Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to get one, but don't see where Honda offers it as an accessory. Has anyone else done this? Can just be a steel wheel or whatever. Must be 19" for my sport, and 17" for a friends car. Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
98 Posts
You may have to double check this, but I am not sure that a full size spare will fit entirely in the space where the temporary spare sits. I don't think it's the wheel diameter that's the problem. Instead I think the full size wheel and tire is typically much wider.

So if you do end up putting a full size wheel and tire in the spare tire well, the cover might not sit flush with the floor on the sides of the trunk. If having the maximum amount of trunk space isn't a big deal to you, then it might work out. If I were you I'd check first to see how well a 19" wheel fits in there with the cover on top and without the foam tool tray.

·
Runnin' in the 90s
5,883 Posts
Just go and buy a tire and a steel wheel from any tire shop, have the tire mounted to the wheel, and throw it in the trunk.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a 2015 Camry with 215/55r17 tires and a space-saver spare. I bought a used full-size wheel on ebay. A mounted and inflated full-size tire was only an inch or so higher than the space-saver spare and the foam piece that holds the jack. I put the full-size spare in with the deeper inside of the wheel sticking up, and the jack fit inside the wheel. I used a 2'x2' piece of plywood over the spare and then I cut up some foam insulation boards and installed them in the trunk (under the cover) to make the height level with the spare and plywood. With the cover back on you could not even tell there was a difference in trunk space and it the cover was solidly in place. The foam and plywood cost only $10. The big cost is the wheel, tire, mounting and balancing. You can try this out with one of your wheels and see if it works before buying a new wheel and tire. If it works, save the foam piece that holds the jack for when you get rid of the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts