've found the range estimator to be conservative overall, so don't worry too much. As other say, calc your actuals and (adding) put them in a spreadsheet and look at them after 10 tanks... also mind that as the weather gets cooler, mileage will drop a little.

#8 ·
I have the same 2019 2.0 Sport but manual, but changed wheels/tires to 17' right on delivery day, after 3k miles I can get easily 450 miles range on the hwy, my average based on onboard comp is 34mpg, based on ~40%hwy/60%city, on hwy I can gest easily 36mpg, I drive on eco at hwy speeds 70-75mph

#9 ·
I drive on eco at hwy speeds 70-75mph
Have you seen a mpg difference at highway speeds with eco on? I know the HVAC is dumbed down with eco on, but I'm guessing it doesn't make much of a difference in efficiency at highway speeds.

Also -- I have to ask -- did you switch to 17" wheels just to get better mpg? It would be an odd choice to go with the 2.0T and then get smaller wheels to try to offset mpg loss...

#21 ·
Eco Mode - I find the drive line hiccups a bit in traffic and in Eco mode this does not happen nearly as much. Mostly Eco mode slows the throttle way down rather like a Mercedes with its slow throttle. Anyway, I like ECO city traffic smoothness and when I want my 2.0T power I just let the torque move you out by pushing down a more. At first I found ECO just dumbed down the whole car and I didn't like it at all, but after I tried it for few days and adjusted my driving style a little bit, overall I was happier. Plus sport and normal mode is 1 second away; so if I'm coming up to a corner I want to zoom around I just switch modes. Sadly, I drive 90% city with a lot of traffic and ECO helps to the tune of 1.5 mpg is my estimate but 21.5 is about what I get in 90/10 city highway. But the drive line smoothness was the main nudge for me using this mode. Open highway, on a 4.5 hour drive from Orange county to Yosemite some months back with 4500 foot passes and such I got 35.5 mpg and I was doing 80+ the whole way so the highway milage made me pretty happy.

On the range issue this car has a bit of a sub normal fuel tank size for the 2.0 cars though it likely work just fine for the 1.5. (Industry target is always 300+miles) Another issue I have noticed on the range calculation; If I fill up and jump on the freeway for 15 minutes the range looks great and MPG is 28 and climbing. But if a fill up and do most of the initial driving around town the system seems really pessimistic and this may be what thesleepyasian was seeing.

Last comment - best sport mode of any car I've ever owned. Not so much around town but in the mountains on a tight twisty road with the 19" wheels and sport mode the car was just outstanding, happy, responsive, balanced and most of all fun.

#25 ·
To OP - If you are going by the displayed fuel range, it is constantly recalculated based on current mpg and fuel left in tank. When it gets low you can actually watch it change drastically as your running mpg changes (e.g. if you get off the highway onto side streets or vice-versa.) I am not sure, but based on the wild changes I'd guess that the displayed range is based on current trip mileage and not average mileage to date.

Generally mpg observations on (2018 1.5 MT): With the same exact commute each day (60% hwy / 40% city) I have experimented with driving techniques for over a year now (just to break up the monotony) and interestingly, the mpg increases significantly the more time my foot is on the brake pedal with clutch engaged, versus coasting with the clutch engaged or braking with the clutch not engaged. I guess the car greatly reduces fuel flow to the engine in the first case but not the other two. These different techniques consistently have resulted in mpg' of low 40's vs. high 20's for my a.m. commute. Avg speed also makes a difference (best ~60 mph; worse ~70 and above), as does ACC (which tends to ride the brakes more, so improved mpg.) Gentle stop and go (more "slow and go") actually improves mpg due to increased braking!
I tend to brake very little with my MT's until now, but now I don't know what's better...save fuel or save brake pads and rotors...

#26 ·
Some additional thoughts. I just tanked last night. Temperatures are lower these days and that means:
  • More wind resistance - air is denser.
  • More 'pumping' resistance in the induction system with that dense air.
  • Slightly less rolling resistance (maybe) with stiffer tires.
  • Winter blend fuel is at the stations - per the EPA summer blends contain about 1.7% more energy by volume than winter blends.
The "end" range on my last tank computes out to 492 miles. It's rare that it's less than 500 - usually in the mid 500's. (This is the computed range for that tank had I used all but 2 litres of fuel based on the average for the tank load after filling up).
Another point is the tank I just burned was Shell. The 'new' tank is Costco/Kirkland. Will there be a difference?

#27 ·
I have 25K miles on my 2.0 manual sport. I also drive 70% Highway. I always get about 350-375 miles per tank before I fill up. At that point, gas light is on and I usually get 12.5 - 13 gallons in. My lifetime mileage is about 28 MPG while driving 80 on the highway. Overall, I think that is pretty good and it is very consistent. I also find the Miles to Empty is pretty conservative, but, I never push it passed 0 miles left. Too nervous, but, never fill until Low Fuel light comes on to maximize miles in between tanks.

#30 ·
For once I agree with Grumpypolecat...

I think I could get 48mpg if I could just do the speed limit...getting around 45mpg now with a semi-lead footed (spirited manner) 75%hwy/25%city.I love being stingy outta my wallet.
If could've gotten the manual trans I would've went 2.0 but mpg wise 1.5~turbo is the bomb.

#33 · (Edited)
Found out my parents been taking the car to do errands doing lots of city driving...
Did a 200 miles trip this weekend and getting ~33 mpg and ~320+ range. Lots of highway driving with a some "sporty" driving. All is good!
Good detective work Sherlock! Mystery solved. Now we can move onto the case of "why do my seat and outside mirrors change positions overnight?"

First fill up ~320, second ~300, now ~285. Car only has about 600 miles...
Sorry to be picky, but 320 + 300 + 285 = 905 miles. Why do you say your car has 600 miles? Just throwing that out there...

Reactions: Jas5lf
#35 ·
So i just purchased a 2018 HAH in November of last year 2019 with 25K miles. I noticed the other day the full range when I fill the gas tank said 480 miles and I recall seeing 530 when i had first purchased it from the private seller.

I’ve read that these cars should show 600 full range on the range meter.
Has anyone else seen this? Does you’re fuel range Show 600 Miles range when you fill up?
what do your accord hybrids full range say when you fill up?

#36 · (Edited)
Don't run an HAH myself but....

When you first purchased the car from the private seller, did you consistently get that 530+/- range or just that one time ?
Your driving style, route, etc may be way different than the sellers and you may never get that range.

Anything else you can describe? Different fuel (octane or ethanol/100% gas differences), short trips, back roads v hiway etc.? New tires, brakes operating OK, tire pressure, do you ride the brakes?

#39 ·
No one has really answered his question. I have a 2018 Accord 1.5T Touring. The day I got the car the dealership filled the gas tank. It was at 400mi for the full tank. Since I've been driving the car the highest I've ever seen after filling the tank is 383mi. I've had it for a year now and I have not seen 300 in months. Last week it was 288mi. The question is WHY? What's going on with that and how can it be fixed?

#40 ·
Are you asking how the mileage estimate can be fixed? Is it wildly different than how far you're driving on a tank of gas?

It's just an estimate based on how you drive. If you drive a lot of highway miles, expect the estimate to be higher. If you sit at stoplights and do a lot of city driving, the estimate will be lower. It's a scientific guess, and shouldn't be relied on for anything.

As a data point, my 2.0T also estimates high 200s for a tank of gas. I do almost 100% city driving these days. However, city driving is a broad category, and depends on lots of factors. If you do a lot of extended idling and crawling in a large city, your numbers are going to look a lot different than someone driving in a small town with 20 traffic lights and no gridlock.

With all of that said, the best fix for this is to use a different info screen and don't worry about it.

#47 ·
I’ve never paid attention to the range shown after a fill up. It doesn’t matter because the car can’t predict the future and doesn’t know how I will drive over the next tank. I do pay attention when I get low on fuel and have less than 50 miles of fuel estimated until I’m empty. Until then, it gets ignored.

#51 ·
Hi all, I would appreciate some feedback. I just got a 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T. About 3rd time filling up the tank and every fill up the fuel range keeps dropping. First fill up ~320, second ~300, now ~285. Car only has about 600 miles on with 70% highway 30% city. I don’t drive it hard and it’s mostly on Eco. Is this normal or is something wrong? Thanks
I have the same issue I have a 2020 Honda Accord Sport 1.5 L and I got it back in 2020 from the dealership and even then when I pulled it off the lot it read 295 mpg for fuel range at a full tank. My drive history and a fuel range says I have an average of 28.4 mpg and even with that if you do the math with a 14.8 gallon tank I should be showing over 400 mpg on the fuel range, I don't sit and idling the car, and my thermostat is always set at a reasonable temperature to be more fuel efficient. I have even tried to meticulously calculate and analyze my driving patterns and kept my range the same, I have also tried reseting the odometer and the trip history months later for trip "A" & "B" but again it will still tell me I have less than 300 mpg range. So can someone please explain that to me why my fuel range is terrible, I believe I have given ample amount of data to get an understanding of my driving habits. Hopefully after reading my comments someone can enlighten me with the answers to why I'm having this problem...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.