Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some bulbs that needed to be replaced in moonroof and heated seats switches. I researched the subject and there were few sugestions to use radio shack bulbs as an alternative to Honda parts. The problem with radio shack part is that it rated 12V while Honda calls for 14V 40mA, 14V 60 mA.
I googled and found 2 sources that sell exact specs bulbs for cents.
14V 40 mA
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/LP-23/14V-40MA-T-1-3MM-LAMP/1.html
This one 14V 65 mA
http://www.bulbtown.com/8111_MINIATURE_BULB_WIRE_TERMINAL_BASE_p/8111.htm
Well, of course, the shipping is ridiculous but I bought more than a couple bulbs (probably more than enough).

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
yugin: This is good info. When mine went I decided to NOT go with Radio Shack or any other aftermarket because I only needed 4 bulbs- so I ordered from Curry Acura and it had free shipping.

You can save $2-$3 per bulb by going to Radio Shack (or even more with your excellent links), buying bulbs, and re-using your "base"- but if you only have a few bulbs you may find it worth your while to order from the stealership. I think for me I was right at the cut-off.

And of course, after I ordered the four from the stealership my cousin remarks that he has 6 bulbs out! Timing is everything....

What was shipping for you? $5? $6?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just bought my Accord the other day and noticed the moonroof switch was not lighted. I couldn't be sure if it was supposed to be lighted or not until I saw this thread.

How hard is it to change the bulb?

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Fellow Chicago-land-ian: It is very easy-....Not sure what year your car is or what model, but this should help:

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/...tomatic/electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel/switch

"You don't have to pry out the switch panel, remove the screw at the bottom of the lower panel and drop that. Then reach up and unclip and release the button from the panel and disconnect the harness." from a post by Hillstones a few years ago....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Fellow Chicago-land-ian: It is very easy-....Not sure what year your car is or what model, but this should help:

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/...tomatic/electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel/switch

"You don't have to pry out the switch panel, remove the screw at the bottom of the lower panel and drop that. Then reach up and unclip and release the button from the panel and disconnect the harness." from a post by Hillstones a few years ago....
Thanks very much neighbor! At the time I wrote that post, I didn't have a signature yet... 2007 Accord Sedan I4 EX-L

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
You are welcome! Oh, an '07 EX-L? Look how fancy!

Check to see if any other bulbs are burned out. If it is only 1 or 2, it would be cheapest to order from Curry Acura in Scarsdale, NY as they have free shipping. If you are handy you can get the bulbs from yugin's post (listed above).

Only tips I have are:
1) If you are going to use any pry tools, spend the $5 and get a set of nylon mini-pry tools. Do NOT use the screwdriver method as sooner or later you will scratch the dashboard.
2) Make sure the ignition is OFF when you swap bulbs.
3) The moonroof ones are easy, just unscrew it and reach from "behind" the switch assembly. Once you are looking at the assembly, all you need is a small flathead screw driver to gently unscrew the bulb's base about 1/2 a turn.
4) The bulbs are tiny so you will freak out that you just spent $5 for it, lol. Radio Shack can save you $3 but you have to re-use your existing bulb's base.

Curry Acura:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214999

Just noticed you used to have the ZRX 1200.....nice.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
You are welcome! Oh, an '07 EX-L? Look how fancy!

Check to see if any other bulbs are burned out. If it is only 1 or 2, it would be cheapest to order from Curry Acura in Scarsdale, NY as they have free shipping. If you are handy you can get the bulbs from yugin's post (listed above).

Only tips I have are:
1) If you are going to use any pry tools, spend the $5 and get a set of nylon mini-pry tools. Do NOT use the screwdriver method as sooner or later you will scratch the dashboard.
2) Make sure the ignition is OFF when you swap bulbs.
3) The moonroof ones are easy, just unscrew it and reach from "behind" the switch assembly. Once you are looking at the assembly, all you need is a small flathead screw driver to gently unscrew the bulb's base about 1/2 a turn.
4) The bulbs are tiny so you will freak out that you just spent $5 for it, lol. Radio Shack can save you $3 but you have to re-use your existing bulb's base.

Curry Acura:
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214999

Just noticed you used to have the ZRX 1200.....nice.....
Very helpful advice indeed, especially the bit about the nylon pry tools. Also, look again... I will n e v e r sell my ZRX!

·
Registered
840 Posts
When I did the sunroof and VSA switch bulbs I removed the switch panel and then each one. Takes literally seconds. Bought the bulbs from the dealer

I used to have a 2005 Ninja ZX10R. lol

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
Hi-Jack in progress:
Suzuki Bandit 600
Harley-Davidson Sportster 883 (Don't waste your money...really, don't)
Neighbor's Suzuki GS 1000e Super Bike (like a bad guy in Mad Max) To this day- fastest bike I ever road. Regularly hit 150 mph on runways like a stroll through the park. Now, turning at 30mph? Well, plan about a 1/4 mile ahead of time, lol.
Honda CB750 Nighthawk

Bike-less now....thinking of picking up a 250cc and driving over to Elston Ave and renew it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not to get sidetracked, but the Kawasakis, especially the ZRXs have a fanatical following, and deservedly so. One heck of a motorcycle. I love that bike and belong to a forum called ZRXOA where a lot of passionate people talk ZRXs, just like we talk Accords here!

·
Registered
840 Posts
2004 Ninja ZX6R
2005 Ninja ZX6R
2005 Ninja ZX10R
2005 GSXR 600

My next one, whenever that may be, will be a 06-07 CBR1000RR

After about 2008, sportbike design went to hell

·
Registered
39 Posts
2004 Ninja ZX6R
2005 Ninja ZX6R
2005 Ninja ZX10R
2005 GSXR 600

My next one, whenever that may be, will be a 06-07 CBR1000RR

After about 2008, sportbike design went to hell
CBR1000RR is a very cool bike with Honda reliability and value going for it as well

1 - 13 of 13 Posts