Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Looks great. I wanted to paint mine black as well. How much did the paint cost?

·
Vtahk didnt kick in
2,786 Posts
yea paint sticks better and takes rock chips better depending on how many coats you apply

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so u painted it on instead of spraying it?
Yeah, I took out the pads and thoroughly cleaned everything down. The prep work took forever, but it's probably the most critical step. I pretty much followed their directions from the youtube instructional video

The epoxy has the cool characteristic of self leveling...so there aren't any brush marks.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks great. I wanted to paint mine black as well. How much did the paint cost?
It's under $40 for a kit. I bought an additional can of brake parts cleaner and some latex gloves...so total job for me was under $45.

The Honda decals were off eBay..maybe $5.

The epoxy is rated for 900F +, so it can take heat. And once it hardens, it would take quite a blow to chip it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looks good. Did the same paint kit and caliper sticker about 10k miles ago and its holding up great.

·
1 UP
803 Posts
i was ganna do it as well, with g2 paint, but im just to lazy and have other mods i want to do first.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i was ganna do it as well, with g2 paint, but im just to lazy and have other mods i want to do first.
I sat on it for months. I wanted to wait for it to cool down, as the directions state that 50-70F is the best temperature to paint in. Another guy did it in the summer, and he said it started curing/hardening way too quickly.

I won't lie...it took me a lot of time. From jacking up the entire car, removing tires, disassembling and cleaning all brake parts, masking and finally painting....probably took me 4 or 5 hours. Plus they require 24 hours to fully cure before the car can be driven.

When the wheels were off, I swapped out my fogs to 2500k Nokya's. It was a busy day working on the 8th gen today.

·
1 UP
803 Posts
I sat on it for months. I wanted to wait for it to cool down, as the directions state that 50-70F is the best temperature to paint in. Another guy did it in the summer, and he said it started curing/hardening way too quickly.

I won't lie...it took me a lot of time. From jacking up the entire car, removing tires, disassembling and cleaning all brake parts, masking and finally painting....probably took me 4 or 5 hours. Plus they require 24 hours to fully cure before the car can be driven.

When the wheels were off, I swapped out my fogs to 2500k Nokya's. It was a busy day working on the 8th gen today.
looks good, worth it ^^

·
Registered
468 Posts
looks good. good job. i did the blue. but i was going to do the honda sticker as well but didn't end up finding it anywhere. could you give me a link to it?

·
1 UP
803 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, I took out the pads and thoroughly cleaned everything down. The prep work took forever, but it's probably the most critical step. I pretty much followed their directions from the youtube instructional video

The epoxy has the cool characteristic of self leveling...so there aren't any brush marks.
Hey Hittman, nice job. I'm going to order the G2 also becuase my calipers look horrible now.

Did you disconnect the calipers from the brake line and do all the work on a bench?

The G2 instructions say to just leave the calipers on but I question whether my old, worn calipers can be properly cleaned and painted this way. Thanks.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Hittman, nice job. I'm going to order the G2 also becuase my calipers look horrible now.

Did you disconnect the calipers from the brake line and do all the work on a bench?

The G2 instructions say to just leave the calipers on but I question whether my old, worn calipers can be properly cleaned and painted this way. Thanks.
LOL - /dev/null... Unix or Linux? Maybe I'm a geek for catching that :naughty:

I didn't disconnect the brake lines. I did pull the pads and pulled the caliper bolts out to do so. I didn't have a bleeder at the time. The G2 kit contains a can of brake parts cleaner. I bought an additional can from AutoZone. The cleaning, prep and masking took me a while. But it's the most important part. Take your time and do it right. Once it is clean, the actual painting part is easy. Just remember if you apply the G2 in the heat, that epoxy will dry up faster. I did it in the Texas "winter" (75F), so conditions were perfect. I also painted the exhaust tips with the left overs:

As for the durability, the G2 looks as good today as the day I put it on. And the decals are holding up nicely too!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts