Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been searching around the accord forums and can't find any basics for putting the FX projector in the 7th gen headlight. I've collected info from the DIY's but nothing specific to this projector. Are there any with this projector that can help me out a little bit?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
You need to hack up the housing. I also cut the projector to make it fit. It was worth all the crap I had to go through. I am working on a set for my buddy right now. Still hard as hell but second time around now bad once I got everything down.

My suggest is mount it as far back as possible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have any pictures of the cuts? Will i be fine with a drill and a dremel? And the e-46 extended shroud has to be trimmed as well right?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I didn't use the e46 extended shroud, I used the regular one because it doesn't cover up my brackets. I just flipped the shrouds upside down. I dont have pix at the moment.

You will need the following tools:

dremel with good cutting disk
power drill
tons of different drill bit
tap and die kit
variety of nuts, bolts, washer, lock waster, sealing washer, and loctie
masking tape
mask
goggles

sand painter, primer, paint,

umm butyl tape to reseal and some silicon to glue stuff back and seal.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
to be honest, if you have to ask so many question its probably best to pay someone to do it. retrofitting is NOT for someone who wants to try for fun, there is a big risk you might cut too much and end up having to buy new headlights.

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,196 Posts
FX-R isn't for the faint of heart, lol. It was what I used on my second personal retro - and I love it.
Here are a few pictures of what I did with mine, but probably would do it a little bit differently if I were to do it all again.
http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/kingmoocow/Second retro/

As Ken said earlier - it's a LOT of cutting. And yes, you'll have to trim your shrouds - they'll be more like a football in shape when you're done. I think, like Ken said again, that if you cut the projector down to it's most minimal size that you can cut less off your reflector housing...

I don't recommend cutting discs though, cutting discs **** for plastics. Use a Tungsten Carbide Cutting bit on the reflector housing (definitely), and test it on your shrouds - some shrouds melt easier with a cutting disc, and some don't tolerate the carbide cutter as well, but it's my bit of choice for everything retros. I think it's bit # 9901 or 9902 -- I can't remember. For trimming the metal of the projector, you'll want heavy cutting discs probably.

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,196 Posts
to be honest, if you have to ask so many question its probably best to pay someone to do it. retrofitting is NOT for someone who wants to try for fun, there is a big risk you might cut too much and end up having to buy new headlights.
Now now, that's not fair ;) -- Everyone starts somewhere. I did TSX first, it was far easier, but starting with FXR isn't as bad as starting with LS430 or TL :lmao:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FX-R isn't for the faint of heart, lol. It was what I used on my second personal retro - and I love it.
Here are a few pictures of what I did with mine, but probably would do it a little bit differently if I were to do it all again.
http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/kingmoocow/Second retro/

As Ken said earlier - it's a LOT of cutting. And yes, you'll have to trim your shrouds - they'll be more like a football in shape when you're done. I think, like Ken said again, that if you cut the projector down to it's most minimal size that you can cut less off your reflector housing...

I don't recommend cutting discs though, cutting discs **** for plastics. Use a Tungsten Carbide Cutting bit on the reflector housing (definitely), and test it on your shrouds - some shrouds melt easier with a cutting disc, and some don't tolerate the carbide cutter as well, but it's my bit of choice for everything retros. I think it's bit # 9901 or 9902 -- I can't remember. For trimming the metal of the projector, you'll want heavy cutting discs probably.
Thanks so much, those pictures were just what I needed. The housing almost becomes non-existant haha. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to buy an extra set of headlights to be on the safe side.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/kingmoocow/Second retro/IMG_6200.jpg
I understand your L-bracket mounting on the bottom but are the top screws not mounted anywhere? The pic from the back seems like it's not. Also, what are some areas of the projector that should be trimmed down?

Thanks for answering my questions guys, retrofit is something I've been interested in for a long time and definitely don't want to pass up the chance for the experience and let someone else do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now now, that's not fair ;) -- Everyone starts somewhere. I did TSX first, it was far easier, but starting with FXR isn't as bad as starting with LS430 or TL :lmao:
TSX was my first choice but then I wanted bi-xenon and the fx projector is just so attractive. Hey, you live in Atlanta, we could make this a group effort and get a little extra cash for yourself haha.

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,196 Posts
Thanks so much, those pictures were just what I needed. The housing almost becomes non-existant haha. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to buy an extra set of headlights to be on the safe side.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/kingmoocow/Second retro/IMG_6200.jpg
I understand your L-bracket mounting on the bottom but are the top screws not mounted anywhere? The pic from the back seems like it's not. Also, what are some areas of the projector that should be trimmed down?

Thanks for answering my questions guys, retrofit is something I've been interested in for a long time and definitely don't want to pass up the chance for the experience and let someone else do it.
Mine are not bolted on the top at all, they held securely enough with just the bottom - using washers to hold one side up higher than the other...

I didn't trim my projector at all, it's full size in my pictures, but I think there is some fatty bits on the top and sides that can make it a little bit shorter. There's definitely not a LOT left of the housing when you're all done. Just enough to keep it rigid.

TSX was my first choice but then I wanted bi-xenon and the fx projector is just so attractive. Hey, you live in Atlanta, we could make this a group effort and get a little extra cash for yourself haha.
TSX is ok, but only really if you get a good deal on them - they're a little pricey for what you get, so I think you made a good call on the FX-R.

Heh, I actually do some retros on the side for people. Where are you from? I'm actually in Dallas - but just say Atlanta because people know where that is :)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
true. i started off opening headlights to blackhouse, then did morimotos, then did rx330's

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine are not bolted on the top at all, they held securely enough with just the bottom - using washers to hold one side up higher than the other...

I didn't trim my projector at all, it's full size in my pictures, but I think there is some fatty bits on the top and sides that can make it a little bit shorter. There's definitely not a LOT left of the housing when you're all done. Just enough to keep it rigid.

TSX is ok, but only really if you get a good deal on them - they're a little pricey for what you get, so I think you made a good call on the FX-R.

Heh, I actually do some retros on the side for people. Where are you from? I'm actually in Dallas - but just say Atlanta because people know where that is :)
Sounds in line with what I've been thinking. I feel fairly confident about doing it, especially after getting a good look in your pics. Instead of spending the extra $$ on tsx i'm just going to use a new set of headlights.
I live just south of Macon Georgia.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
true. i started off opening headlights to blackhouse, then did morimotos, then did rx330's
See we're in the same boat, i've blackhoused and wanna retrofit. just want to skip what seems to be an easier retro with the morimoto and get something i'll be happy with for a long time.

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,196 Posts
You'll do fine with it. The key is patience. If you start rushing, you'll make mistakes. Second key is to trim a little, then test. You can't put it back (right) after you cut it off :)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I say do more hw and make sure you know what you need first. Then plan out what you want to do. A second set of headlights is a must if its your first time. I know I helped instructed my buddy tommy to do it. His was nuts did it all in 1 night and redid them 1 or 2 more times? lol So yeah take your time, test filaments, and test alignment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts